Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DSC_0392x2.jpg
DSC_0394.jpg
DSC_0391.jpg

I just got this musket the other da, and wanted to see if anyone knew any more about it. It's an U.S. M1816 Remington, with a Maynard Tape primer system. It's not in the best condition, but it's a slick gun. It is cutdown, though, but it doesn't really look like it was done by some farmer after the war for use as a shotgun. It looks to be a musketoon. The tag on the gun said that it was a "New Orleans" cutdown, as well. I'm not sure what that means. It also has the number "19" engraved on the other side of the stock opposite of the lockplate.

Anyways, just wanted to share, it's a cool gun either way.

Upvote 8

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great score! It's not cut down as they did make 2 band versions as well as 3 bands. 2 bands were used by non-infantry units (Cavalry, Dis-mounted Cavalry, Artillery...etc).

Infantry used the 3 band versions as the 2nd rank needed enough clearance when firing behind the 1st rank.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. Didn't know that
Yep, being a former CW Reenactor has its advantages! The idea was to keep the 2nd & 3rd bands by the front ranks head. If you got too close, then the cap/hammer was right next to the front ranks ear.

NOT fun when that happened. Ask me how I know, lol! Sometimes we'd put cotton in the right ear to at least not go completely deaf.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread