What's new

Nice point today

Pancake

Full Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2012
Messages
194
Reaction score
158
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mass.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got in a nice long beach walk before the rain started today. Found a couple decent broken ones and this really sweet little point.

IMG_3864.webp
 
Upvote 0
Cool point. Way different material than I'm used to. It almost looks gritty. Is it some sort of silicafied sandstone?
 
Cool find! :icon_thumright: The material kind of looks like slate, but hard to tell for sure.
 
Last edited:
Well, glad I can help on the material, as it is common in southern New England. It's called hornfels. It's another volcanic like felsite and rhyolite. It is a very good lithic by New England standards. The Jack's Reef people preferred jasper for their finely made points and hornfels was their second choice because it was very knappable. That may be Braintree hornfels, quarried south of Boston, or it may be another variety of hornfels. Very nice point!
 
Here are points made from different varieties of hornfels. Not quite the shade of Pancake's point, but it is the same material. My wife and I found points made from hornfels for years without knowing what the material was. These are all from RI. As you can see in the case of the triangle, the material flakes very well. Actually, it's our best triangle, found by my wife.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    232.1 KB · Views: 162
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    36.7 KB · Views: 119
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    98.8 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Nice info. And examples. Seeing alot of the Northern contingent lately. You guys must be hunting instead of posting when its warmer.
 
Beautiful points and thanks for the info. I've been curious about the stone and I couldn't quite place it. I don't seem to see rocks made of it here. One of the broken points I found yesterday is made of the same exact stuff. Same color etc.. Found on the same beach, not all that far apart.

IMG_3866.webp
 
Beautiful points and thanks for the info. I've been curious about the stone and I couldn't quite place it. I don't seem to see rocks made of it here. One of the broken points I found yesterday is made of the same exact stuff. Same color etc.. Found on the same beach, not all that far apart.

View attachment 747092


Yes, that's hornfels. Interesting point, can't type it but that's one heck of a shoulder barb.
 
Yes, that's hornfels. Interesting point, can't type it but that's one heck of a shoulder barb.

I can't type it either but it sure does have a crazy shoulder. I wish it was complete but It's still really cool.
 
Well, glad I can help on the material, as it is common in southern New England. It's called hornfels. It's another volcanic like felsite and rhyolite. It is a very good lithic by New England standards. The Jack's Reef people preferred jasper for their finely made points and hornfels was their second choice because it was very knappable. That may be Braintree hornfels, quarried south of Boston, or it may be another variety of hornfels. Very nice point!

Hey Charl. Are you a geologist? Impressive, your knowledge of material. I am going to be calling on you for answers going forward.
 
Hey Charl. Are you a geologist? Impressive, your knowledge of material. I am going to be calling on you for answers going forward.

No, I'm no geologist. Just a good working knowledge from collecting artifacts and fossils in southern New England all my life. So I'm familiar with the lithics used here.
 
No, I'm no geologist. Just a good working knowledge from collecting artifacts and fossils in southern New England all my life. So I'm familiar with the lithics used here.

Exactly!!....My turn....lol..... I believe that is a Eshback or Erb blade. By the picture angle it would appear you might have one pancake. That point appears to be basal notched. I am however seeing it from a side view, a face picture of it and base pic would clear that up though.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom