Here's an odd item - any ideas?! Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
(found on a property in central MA that has been lived on since the early 1800's)
It's ~2" in length - here's another pic with it next to a battery (which is about the size of a nickel - I didn't have a coin hand so this had to do!)
Thanks,
Eric
Looks to be similar to a snowmobile track stud. Its use would be to provide traction to prevent the track from spinning on ice. Normally they are made of steel and yours appears to be brass so i could be wrong , could be from an old piece of logging equipment or sugar tapping too. Do a search of woodys studs on google and see something similar.
I'm pretty sure it is brass - and I think it is >100 years old ... but it definitely looks like a snowmobile stud. The property I found it on was a working farm up until the early 1900's ...