What's new

No permit needed?

dirtangel1

Tenderfoot
Joined
Feb 13, 2012
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was told that I didn't need a permit to hunt. I called several agencies and was told a permit was not necessary only the permission

of the property owner. Will someone give me some information on this topic. I live in PA. :icon_scratch:
 
dirtangel1 said:
I was told that I didn't need a permit to hunt. I called several agencies and was told a permit was not necessary only the permission

of the property owner. Will someone give me some information on this topic. I live in PA. :icon_scratch:

On Private property no permit is needed, other than the owner agreeing to let you do it.
Federal needs a permit. Some states need a permit, Counties and citys may have there own laws also.

Learn the laws of your area, have fun.
 
From the context of your post, it appears you're referring to private property, right? If so, why would you think you'd need a "permit" that some govt. agency would give you? :icon_scratch:

But if you meant public sites, very few, if any, locations have a "permit system". A few isolated cities in the entire USA, maybe a couple of counties (out of thousands of them), etc...

If you are skittish about rules/laws, then the way to do what lost-causes says ("Learn the laws of your area") Is to look up the rules, laws, and codes, for yourself. The reason I say this, is that I noticed you say you "called several agencies". The danger of doing that, is that some clerk you call might interpret you question as a form of asking their permission (eg.: "Can I metal detect?"). And that simply leaves your question up for the whims of some desk-clerk to say "no", when maybe there's no real rule specifically saying you can't. Like if they morph something else to apply to your "pressing question", like .... don't disturb earthworms, or whatever. (when in fact, no one might ever have cared or given you a second look).

Better to look up laws/codes for yourself. Nearly every county, city, and state nowadays has web pages now. And from there, find a subsection of municipal codes, park rules, and so forth. If you see no prohibitions on metal detecting (ie.: silent on the issue), then presto, I guess it's not disallowed now is it? :icon_thumleft:
 
Thanks for information .. I'm on it now. :)
 
Yep no permit required on private property. Unless you have a great relationship with the land owner, I'd always try to get a written letter or email from them. I know many of you would say "No property owner is going to sign anything". But you can tell them it's for your safety as well as theirs.
 
Hi Dirtangel1; Just a poece of advice here ok. Many times folks have come to the Forum asking the same questions and then just jumping on them. Let me suggest that you "PLEASE ASK" the guys here on HOW go about finding these Laws "PROPERLY." Second, how to APPLY these Laws and Lastly How to INTERPRET these Laws along with "ANY" situations you may encounter in your journey. I don't know where you live otherwise these guys here would probably be coming over for supper so to speak. !!!!! ;D I guess my best piece of advice to you here is to ASK without going off half crazed and ASK how to interpret these Laws ok. We "have" had Folks come here and drive themselves "CRAZY" because they just don't understand HOW to apply these laws ok. Some of them would be very good candidates for a PROZAC Regimen. :tard: !!!! So please heed my advice and ask ok. Best Wishes. PEACE:RONB :thumbsup:
 
Hey guys How do you interpret these laws, what do you say to a land owner? The information on state parks said metal detecting is acceptable however the only tool allowed is a screwdriver and not any type of shovel. Also I must report any finds to the park office. Most parks have their own laws but how do I interpret them? What about beaches or lakes? What would you say to a first time hunter when going ou to hunt other than putting in many hours to listen to the varioustones on the machine? Any tips on buying a metal detector that is good on land as well as water? Any advice will be appreciated. TY :coffee2:
 
dirtangel1 said:
Hey guys How do you interpret these laws, what do you say to a land owner? The information on state parks said metal detecting is acceptable however the only tool allowed is a screwdriver and not any type of shovel. Also I must report any finds to the park office. Most parks have their own laws but how do I interpret them? What about beaches or lakes? What would you say to a first time hunter when going ou to hunt other than putting in many hours to listen to the varioustones on the machine? Any tips on buying a metal detector that is good on land as well as water? Any advice will be appreciated. TY :coffee2:

"Hi There, My Name is John Doe. I am a local metal detectorist in town. I work at Sears and do this as a hobby. I noticed the large field next to your home. I wanted to ask permission to detect on your land. I will not leave holes or mess up the land in any way."

Then leave it up to them. If they say no or anything, don't push it. Thank them and move on.

About the laws with reporting to the office. That is a scare tactic to try to get people to bring things to them, which they will most likely keep. The people at the office aren't going to be interested in your nickels and dimes, pull tabs, or even a silver necklace. In Central Virginia the public parks are public. I go to most of them and just detect, never asked permission, never got a permit, never had a problem. I believe in, if you leave people alone, they will leave you alone.

But of course if you're annoying people, loud beeps or close to them detecting around them, then it's going to cause problems. Just go off on your own and have fun. Also if police or park rangers come. Walk up to them, shake their hand and explain what you're doing. They are generally called out to check suspicious activity. Meaning someone freaked and thought you had a gun or that you were destroying the property. They will not arrest you and stuff. (Unless your on Federal property, such as a Battlefield).
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom