Noob Finds First Coin in Town Park

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I did it.. I took out my new (slightly used) Equinox 600 and Garrett Pro Pinpointer & went to my town park.
I chose one of the many stately old oaks and somewhat self consciously began searching for the treasure that surely awaits...:zoom:

After about 10 minutes, the machine registered a strong 30 and so I figured I'd get out the small garden trowel I have and started digging.
Sure enough, I dug up this 1965 Washington Quarter. Its of no real value, but its my first find so that's pretty cool... got my heart pumping :laughing7:

I have to admit though... its going to take me a while to discriminate between junk and something cool by just listening to the machine and looking at the numbers.
The way it was acting it looks like there's all kinds of stuff buried there in the park... I just didn't want do start digging with each strong signal I got. I got several low ones in the 1-2 range. Got a few that were from 10-17-24 and figured they're probably tin foil or torn aluminum cans (I dug one up and it ended up being the latter).
I spent about a half hour and left after feeling a bit too self conscious when passersby stared too much. I suppose that'll wear off in time.

20190624_215638.jpg I got the bug... can't wait to go back out tomorrow! :headbang:

Thing is... this park is one that people watch fireworks every July 3rd at night.. I'm sure there's probably a decent amount of coins and possibly jewelry under the grass from decades of celebrations there. Cheers!

Upvote 20

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job! One year off of being silver! Keep it up. If you find several older coins in that area then you know you are in a good spot. Don't let watchers bother you, so far I've never had anyone scowl at me or get mad. So far lots of people, young and old think it's cool and ask questions. Watch out for lots of kids, they can all crowd around you and ask a million and one questions. I left a small park because they wouldn't leave me alone. They're cute... for awhile. When they run around your machine when you put it down and poke it with their stick, you know it's time to move far away or leave lol.

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you broke the ice and got out there. I remember those self conscious days when I first started:laughing7: I would get out at sunrise and leave as soon as it started getting crowded wherever I was detecting but I did get in 2-4 hours of detecting each time. You need to put in the time with your machine so you can learn it well. You need to Dig lots of targets to learn your machine when you first start and that includes lots of trash. Bite the bullet, get out there and dig targets. Learn the correct way to dig a plug in parks and always take your trash with you. I was mainly a beach guy when I first stated because it was easy digging but I love the dirt now too. The main thing is to just have fun. Once that first silver coin, old relic, or first ring finds its way into your pouch you’ll be hooked for life. HH Randy

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! I go in and out of people now. The more normal you act the more normal they will act. Have fun, you have as much right to be there as they do!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first coin. One piece of advice, I keep trash and clad in one part of a pouch, and good stuff in another pocket. When people come up to me and ask what I'm finding, I just tell them trash and clad coins. Depending on the area you are hunting, and the "element of people" that hang around that area, you don't want to find yourself being a victim because you show them silver coins or jewelry. You can usually tell, by looking at the person what their nature is, and 99 % of the people are good and just curious, but it only takes one. In time, you will get use to detecting in the parks with people around. I like to be at my places by 6:00 a.m. when no one is out there. That way when people start showing up around 10 or 11, I'm ready to go home anyway.

OP
OP
ROIGuy

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job! One year off of being silver! Keep it up. If you find several older coins in that area then you know you are in a good spot. Don't let watchers bother you, so far I've never had anyone scowl at me or get mad. So far lots of people, young and old think it's cool and ask questions. Watch out for lots of kids, they can all crowd around you and ask a million and one questions. I left a small park because they wouldn't leave me alone. They're cute... for awhile. When they run around your machine when you put it down and poke it with their stick, you know it's time to move far away or leave lol.

Thanks for your encouragement! I'll watch out for the little guys:laughing7:

OP
OP
ROIGuy

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you broke the ice and got out there. I remember those self conscious days when I first started:laughing7: I would get out at sunrise and leave as soon as it started getting crowded wherever I was detecting but I did get in 2-4 hours of detecting each time. You need to put in the time with your machine so you can learn it well. You need to Dig lots of targets to learn your machine when you first start and that includes lots of trash. Bite the bullet, get out there and dig targets. Learn the correct way to dig a plug in parks and always take your trash with you. I was mainly a beach guy when I first stated because it was easy digging but I love the dirt now too. The main thing is to just have fun. Once that first silver coin, old relic, or first ring finds its way into your pouch you’ll be hooked for life. HH Randy

Will do.. I dug a small plug but had to dig a little deeper than the plug. I'll bring a cloth with today to spill the plug and dirt on top of so I can replace it and try to make it look like I was never even there. Thanks!

OP
OP
ROIGuy

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! I go in and out of people now. The more normal you act the more normal they will act. Have fun, you have as much right to be there as they do!

We're going to Carolina Beach at the end of July for vacation. I imagine I'll be doing a lot of that there unless I can get my butt out of bed early :happysmiley:

OP
OP
ROIGuy

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first coin. One piece of advice, I keep trash and clad in one part of a pouch, and good stuff in another pocket. When people come up to me and ask what I'm finding, I just tell them trash and clad coins. Depending on the area you are hunting, and the "element of people" that hang around that area, you don't want to find yourself being a victim because you show them silver coins or jewelry. You can usually tell, by looking at the person what their nature is, and 99 % of the people are good and just curious, but it only takes one. In time, you will get use to detecting in the parks with people around. I like to be at my places by 6:00 a.m. when no one is out there. That way when people start showing up around 10 or 11, I'm ready to go home anyway.

Very good point. I have a Garrett bag that came with my setup and it has a large pouch and an inner smaller zippered pouch. I'll start using it like you suggest especially when I drive up to Chicago to do the beaches and parks.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
You now have the bug!!! Before you know it, you won’t leave your house without a machine

:laughing7:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! Only 1 year off from it being a silver coin. You will get a lot of signals in a heavily trafficked park. I’m an advocate of cherry picking sites like these. Park1, no Horseshoe, sensitivity 21. Look for anything 19-31 that you can get a tight small signal in all 4 directions when swinging the target. Also if the target is loud lift the coil 10” and swing, if you can still hear it you most likely have a beer can.
After you get a hang of the machine and have some luck cherry picking you can add in VDI’s 11-14 for Nickels. Then eventually dig all signals 1-40 that feel right. There is a learning curve, so stay positive and keep sharing your finds.
(FYI, I have the same detector and pinpointer, awesome machines!)

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job, You might try 5 tones for a while if your not already. 50 tones can be overwhelming if your not used to it in a park setting.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job on the coin! Enjoy the hobby this will bring you the greatest treasure. :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save the first one in a soevial holder this is the first of many

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job on the firstcoin! It takes time to get used to the machine and what it's saying, be patient, do your research on the machine and sites and I assure you the success won't be far off- GL!

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting over the being self-conscious while metal detecting is easy. Next time do it in the nude, then you know nobodies paying attention to your metal detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread