What's new

North East Florida Treasure....Please help me identify these coins...

AdamBuchanan

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2010
Messages
85
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
Keystone Heights, FL
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, a few days ago, I hunted an old camp in North Florida , in past hunts I've found silver quarters, silver dimes, and rings due to the high usage of the camp .. I hit an area in which I dug five coins in which I know are old however cannot date them.. I went back today with my dad .. he found 9 more of these type coins in which we have no idea how old they are.. Here are the five from the first hunt a few days ago..there are single photos of the best coins that my dad found today.. I hunt with the PRL whites, my dad uses the Whites Eagle SL II, any and all help would be great..
 

Attachments

  • untitled-20-1.webp
    untitled-20-1.webp
    7.2 KB · Views: 2,073
  • untitled-1-1.webp
    untitled-1-1.webp
    14.3 KB · Views: 2,939
  • untitled-3-1.webp
    untitled-3-1.webp
    17.3 KB · Views: 2,892
  • untitled-4-1.webp
    untitled-4-1.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 2,936
  • untitled-5-1.webp
    untitled-5-1.webp
    11.4 KB · Views: 2,919
  • untitled-6-1.webp
    untitled-6-1.webp
    6.1 KB · Views: 2,932
  • untitled-9-1.webp
    untitled-9-1.webp
    6.6 KB · Views: 2,875
  • untitled-8-1.webp
    untitled-8-1.webp
    7.2 KB · Views: 2,916
Those coins are ancient coins, you will not find dates on them. The way to identify them is through the inscriptions on the front and back. If I might guess they look to be ancient Roman coins. But it is only a guess. Several guys on here detect in England and could give you a much better idea of the age and who the emperor's are. How they got there is just a guess. They could have been someones ancient coin collection and kids decided to play with them in the yard. Or they could have been off of an auction web site and the owner just deciede that they are junk and tossed them out of the back door. I do know that I would be back there doing a complete grid search to find additional coins! Not everyday you can dig up Roman coins in Florida!!!!!
 
Upvote 0
Phoenicians. :wink: :D

Welcome to the forum. Ill take a wild guess that some kid lost an ancient replica collection. Im basing this on the fact you dont generally find ancient coins in the USA unless someone lost a coin from their collection.

Of course anythings possible. We have several members from Europe that are knowlegable on ancients because I am not. Crusader is one member that can help.
 
Upvote 0
I do agree,, very far from home.... I do hope the fellows from England may recognize the coins.. I was telling my dad about them before the hunt today and showed him the original five from a few days ago and he said before I research these coins ,, where did you buy them.. lol.. I laughed and said I didn't.. I told him I hit the area quick and the coins were 6-8 inches deep.. but I didnt really think much about them.. I threw them in my apron and kept swinging.. I told my dad , I didn't spend much time in the area where I found them so there may be a few more.. So sure enough when I took him back today I knew he wanted to find some of his own.. well.. he sure did,, he cleaned out the area pretty good,,he found 9 more .. we spent a while going over and over the area.. but I'm sure after the next good rain and we hit it again we should find a few more.. hopefully .. I did find a 1932 dime today but it was a little overshadowed..lol... Thanks again for all the input !
 
Upvote 0
please post the additional coins found, that way we can have a better look at them, and help ID those coins also.
 
Upvote 0
Can you identify the metal?
 
Upvote 0
Here are three others.. the condition is worse.. but still a coin but you just can't tell whats what on it.. The coins on the Whites Eagle II Sl are hitting on 25 to 51 range.. We aren't sure on the metal make up..
 

Attachments

  • untitled-27-1.webp
    untitled-27-1.webp
    6.5 KB · Views: 2,778
  • untitled-26-1.webp
    untitled-26-1.webp
    7.6 KB · Views: 2,738
  • untitled-15-1.webp
    untitled-15-1.webp
    10.6 KB · Views: 2,837
Upvote 0
Here's what the first one is.Should be silver.(Roman)
Septimius Severus Silver Denarius
 

Attachments

  • calnum_Silver%20Denarius[1].webp
    calnum_Silver%20Denarius[1].webp
    20.4 KB · Views: 3,037
Upvote 0
pic 6-1 and 8-1 look like aliens.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
BigCy -- d'ya think the Romans were here too ?!?! :dontknow: :laughing9: :hello:

Maybe even Piltdown man made it here from
England! :o
 
Upvote 0
Erik in NJ said:
BigCy -- d'ya think the Romans were here too ?!?! :dontknow: :laughing9: :hello:

Maybe even Piltdown man made it here from
England! :o
Gloria Farley would love this. ;D

Its a mystery as to how these coins got there. I dont know anything about ancients and I was just guessing about replicas considering how and where they were found. Comparing to timekillers link they may be authentic. :dontknow:

I wonder if a metal detecting club seeded the area? :dontknow: :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
The top coin reverse reminds me of Jupiter standing left, holding Victory on globe and scepter, similar to the main feature on this coin's reverse: http://www.coinarchives.com/a/lotvi...&Lot=476&Val=0634c4eb3cc79aeff430f597865fc86f

On the obverse my eyes see VS (for the last two letters of the emperor's name) then PF (Pius Feliz; the dutiful) and AVG (Augustus--Emperor). Unfortunately, I can't read any letters of the emperor's name.
Don.....
 
Upvote 0
:read2:

The first coin looks like a AE Follis of Maximianus..late 2nd century, the second coin's like a 3rd century coin, perhaps Constans, or Constantine11 there are several Roman coins with very similar portraits, the reverse looks like Victory advancing.

The reverses of two of the coins with figures standing is 2 soldiers holding spears with 1 standard between them, and 2 standards between them. Very difficult to get the correct ID with out any legends, but all the coins look real to me, and of typical condition,found in the ground.

They are all Bronze coins, and can come from the ground in different colours, from what you might think :o
Outher might chime in with a bit more imfo, my eyes are not what they were :laughing9:

SS
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Phoenicians. :wink: :D

Welcome to the forum. Ill take a wild guess that some kid lost an ancient replica collection. Im basing this on the fact you dont generally find ancient coins in the USA unless someone lost a coin from their collection.

Of course anythings possible. We have several members from Europe that are knowlegable on ancients because I am not. Crusader is one member that can help.
Not as unexpected as you might think Big C :P........... Roman coins have been found in Venezuela and Maine.
Roman coins were found in Texas at the bottom of an Indian mound at Round Rock. The mound is dated at approximately 800 AD.
In 1957 by a small boy found a coin in a field near Phenix City, Alabama, from Syracuse, on the island of Sicily, and dating from 490 B.C.
In the town of Heavener, Oklahoma, another out-of-place coin was found in 1976. Experts identified it as a bronze tetradrachm originally struck in Antioch, Syria in 63 A.D. and bearing the profile of the emperor Nero.
In 1882, a farmer in Cass County, Illinois picked up bronze coin later identified as a coin of Antiochus IV, one of the kings of Syria who reigned from 175 B.C. to 164 B.C., and who is mentioned in the Bible.

I have posted a link to a interesting discussion, of how Ancient Greek/Roman coins turn up in strange places :icon_thumleft:

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=21428.0

SS
 
Upvote 0
The Native American Mound story peaked my curiosity. My Paw Paw would tell me stories about when he was young in West Virginia. In 1939 he was 7yr old, he would play in the crawl space under their house. He was digging to make a larger play area and about a foot down he started finding beads and strings of leather, then arrowheads. He kept digging and found a small pouch with odd coins, a axe head then he found a bone which later he found out was femur. He got scared and got his dad, he called the doctor/coroner/mortician they where one in the same back there and the sheriff. The house had been in the family sense the late 1700's we think 1789 not positive. So whatever was there was already there when the house was built. They exhumed the body and the artifacts and it was a Native American burial site, they took everything and {there is no way to be sure} told them they thought maybe 1400's. I showed Paw Paw the pictures of the coins and some others, the only one he remembers is the first Pic which is also the one Timekiller posted. If this is correct and the estimated timeline is close then would history be wrong? or if correct then maybe Christopher Columbus {1492} brought them for trade with the Natives?. My grate Grandfather was white and my grate Grandmother was Cherokee maybe they circulated through the Tribes and got distributed throughout North America.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom