North mississippi

blaylock

Feb 12, 2013
northeast ms
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too am new to the site and from smithville. Its been a long time since I've done any searching but am looking forward to getting back into it. I just got me a new detector today, give me a few days to get familiar with it and I'd be interested in going.

OP
OP
tcase13

tcase13

Greenie
Jan 23, 2013
Amory, MS
blaylock said:
I too am new to the site and from smithville. Its been a long time since I've done any searching but am looking forward to getting back into it. I just got me a new detector today, give me a few days to get familiar with it and I'd be interested in going.

I will be ready. I really need to look into finding some old maps around bigbee. I got a few places to look at around here. Just would be nice to find something to tell us where stuff was back then.

Kc5niy

Greenie
Jan 20, 2013
Near Tupelo MS
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack POS
Fisher 12XX (dont remember model number)
Tesoro Cortez; Silver Umax, Silver Saber II (still using), DeLeon (still using)
Whites MXT Pro (Just got)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tcase13. I live in Nettleton and am originally from Okolona. There was a crossing during the civil war somewhere south of Bigbee and probably just south of 278 that saw a LOT of foot and Calvary traffic between 1863 and 1865. With that kind of bottleneck theres got to be something good there that was dropped. Good luck.

OP
OP
tcase13

tcase13

Greenie
Jan 23, 2013
Amory, MS
Tcase13. I live in Nettleton and am originally from Okolona. There was a crossing during the civil war somewhere south of Bigbee and probably just south of 278 that saw a LOT of foot and Calvary traffic between 1863 and 1865. With that kind of bottleneck theres got to be something good there that was dropped. Good luck.

That sounds good. I got a place I can go right here on hwy 6 if you ever want to catch up sometimes.

Kc5niy

Greenie
Jan 20, 2013
Near Tupelo MS
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack POS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds cool. It will be a couple of weeks before I'm able buy I'll hit ya back before the

Kc5niy

Greenie
Jan 20, 2013
Near Tupelo MS
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack POS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
before then. sorry,

digginthesouth

Greenie
Mar 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I am from Itawamba county but grew up in Monroe. I am new to detecting... like this is the first week, lol. I am just wondering if someone could help me to understand the laws of this area when it comes to metal detecting. I have watched tons of videos on youtube about people detecting public places such as parks, schools, etc... and was just wondering if anyone could tell me the legality mumbo jumbo when it comes to public places such as these. Thanks and looking forward to talking to more fellow detectors!!

Kc5niy

Greenie
Jan 20, 2013
Near Tupelo MS
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack POS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I am from Itawamba county but grew up in Monroe. I am new to detecting... like this is the first week, lol. I am just wondering if someone could help me to understand the laws of this area when it comes to metal detecting. I have watched tons of videos on youtube about people detecting public places such as parks, schools, etc... and was just wondering if anyone could tell me the legality mumbo jumbo when it comes to public places such as these. Thanks and looking forward to talking to more fellow detectors!!

Thats a tough question. Try to check on the local ordinances without asking specifically. Most will say 'not allowed' if you ask the specific question about hunting because they either just are not sure and don't want to look it up or they don't like MD'ing or have a preconceived idea of what we do. As far as public property it may be better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Always ask before going on private property. Look for older home sites that may be run down and abandoned and find the property owner for permission. Tot lots where kids play on public property with gravel is a good place to start using and understanding your machine and the way it responded to various metals and coins. School playgrounds are another good "training" spot. However if there are any signs that say NO TRESPASSING AFTER HOURS, respect that unless you have spoken with the principal of that school and got the okay from them. Remember, you want to look for older sites or areas where the ground is as-it-was in the past and no other dirt added later. Y are looking for 6-12 inches and with newer, I mean post 1960's, ground that has been landscaped or filled in you are only going to find current drops or clad in most instances. Good hunting and maybe we can get together sometime this summer and get a local group together for some digging.
Bobby

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Kc5niy gives a good answer so far. It's as he says: Sometimes .... no one cares.... TILL you ask. If there were an actual rule that specifically said "no metal detecting", then fine, go ahead and follow it. But if not specifically prohibited, then ...... it must not be a prohibited activity. To know whether there is anything addressing detecting, you look it up for yourself (as kc5niy says), instead of going to a desk-bound bureaucrat and asking "can I?" (lest the question be construed as "mother may I"). City muni codes, charter, etc... are available for pubic viewing somewhere. Eg.: on the front counter in a binder at city hall. Or on the city website, etc...

Still though, use obvious due discretion. I mean, this doesn't mean that you can go be a nuisance waltzing over people's beach blankets. Go at low traffic times, avoid busy-body lookie lous, etc... (as our hobby has admitted connotations).

Good luck!

digginthesouth

Greenie
Mar 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for the replies. So far to my understanding don't bother asking to hunt on public land that's not posted, detect until your hearts content with a code of ethics until someone runs you off, lol!!! Might hit a park this weekend, tired of digging up the yard. :laughing7:

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kc5niy and Tom_in_CA gave some great advice... When you leave a place after detecting it should look like you were never there... If you do this you should never get hassled... Good Luck!

Last edited:

BC/MS

Aug 1, 2013
NE Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tcase13 and blaylock, as well as the rest of you guys in the area, I would like to get together and learn this new hobby. I too live in Smithville, am new to this site (my first post) and just got a new Tesoro Compadra. So far finding mostly penny's and pull tabs but loving every minute of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread