What's new

not a clue!

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
2,382
Reaction score
100
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
Any ideas about that this is? ???
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0637.webp
    IMG_0637.webp
    29.4 KB · Views: 715
  • IMG_0638.webp
    IMG_0638.webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 687
  • IMG_0639.webp
    IMG_0639.webp
    12.4 KB · Views: 689
  • IMG_0640.webp
    IMG_0640.webp
    19.1 KB · Views: 689
"Did you read the link johnnyi "

Apparently you didn't read my previous post shaun. I said I can't bring the link up on my computer. I don't know why, but it won't come up. I asked if it was possible for you to briefly state what the link determined the hook object was. Thank you.
 
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
"We said they were hooks. You can do the rest & will watch & wait "

In other words you boys don't have a clue as to what they are, just what they look like? Ha! yes indeed, green check it crusader. We'll call this the "I don't know what it is but it's shaped like a hook" forum good stuff ;D

Ok, just for you, I found it in the book - copper-alloy clothes hook, dating to early 18th- to early 19th Century.

Green check or do you want the clothes types as well, its a hook.
 
Upvote 0
"http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,264912.0.html"



"Scroll down on this post. We find many of these hooks in the UK, not positive what they attached to, might be horse related
This one is solved.




Good for you crusader! YBy the way, you didn't i.d. this just for me though, you i.d.'d it for anybody who wanted to know exactly what this was. Considering you agreed in a previous post that it might be "harness related", I doubt very much that you knew what it was until now either.
Thank you for taking the time to finally possitively i.d. it.
 
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
"http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,264912.0.html"



"Scroll down on this post. We find many of these hooks in the UK, not positive what they attached to, might be horse related
This one is solved.




Good for you crusader! YBy the way, you didn't i.d. this just for me though, you i.d.'d it for anybody who wanted to know exactly what this was. Considering you agreed in a previous post that it might be "harness related", I doubt very much that you knew what it was until now either.
Thank you for taking the time to finally possitively i.d. it.



Here's mine, don't know what hung on them :-\
 

Attachments

  • hooks 001-1.webp
    hooks 001-1.webp
    17.7 KB · Views: 388
  • hooks 001-1.webp
    hooks 001-1.webp
    17.7 KB · Views: 398
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
"http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,264912.0.html"



"Scroll down on this post. We find many of these hooks in the UK, not positive what they attached to, might be horse related
This one is solved.




Good for you crusader! YBy the way, you didn't i.d. this just for me though, you i.d.'d it for anybody who wanted to know exactly what this was. Considering you agreed in a previous post that it might be "harness related", I doubt very much that you knew what it was until now either.
Thank you for taking the time to finally possitively i.d. it.
You make me laugh. My guess about horse related could still be right. I put what the book says to keep you happy. In my experience I have found too many of these (very common items which no-one in the UK cares about, let alone studies) just to be 'clothes hooks'. Many different sizes & shapes makes me think some went on the working horses as well. Prove me wrong.
 
Upvote 0
Hey crusader, you are the one who said "green check it" it is identified, not me. Obviously it is not. ;D
 
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
Hey crusader, you are the one who said "green check it" it is identified, not me. Obviously it is not. ;D

Depends if the poster believes the book.

I have seen you on many post asking others to show evidence & add positively to the ID, why don't you help ID it. I know I have done my best, what have you done.
 
Upvote 0
What about a mouth piece for a musical instument? The reason why I say that is that the lower end piece looks like its hollow in the middle and that it maybe filled with hard soil. Have you checked to see if you can clean it out? Just a guess.

Your Friend,

Steve in Michigan
 
Upvote 0
what you have there I have seen them when I was a kid on the farm and found some tapped into maple trees and left there so I am thinking you have a spout. they was used on maple and other trees to get the sap and ??? out.(Spile or Spout – A tubular device inserted (tapped) into a tree to drain sap.)the size looks to be about right too and it looks to be hollow at least in the pics.
 
Upvote 0
Steve in Michigan said:
What about a mouth piece for a musical instument? The reason why I say that is that the lower end piece looks like its hollow in the middle and that it maybe filled with hard soil. Have you checked to see if you can clean it out? Just a guess.

Your Friend,

Steve in Michigan

If it what I stated he will find it hard to scrap off the iron fixing which has rusted to the base.
 
Upvote 0
allen said:
is it or isnt it i.d then ?
i saw several good guesses and im
curious as heck to know what it is .

Yes, if the poster is happy with the book explanation copper-alloy clothes hook, dating to early 18th- to early 19th Century which funny enough shows a broken one identical to this one stating they are often mistaken for pipetampers. (which will make SS laugh, I think) :wink:
 
Upvote 0
Steve in Michigan said:
What about a mouth piece for a musical instument? The reason why I say that is that the lower end piece looks like its hollow in the middle and that it maybe filled with hard soil. Have you checked to see if you can clean it out? Just a guess.

Your Friend,

Steve in Michigan

I'm thinkin the same thing...looks like a mouthpiece for a trumpet or some other kind of brass instrument.
 
Upvote 0
jpitt1970 said:
Steve in Michigan said:
What about a mouth piece for a musical instument? The reason why I say that is that the lower end piece looks like its hollow in the middle and that it maybe filled with hard soil. Have you checked to see if you can clean it out? Just a guess.

Your Friend,

Steve in Michigan

I'm thinkin the same thing...looks like a mouthpiece for a trumpet or some other kind of brass instrument.

seriously, have you read the replies?
 
Upvote 0
Crusader,

I just want to say is that the question was asked "what this item was". I for one didn't think the item had been positively identified yet and that is why I mentioned the posibility of it being a mouth piece. I have never seen coat hooks that looked quite like that. I have seen many instrument mouth pieces thou since I've been a musician for over 35 years and seen them the size that was shown in the picture. You seem to be a little upset that we voiced our opinion, but isn't what this forum is about? Throwing out ideas to see if we can come up with a positive ID.

Steve in Michigan
 
Upvote 0
Steve in Michigan said:
Crusader,

I just want to say is that the question was asked "what this item was". I for one didn't think the item had been positively identified yet and that is why I mentioned the posibility of it being a mouth piece. I have never seen coat hooks that looked quite like that. I have seen many instrument mouth pieces thou since I've been a musician for over 35 years and seen them the size that was shown in the picture. You seem to be a little upset that we voiced our opinion, but isn't what this forum is about? Throwing out ideas to see if we can come up with a positive ID.

Steve in Michigan

Totally happy with that, I do it all the time.
However, I thought we had enough pictures & links to show these had a iron fixing (I guess a screw, but never found a full iron piece) which is also visible in the posters picture.

Where is the poster, to comment?

Does this help:

NB. Just noticed an error in my above post - should read Late-19th Century not Early.
 

Attachments

  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    11.8 KB · Views: 237
  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    15.6 KB · Views: 239
Upvote 0
Are the UK examples hollow as well?
 
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
Are the UK examples hollow as well?

Where is this hollow coming from :icon_scratch: No, none of them are ever hollow (found hundreds), the black dot in the book is iron. If the posters is hollow, then I'm completely wrong.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom