Not much to look at, but its an item off my wish list finally.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not much to look at, but it's an item off my wish list finally.

Today I hunted a house built in the 50s and had a fun and productive day. I could not believe how "clean" the front yard was. I dug pretty much everything pictured in the front yard and found only a brass shell casing (9mm) and two pull tabs. That was it for trash. Nice huh?

Since I started metal detecting in January I've wanted to find a buffalo nickel and today I was luck enough to find one. All I have done to clean it is use a toothbrush and some baking soda paste. I would love to clean it enough to see if it has a date. What is the recommended cleaning method for nickels? The three silvers are #s 47-49 this year. Thanks for looking and HH.

001.jpg
002.jpg

Upvote 14
Nice silver and Buff! Congrats!
Sounds fantastic to hunt a yard with so little trash! The places I go it is hard to ground balance there's so much trash.

Hate to remove the Patina that has formed on nickels. It just makes the coin to me. They do make a solution that you can use on nickels. JimDon brought a bottle to our club meeting a couple months ago. I have sent him a text for the name and will let you know. It works great.

Hate to remove the Patina that has formed on nickels. It just makes the coin to me. They do make a solution that you can use on nickels. JimDon brought a bottle to our club meeting a couple months ago. I have sent him a text for the name and will let you know. It works great.

He might be using Nic-A-Date which I'm told etches the coin to reveal the date.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back