Nova Scotia – Silver US Seated Liberty, V Nickels, and Other Interesting Coins Found!

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This summer I started working one of the sites I had researched during last winter, and had scouted earlier in the spring. What I have been able to ascertain through my research and with some of my coin finds is that this site had once contained a structure that hosted visitors from both here in Canada and abroad. So far I have pulled out a variety of coins and artifacts/relics of various dates and origins and thought I would share some of the more interesting coin examples here. My favorite finds so far are the silver 1891 US Seated Liberty dime, and the two silver US Liberty Head V nickels from 1902 and 1907 respectively. Other silvers include the 1889 British three pence and the 1913 Canadian 5 cent piece which I unfortunately dinged during recovery efforts. The non-silvers include 3 US Indian Head pennies with dates of 1879, 1881, and 1886 which are in various states of condition. I don’t believe any of these coins have much intrinsic value based on rarity; however they are pretty neat finds especially here in NS. I’m not finished with the site yet as I suspect there are more goodies waiting. It is not a huge area however the conditions and terrain can be rough at times. I’m curious and anxious to see what more I can pull from there. Maybe I can realize my dream of finding a Morgan silver dollar after all. LOL! Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting!

1891 US Seated Liberty Dime 1.jpg

1891 US Seated Libert Dime 2.jpg

1902 US V Nickel 1.jpg

1902 US V Nickel 2.jpg

1907 US V Nickel 1.jpg

1907 US V Nickel 2.jpg

1889 British Three Pence 1.jpg

1889 British Three Pence 2.jpg

1913 Canadian Nickel 1.jpg

1913 Canadian Nickel 2.jpg

1879 US Indian Head Penny 1.jpg

1881 US Indian Head Penny.jpg

1886 US Indian Head Penny 1.jpg

1886 US Indian Head Penny 2.jpg

Upvote 9

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job on the cool Silvers.
My IH's are always corroded, at least to a more or less extent, yours look totally corrosion free.

A good site you got going on there.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone must have dropped their coin collection two days before you came along. Great that you were able to recover those cents and nickels before they tarnished. :-X

OP
OP
madforclad

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job on the cool Silvers.
My IH's are always corroded, at least to a more or less extent, yours look totally corrosion free.

A good site you got going on there.

Thanks Rick

Yeah I was surprised at the condition as well. They were put into my tumbler after soaking and came out looking pretty good.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds for your area. last year for the seated dime. I have still never found one.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the kind of site I dream about - Especially when you can find Queen Victoria silvers !!! (I do like the "jubilee" Vickies )
lots of nice coins there - Keep us posted !

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It never seems to amaze me at how many American coins we find on our sites here. It goes to show you how money travelled over the years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread