What's new

Numbness in hands while sleeping / Carpal Tunnel

Johnny Nightmare

Tenderfoot
Joined
Dec 20, 2009
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
My hands have been going numb while sleeping for a few months now. At first I thought maybe I've been sleeping on them strange but that's not the case. Come to find out I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. The only thing I do that might cause that is coin roll hunting. I'm just curious if anyone else has developed this condition?
 
Upvote 0
any repeat motion can cause carpel -- worked 30 years as a chef --the chop chop motion of cutting foods all day long left me with severe carpel in both hands -- I have very little feelings in my hands left , so I have to look at my hands while doing stuff with them because of this
 
ivan salis said:
any repeat motion can cause carpel -- worked 30 years as a chef --the chop chop motion of cutting foods all day long left me with severe carpel in both hands -- I have very little feelings in my hands left , so I have to look at my hands while doing stuff with them because of this

Running chainsaw for hours a day did that for me but when quit that job it went away in couple months. I'd change my routine if were you- do the rolls differently somehow.
 
I had it bad in both hands due to my work, had to have the right one cut on years ago, I asked the dr if they were going to do the left one as well, he said no, " usually one takes care of both". I didn't believe him but it worked, after they cut on the right hand both stopped bothering me.
 
How can you opeen rolls without hurting your wrists?

method #1- steamroller (a little rough on the coins)

method #2- soak them in the tub for a day (a little messy)

method #3- outsource! (makes perfect sense)


Send me all of your rolls, I'll open them and I'll send you back all of the coins. I promise not to peek.

Seriously, good luck with the wrists. I know it hurts.
 
Happened to me as well from typing on the computer and my older age.
You can buy wrist braces to sleep in and that will do the trick. A little
uncomfortable at first, but after a while you don't notice and it will
help ease the syndrom.
 
yep it will do it. i have had it for years and it flares up on me every now and then, most of the time right after i do a large volume. the way i do it now is i crack the roll on the table and it usually splits right down the middle. i don't know the technical name for the technique but it works well after a little practice. the braces work good too at night. doctor told me the only cure is surgery. i also notice problems after carrying several bags of coins in to dump as well.
 
We need to start a thread dedicated to just injuries during CRH activities. I can say that I threw out my back and sholder carrying heavy bags back to the coin machine. Also I do get the tingleing in my wrist from time to time if I do large volumes. I also am on a computer 45 hours a week, that can do it to you also. Good luck with the wrists, I feel your pain.
 
My brother-in-law just had his third surgery for carpal tunnel on the 13th (Wednesday). (they are doing both hands, in 2 surgeries each, for a total of 4).

His was from 45 years of playing guitar. He has felt great after the first two - so now, just one more. He said that if he knew it would feel so much better afterwards, he would have had it done 10 years earlier.

Good luck,

B
 
I used to have Carpel Tunnel.

Here is a little advice...

First start taking an anti inflammatory like Tylenol. This reduces the swelling in your wrist and allows for freer movement and nerve impulses in your hand. NEVER take more than 4000 milligrams in a 24 hour period. Personally I would take at most 2 tabs per day.

Next look into exercises that will stretch out you ligaments and allow for for more blood flow. They really do work extremely well if you do them for 3 to 5 minutes every morning or evening.

Here is a video that explains these exercises in detail. The best exercises to do starts about 2 minutes into it. It was actually moderately painful for me when I first started doing this exercise but I was truly amazed at how well it worked.





I personally no longer have a carpel tunnel so I cant have carpel tunnel syndrome....hehe.

In 2002 my ex wife saw fit to push me through a plate glass window, partially severing my right arm at the wrist. I lost all feeling in my hand except for my pinky finger and on the posterior surfaces of my thumb and hand itself. Everything else is completely numb.

The surgery reattached 8 out of 9 tendons in my hand, an major artery, a major vein, and partially reconnected the nerves (but they didn't completely grow back).

I still do these exercises on occasion because it reduces swelling in my hand and forearm.
 
I got that from the way I tore the rolls open, changed that. I also got a Qray bracelet and it has saved ME taking 600 mg of Ibuprofrin 3X a day. I like the exercise idea too. HH Mark
BTW the best place to get the bracelet is www.wellnessmarketer.com , some people say its all in my head but it worked for me- did take 4 or 5 weeks of wearing it before I cut out the Motrin, one day I forgot and turned out I didn't need it anymore.
 
I had numbness in my hands, i though well maybe my heart so i went to see my DR. He said its normal and not the heart or carpal. He said it was a nerv issue in the elbow and not to worry. What he said was is it the whole hand or just like 3 fingers.

Dew
 
I think it prudent to discuss how to open multiple boxes of coins without overworking the hands.

Personally I have a hobby knife that I use to cut the lip off one side of the wrappers. After that the coins just slide out. I can go through an entire box in 10 minutes. After that its just a matter of looking at the coins.

Of course it destroys the wrapper but without this method or something similar, I doubt if I would be able to do it.
 
Treasure_Hunter said:
I had it bad in both hands due to my work, had to have the right one cut on years ago, I asked the dr if they were going to do the left one as well, he said no, " usually one takes care of both". I didn't believe him but it worked, after they cut on the right hand both stopped bothering me.
I have a real hard time believing this, carpal tunnel is caused by the median nerve being compressed, in surgery they go in and "free" up the nerve or "release it" freeing up one side is not going to effect the other side. I work in the hospital in surgery and I see people getting both sides done, as there is a median nerve on both sides of you, and both can get compressed.
 
Most of my rolls I open by smashing them against edge of counter top- they burst opoen; yeah some open with knife, you know peel end up but it takes more time only do those that am gonna reroll to get rid of, but as said not many most of mine go into Bags.
 
Goes4ever said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
I had it bad in both hands due to my work, had to have the right one cut on years ago, I asked the dr if they were going to do the left one as well, he said no, " usually one takes care of both". I didn't believe him but it worked, after they cut on the right hand both stopped bothering me.
I have a real hard time believing this, carpal tunnel is caused by the median nerve being compressed, in surgery they go in and "free" up the nerve or "release it" freeing up one side is not going to effect the other side. I work in the hospital in surgery and I see people getting both sides done, as there is a median nerve on both sides of you, and both can get compressed.

Goes4ever,

That is what I thought at the time, but here is what I experienced, I had carpal tunnel real bad in both hands, both hands were in pain and both hands were going to sleep, they cut my right wrist, and both of my hands stop hurting and stop falling asleep...

The surgery was done in the late 70's, at that time they offered no gloves or wrist supports to relieve it. I was working construction and part of my job was unloading and stacking concrete blocks off of flat bed trailors for the masons to use. I carried 2 blocks in each hand by laying them side by side and grabbing them in the middle which is what probably caused the carpal tunnel.....
 
i'm not so sure what you have is Carpal Tunnel. you say your hands go numb. when i had CT it was more pain than numbness. i got it from therapy after i got 2 pins and a screw in my right index finger knuckle.( broke it on an idiots face after he threw a bottle at my wife.....Philly.....gotta love it) anyway i think you may have a neck problem as i do. sometimes just the way i'm laying with head on pillow will cause both hands to go numb. i see a chiropractor and have a special pillow which allows me to lay flat.
 
mistergee said:
i'm not so sure what you have is Carpal Tunnel. you say your hands go numb. when i had CT it was more pain than numbness. i got it from therapy after i got 2 pins and a screw in my right index finger knuckle.( broke it on an idiots face after he threw a bottle at my wife.....Philly.....gotta love it) anyway i think you may have a neck problem as i do. sometimes just the way i'm laying with head on pillow will cause both hands to go numb. i see a chiropractor and have a special pillow which allows me to lay flat.

It wasn't just the numbness, I would wake up in the middle of the night with both hands numb and in intense pain, went to two doctors and both said Carp/a Tunnel. I had the surgery in the early 70's to correct it and then I changed careers a few years later. Have not had the problem in over 30 years now....
 
Thanks for all the input. I went to the Dr. and she said she thinks it probably is C.T. but wanted to run a nerve conduction test to find out for sure. I don't have insurance right now and it costs about $800.00 so I refused it. She is running some blood tests though to make sure it's not connected to something else. Haven't got the results in yet. However, I did go to the chiropractor yesterday and he worked over the neck, back, arms and hands. I slept great last night with no numbness or tingling for the first time in over a month. Also my hands were a lot less cramped up today. Anyway, I hope they get better quick cuz I have six boxes to pick this friday.
 
but wanted to run a nerve conduction test to find out for sure.
that is probably an EMG.(Electromyogram) i had this done several times and sadly each time it was worse. believe me it is not a pleasurable experience. you can read more about it here:
http://www.medicinenet.com/electromyogram/article.htm
glad to hear you went to the chiropractor, since you slept pain free this still makes me think you may have a neck problem which will show itself in many different ways. pain shooting down arm through the bicep, numbing and tingling in the hands and fingers, sesations of something crawling on your hand, pain down the back under the shoulder blade....i could go on and on because i had them all. the last time i ad an EMG they said they were getting no reading from my left elbow down to the hand. :icon_scratch: i wonder why it still works and i asked what that meant, they said that i had nerve damage in my neck and elbow. most likely these came from car accidents and from when i used to box. the neck from the accidents where your head is snapped back and then forward. (whiplash) and from boxing where your head is snapped back from frequent blows to the face. also the elbow frrom boxing where you go to throw a punch and miss your target hyperextending the elbow. so basically im messed up. they wanted to go in and remove several discs in my neck but it could have resulted in my neck being fused and i wouldn't be able to turn my head. i refused and went to the chiropractor instead. that was 20 years ago and i still have full range of motion. i see the chiropractor at least 2 times a month. i still have pain but nothing like before. i hear now they have a better operation they can perform where they go through the front of your neck with a small incision and remove the disc with no fusing or loss of range of motion. we'll see. BTW the chiropractor can help you with the carpal tunnel without having to be operated on. hope things work out for you.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom