Numismatic question.

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What to do? I found a 15lb. bag of pennies in my recently deceased wife's closet.
Is it worth looking for something of value? If so, what should I look for?

I also found a 1892 gold half eagle in very good shape. Is Ebay the best bet to get value?
1671309568176.jpeg

TIA.

Last edited:
Upvote 22

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are three primary variables that help determine the value of a coin.
  • Initial Mintage Number. This refers to how many of the coins were originally minted and available in the market.
  • Coin Grade. The better condition your coin is in, the more valuable it can be.
  • Demand.
I will tell you this... your 1892 gold half eagle IS in demand... and they are steadily rising in value.
a 62 grade on this would be well over 700... a 63 grade over 900

a 67 in this coin is over 17k... yours is not a 67 i can safely say... but it will grade over 60 in my opinion.
WHERE it grades is to be seen.
AND IF IT IS A DD.... whew weee... put your seatbelt on... for that coin will be BIG $$$
BUT.. not worth but gold if you dont get it graded.
Again send it off... its cheap in the grand scheme and will net more $ in the end.

Please keep posted on this... i for one am very curious on the end results of these.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bobinsd

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 1929 half eagle is quite a valuable coin, the coin pictured however is a quarter eagle, a 2 1/2 dollar piece which is worth substantially less so I would say you got the more valuable coin.
C'mon Cutler. I know you know better....$2.50??

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C'mon Cutler. I know you know better....$2.50??
Not sure what you mean. Look at the picture of the 1929 gold coin that your sister got, while the picture is not very good, underneath the eagle on the reverse I can clearly see a 2 before dollars. The quarter eagle had the denomination as 2 1/2 DOLLARS, the half eagle had FIVE DOLLARS. It is a quarter eagle not a half eagle. Worth substantially less than a 1929 half eagle.

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be interested in the half eagle ? Shoot me a pm

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
The double eagle seems to cause confusion with many people. It is a $20 piece. I know folks who think $20 is an eagle, $10 is a half, $5 is a quarter. Need to understand $10 is The Eagle.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about common wheats in really good condition ?
If you get into some of the better uncirculated grades they do have some value, but even higher grade circulated common dates go for just a few cents each in bulk.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get into some of the better uncirculated grades they do have some value, but even higher grade circulated common dates go for just a few cents each in bulk.
I am referring to more of the better conditions and your opinion thereof.
Like wheat's that are / would be in the MS condition and IF graded would bring high grades of 63 or higher... pre 1940 era mainly.
I am trying to get your opinion on values of pristine pennies especially in this era ... but also same condition post 1941... if this is what you are referring to only.
And in your opinion is this still the worth you stated ?
IOW's... Do you still think they are only worth minimal values ?... like less than 10$ ? ? ?

I am just trying to wrap my head around what exactly you are refering / meaning.
Like and example of... Like... a common 1949 wheat... but in a grade of say a 67... ? ? ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
bobinsd

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what you mean. Look at the picture of the 1929 gold coin that your sister got, while the picture is not very good, underneath the eagle on the reverse I can clearly see a 2 before dollars. The quarter eagle had the denomination as 2 1/2 DOLLARS, the half eagle had FIVE DOLLARS. It is a quarter eagle not a half eagle. Worth substantially less than a 1929 half eagle.
Am I red faced? Age is not working in my favor. Mentally I was thinking my half eagle was worth $10 rather than $5.

My apologies.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering / waiting on Cutlers response...
I like the fact he seems he knows about coins... i am beginning to think he may be a bit behind the times on current market values.

For... a 1949 Wheat penny in a 67 red... sells for over $2,750 bucks... and has been at that value since 2019.
A 1949 D in red 67 is a solid 700... 1950 red 67 is $2,100... the D in red is $1,250... same with S'
and i could go on and on.
And thats not talking about browns and Red browns and values for those same coins.
There is bunches of money involved with wheats ... all dependent on condition LIKE ALL coins.
Sheesh there are a ton of wheats worth tons of money if they have even a slight nuance of say a "D over S'...
Like the 1944... in red 67 its $20,000.

DO NOT underestimate wheats... heh

The coin world / crowd / market has evolved and has grown exponentially and things are not like the old days.

Perhaps getting a recent book wouldnt hurt Cutler.

Last edited:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering / waiting on Cutlers response...
I like the fact he seems he knows about coins... i am beginning to think he may be a bit behind the times on current market values.

For... a 1949 Wheat penny in a 67 red... sells for over $2,750 bucks... and has been at that value since 2019.
A 1949 D in red 67 is a solid 700... 1950 red 67 is $2,100... the D in red is $1,250... same with S'
and i could go on and on.
And thats not talking about browns and Red browns and values for those same coins.
There is bunches of money involved with wheats ... all dependent on condition LIKE ALL coins.
Sheesh there are a ton of wheats worth tons of money if they have even a slight nuance of say a "D over S'...
Like the 1944... in red 67 its $20,000.

DO NOT underestimate wheats... heh

The coin world / crowd / market has evolved and has grown exponentially and things are not like the old days.

Perhaps getting a recent book wouldnt hurt Cutler.
Exactly what I said, higher grade uncirculated coins have some value. Commons in circulated condition are still only a few cents each. I never said there are no high value wheat cents. You specifically asked about common dates in "really good" condition, what does that mean? "Really good" is not a numismatic grade, Good condition is a lower grade circulated coin, Very Good condition is only slightly better, these are low grade circulated coins worth little more than face value. I am assuming by "really good" condition you are talking about coins in that range. If you want to know about high grade uncirculated coins, perhaps that is what you should ask!

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was this comment i was referring to... the "higher grade" as you put it threw me.

For... common dates in higher grades are worth MUCH more than a "few cents". heh

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was this comment i was referring to... the "higher grade" as you put it threw me.

For... common dates in higher grades are worth MUCH more than a "few cents". heh
Higher grade circulated, very fine, extremely fine, AU, only a few cents each.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Higher grade circulated, very fine, extremely fine, AU, only a few cents each.
Ahh see I was right...... i am gonna have to disagree here.

I can go down a very long list of wheats that even in VG bring money... let alone VF and AU not cents.

Lets look at just a few... The following list is JUST rough VF grades CURRENT values.
This is what they are currently valued and selling for across the board in coin stores.

1909 ... $13 ... in brown its $7.50...1909-S $1,200... brown.. $100
1910-s $18 - $25
1911-D $18.. 1911-s $65
1912 $11... 1912-s $23... 1912-s $55
1913 $14... d $12......S $35
1914 $15... ............................ D = $375 ...... XF condition on this is = $900... a 50 grade pushes it to $1,430

I will stop there... just the Never mind and AU grade... heh

Anyway..... that is just a few of the first years,,,, pretty much anything VF pre 1930 is going to NOT be worth anything below dollars.
Nothing.
Everything ... ALL wheats ... in VF.... will be worth a minimum of 5 cents.
Most decent coin shops / dealers pay 3 or more for junk crap wheats.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are skipping the important part COMMON DATES as repeated several times, of course the better dates are more! Common date circulated wheats are worth a few cents each, no more.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even common EARlier dates sell for no less than 25 cents... most are 50 - 75 cents...all 30's and 40's till 42 ish
In vg-vf grades that is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread