Numismatic question.

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What to do? I found a 15lb. bag of pennies in my recently deceased wife's closet.
Is it worth looking for something of value? If so, what should I look for?

I also found a 1892 gold half eagle in very good shape. Is Ebay the best bet to get value?
1671309568176.jpeg

TIA.

Last edited:
Upvote 22

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, unfortunately there is no set definition, but common date generally refers to 1940’s and 1950’s. Maybe late 1930’s. Before that are generally called early dates. The early dates absolutely sell for more, as the mintage was lower, and survival rates lower. The 1940’s and 1950’s are kind of lumped together because mintage and survival rates are so high. There are certainly exceptions, high grade or errors for example. Any circulated non error cent from 1940 to 1958 is only worth a few cents, and you generally have to sell in bulk to get that. Can we agree on this? Let me add, steel cents a little more, maybe 25 cents or so.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ahh see I was right...... i am gonna have to disagree here.

I can go down a very long list of wheats that even in VG bring money... let alone VF and AU not cents.

Lets look at just a few... The following list is JUST rough VF grades CURRENT values.
This is what they are currently valued and selling for across the board in coin stores.

1909 ... $13 ... in brown its $7.50...1909-S $1,200... brown.. $100
1910-s $18 - $25
1911-D $18.. 1911-s $65
1912 $11... 1912-s $23... 1912-s $55
1913 $14... d $12......S $35
1914 $15... ............................ D = $375 ...... XF condition on this is = $900... a 50 grade pushes it to $1,430

I will stop there... just the Never mind and AU grade... heh

Anyway..... that is just a few of the first years,,,, pretty much anything VF pre 1930 is going to NOT be worth anything below dollars.
Nothing.
Everything ... ALL wheats ... in VF.... will be worth a minimum of 5 cents.
Most decent coin shops / dealers pay 3 or more for junk crap wheats.
Ok, unfortunately there is no set definition, but common date generally refers to 1940’s and 1950’s. Maybe late 1930’s. Before that are generally called early dates. The early dates absolutely sell for more, as the mintage was lower, and survival rates lower. The 1940’s and 1950’s are kind of lumped together because mintage and survival rates are so high. There are certainly exceptions, high grade or errors for example. Any circulated non error cent from 1940 to 1958 is only worth a few cents, and you generally have to sell in bulk to get that. Can we agree on this? Let me add, steel cents a little more, maybe 25 cents or so.
Then there are the cases of insanity bidding it seems. It seems that over the past few years the hammer price on coins have don't made any sense (as why the high price paid) Here is a perfect example of 2 common wheats the sold in a local auction here in the Kingston Ont. area.
Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 7.41.16 PM.png

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then there are the cases of insanity bidding it seems. It seems that over the past few years the hammer price on coins have don't made any sense (as why the high price paid) Here is a perfect example of 2 common wheats the sold in a local auction here in the Kingston Ont. area.
View attachment 2078645
That is an overbid.
But this has nothing to do with the prices i am referring to...
Which is up to date / currently selling and buying prices.
As of today ... world / nationwide... as reported throughout the coin industry and coin shops... again... world and nationwide.
that is just auction overbid.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an overbid.
But this has nothing to do with the prices i am referring to...
Which is up to date / currently selling and buying prices.
As of today ... world / nationwide... as reported throughout the coin industry and coin shops... again... world and nationwide.
that is just auction overbid.
Personally... if you ask me.... i think even the current prices are way low.. and soon to be going up and up.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Personally... if you ask me.... i think even the current prices are way low.. and soon to be going up and up.
I believe there's the generation that hasn't started to influence hte market yet. We have friends that are in the 40 yr old range, they have a sense of what is the value. So that includes the persons time, and a real world value to the item.
Personally I would do a pass on the item, as it is over valued to the point it is above any resale price that would be asked years going forward.
I can post countless examples of common coinage going for really high prices, and I go :dontknow::icon_scratch:

This might be the start to what's going to happen, high values for the common cents-which makes no sense.

Reactions: ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After all... they aren't making any more. heh
I believe there's the generation that hasn't started to influence hte market yet. We have friends that are in the 40 yr old range, they have a sense of what is the value. So that includes the persons time, and a real world value to the item.
Personally I would do a pass on the item, as it is over valued to the point it is above any resale price that would be asked years going forward.
I can post countless examples of common coinage going for really high prices, and I go :dontknow::icon_scratch:

This might be the start to what's going to happen, high values for the common cents-which makes no sense.
Its supply and demand as per anything in this World.
To cut to the chase of what has already begun to happen....
First off....
Serious coin collecting OVERALL was once reserved to mostly the older folks... retirees and so forth... and little to no interest from younger generations.
Now... that is not the case.
Most "collectables" have fallen to the wayside and of no interest to the new generations... but now coinage and media are #1 to them... and the masses of "new collectors" has sparked off a wave of interest and collectors never seen before in the industry... and it will only continue to grow.
People are "holding onto" their old coins more now as well.
With the invention of handheld computer based phones... prices (realistic or not) are quickly available making it much easier to collect and price.... making it "fun" and an investment into futures. (for we all know books are done)
this makes coins one of the FEW hobbies concerning "collecting" something easy and achievable to amass and store and find values.
There is "worth" involved that extends more deeply than most other things that are often collected.... always been that way,,, but the kids are hip to it now and are getting DEEP into it.
Far deeper than their predecessors (granpa's and dads)
Error coins are the "new money" now with the new gen... they can find them in pocket change and getting one is the challenge they all seek... and they are not passing on any wheats or anything else they can get their hands on.
So coins are being searched now on a scale not seen before in the coin trade.
Which will dry them up slowly... and we all know what happens when the supply is lesss than the demand.
Collectors Collections will always have the need to feed.
And they arent making any more of the old ones. heh

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh... and i will point out something else...
I like wheat pennies.
I buy them when i see them at markets and sales... would buy some every week in various amounts.
I use to buy them on a regular basis... now.... I rarely see them.
I mean i see them available online...
But rarely at markets and sales anymore.
Been that way since 2021.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During Covid... when everyone was locked down... and everyone was bored and going through "their stuff".... coins were looked up... and collectors were instantly created.
I have seen a Twentyfold... if not double that of average persons ... NON coin people... who know what they basically have "in dads and grandpas coins".

Before... no one knew crapola... now they are collecting... regardless if they really should or shouldnt... due to any real knowledge's.

The reasoning is.... "I am gonna hold to them... they might be worth some real money one day"

"i am going to pass them down to my kids".... which has been going on all the while of coins.
BUT ! ! !
The kids are keeping them mostly now... whereas before they were selling em off immediately creating a constant influx of new material to market.
But when they are more so keeping them and etc... or selling for better money / top dollars etc...
creating a supply that is slowly drying.

WHICH... is good for all you's that are currently holding and have been.... your collections are increasing in value(s)... IF you have the right stuff in it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread