What's new

Nutting stone double sided

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2010
Messages
1,492
Reaction score
895
Golden Thread
0
Location
md
Quick cold hunt this morning. Site had been hit pretty heavy by someone spreading out and going through the washed up rock piles. I stayed to the less hit areas. Found the nutting stone pretty quick. Only my second one and its a small one. Divots on both side. Also found a few quartz rough tools. A pipe stem and a weird black cylinder. It's not metal or plastic. Feels like stone in texture and weight. Maybe slate which we have a lot of. It's so perfectly shaped though which makes me thick its probably not Native American. Any ideas?
 

Attachments

  • image-2030135576.webp
    image-2030135576.webp
    50.1 KB · Views: 206
  • image-2992083201.webp
    image-2992083201.webp
    70.9 KB · Views: 160
  • image-2017372204.webp
    image-2017372204.webp
    41.7 KB · Views: 179
  • image-4149890592.webp
    image-4149890592.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 164
  • image-1993907100.webp
    image-1993907100.webp
    30.8 KB · Views: 158
  • image-2523413033.webp
    image-2523413033.webp
    29 KB · Views: 172
Upvote 0
Not bad for a quick hunt. The nutting stone is nice but do think it could be a biscuit disc? Like you said it is small. Is it pretty well rounded? And the black thing I just dont know. I would of kept it.
 
I was questioning myself with the nutting stone id. The only nut I would think they could use it for would be is a hickory. The other nutting stone I've found is much bigger. Are discs usually divoted like this is ?
 
Yes they are. Some call them hammer stones but I dont think they would craft a hammer stone so nice and then use it to hit another rock. Yours looks like its been pecked.
 
Yes it has. Our hammer stones around here are usually just tools of convenience. Picked up used and put down. Beat up on both ends and don't look like this. I'm happy to come home with stuff in my pockets
 
Lets see what other say about it. Maybe you can do a thread with just the dimple stone in it with photos from all sides and something to measure it with or hold it in your hand.
 
Will do soon as I get home
 
Thanks for the id on the black thing.
 
Nice day out for ya! I have nutting stones really similar to yours. I haven't found many like that.

image-645923869.webp



image-3870284666.webp



image-2050473221.webp



image-235798615.webp
 
Nice they are really close
 
bsit1361 said:
Nice they are really close

I thought they were war clubs for years. My dad found the best one. We thought the round concave part was a hafting scar. As yours, both sides on the larger ones are concave in the center.
 
I don't think it was ever hafted
 
Not a nut stone. Not saying it was not used for grinding or possibly as a platform to hold another tool. To small to smash things on. Great artifact though and a nice keeper.
 
Great find, it's always nice to find one that is double sided. Is the red stain on the surface a natural mineral stain or a pigment stain that was applied to it?
 
I think it's natural. I have a weight that was found at a site close to this one that has kinda the same coloring. Ill put up a pic.
 

Attachments

  • image-3263777488.webp
    image-3263777488.webp
    68.9 KB · Views: 109
The first one isnt natural....keep it
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom