Yeah I believed the same thing for many years, and would still like to but I haven't seen
anything after all that work and millions of dollars spent and 6 people dead.
I think the biggest disappointment was finally breaching the vault area some 230' below
and finding nothing.
Now there was some talk about a cement platform on the vault floor?
But I think the reason why me and so many people had believed there is something down
there is because of the many trip points/booby traps that were first set off during excavation,
most notably the water tunnels, which protected the vault.
However, it should be noted that the vault had been previously penetrated by some other
means because it was flooded even before the waterway trip points were set off during
excavation of the original pit.
This was proven when Blankenship penetrated the vault by a secondary borehole (10x)
140 feet from the original pit in the 70's, and what he found was an empty vault
with evidence that it was flooded for some time, even before the main pit was even dug.
Plans were changed or something happened back then to extricate whatever was down
there by a secondary shaft/tunnel.
Based on the research I have done on this site, this seems like the only conclusion
to me.