Obsessive and Destructive Artifact Thieves???

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:
Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to point out that none of this has to do with good folks walling fields or creeks.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"The main reason for collecting Native artifacts given by Arrowheads.com, however, points to a more visceral urge among enthusiasts and provides an entre to the darker side of the hobby. “Enthusiasts are attracted to the strange world,” tops the list of motivations for the collector."

This statement makes no sense whatsoever. "Enthusiasts are attracted to the strange world" might as well be gibberish. I'm an enthusiastic surface hunter. What "strange world" is it that I'm attracted to?? Also, as if it needs to be said, nobody at arrowheads.com condones illegal looting. I don't believe any of the artifact forums condone illegal looting or any other unethical activity. But the bottom line in the above description of collectors' motivation is that the statement itself is nonsensical so far as I can see. My number one motivation for seeking out arrowheads: it's a strange world and I like strangeness. Huh?!?!

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Many tribal people maintain that the practice reflects not only a deep cultural hegemony of European conquest and entitlement over indigenous peoples but also demonstrates a peculiar urge to accumulate that reflects contemporary acquisitive culture. “It’s about greed and the same sense of entitlement that led to the depopulation of indigenous peoples from North America in the name of Manifest Destiny,” says Henrietta Mann, Cheyenne, who is president of the Cheyenne and Arapaho College in Oklahoma."

There is something called "collector mentality". It takes a dedicated collector to understand that. Let's say you collect stone axes. Periodically, you will have the urge to add to your collection. You will, in other words, need a fix! Tired of the nice axe you bought in January, time to get another. Acquisitive. That is an accumulative impulse. But, does anyone here honestly feel they have entitlement over Native American artifacts? Some kind of moral imperative that makes those rocks in the ground the white man's and the white man's alone? We conquered the hemisphere, so the artifacts are now rightfully ours by Manifest Destiny? Give me a break and stop inventing motivations that exist only in someone's imagination.

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Ground-penetrating radar...LOL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My moms great great grandmother was a Lakota Sioux. She was abducted by settles and my family came into existence. As horrible as that sounds it is why I am a collector. I want to learn everything I can about the people who were a part of my family and all Native Americans. I want to preserve their history for future generations to enjoy. No one learns anything from artifacts that are buried in the ground. Nothing I have ever found is for sale and will NEVER be for sale as long as I am alive and my kids are alive! The idiots who go out and pick up arrowheads for the sole purpose of selling them are the problem!

Cosmo

Aug 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I collect because it kicks a$$ and I enjoy it no deep hidden meaning for me. I bet those who made them thousands of years ago would be proud of the fact what they made is hunted and treated like a treasure.

Red Earth

Jul 29, 2013
I collect because it kicks a$$ and I enjoy it no deep hidden meaning for me. I bet those who made them thousands of years ago would be proud of the fact what they made is hunted and treated like a treasure.

I couldn't agree more about the creator being proud.

Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There right . There ancestors artifacts would have been better honored if i left them in the fields and let the plows smash em till they were nothing but dust. I should have never dug for relics , I should have let the top soil diggers just scoop em up and ship em out so they could be honored somewhere they never were.They are right , i would never want the things i never knew my ancestors could make or own dug up so others could know what they were capable of. Damn us all for liking the past and marveling at things we'll never know the true meaning of.

If i had nothing but this article to go by i would swear this doesn't happen in Europe.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's just my opinion but I always felt that a Native American would probably be ok with the thought of some of his points being displayed for all to see instead of forever buried in the dirt. I mean once were gone all that is left to remember us by are the things we leave behind. No one collects unless they really admire and appreciate the work done by these ancient stone knappers.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the only thing that i do not like about the ones who collecting artifacts are the ones who will get them from graves.too me they are the worst thing to worry about making looking for arrowheads a bad thing.meth users do alot worse things then surface hunt,so id rather have them out there not hurting anyone besides themselves and maybe the beauty of nature will get them off that stuff.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told by one of the archeologists of the Berry site that when you run across what appears to be a grave site in NC that you have to call the local sheriff's department to investigate it and if they determine it's native american you have to leave it intact and cover it back up even if it's on your property. They said it's Federal law. I only search the creek but if a skull or human bones washed up it would freak me out.

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Ground-penetrating radar...LOL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was told by one of the archeologists of the Berry site that when you run across what appears to be a grave site in NC that you have to call the local sheriff's department to investigate it and if they determine it's native american you have to leave it intact and cover it back up even if it's on your property. They said it's Federal law. I only search the creek but if a skull or human bones washed up it would freak me out.

That is exactly right. In Iowa it is illegal to dig up burial sites even if you own the property. If you are doing construction, digging, or whatever and come across human remains you have to call the county coroner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread