What's new

Obviously silver, but anything else?

Smremm

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2009
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab
In halves specifically, I know to keep all the silver. But, are there any others worth keeping? I've read from some that 1987s are worth keeping, but others say they're not. I've also read about "key dates" but don't know what those are. Any advice?
 
Upvote 0
Keep all of the 1975 halves you come across. :tongue3:
Personally, I don't keep anything but silver. NIFCs are just a waste of my time.
 
JJtheRollHunter said:
Keep all of the 1975 halves you come across. :tongue3:
Personally, I don't keep anything but silver. NIFCs are just a waste of my time.

Same Here..Im after Silver..I do keep some that stick out from others..i have keep a few NIFC's..but never search for them.
 
i keep the bicentennials because they are worth fifty cents
 
Diggin-N-Dumps said:
JJtheRollHunter said:
Keep all of the 1975 halves you come across. :tongue3:
Personally, I don't keep anything but silver. NIFCs are just a waste of my time.

Same Here..Im after Silver..I do keep some that stick out from others..i have keep a few NIFC's..but never search for them.

I'll jump in that boat too. I keep one example of each year and mint mark on the NIFC and toss the rest back. I've found a few No FG halves but it's too time consuming to look for all those possible varieties. I guess you can call me a composition hunter now.
 
Susan,
The correct answer is to keep the 1987 P&D's as they were only found in mint sets. They are a key date for the Kennedy Half Dollar series because they were not intended for circulation. If they are in excellent condition they do command a little premium from collectors. If you are a coin collecter then they are good to have. The same goes for the 1970-D which is 40% silver. By the way, no Kennedy's were minted in 1975.
rileyboy
 
Can we add Proofs to the list of keepers?
 
Check your 1974 D Halves carefully and look for the double die variety.

1974-d-doubled-die-ddo-kennedy-half-dollar-error_290499048080.jpg
 
Neil in West Jersey said:
Check your 1974 D Halves carefully and look for the double die variety.

1974-d-doubled-die-ddo-kennedy-half-dollar-error_290499048080.jpg

What are people getting for them?
 
1974 Double Dies are not worth the time spent looking for them - my opinion. On eBay most go for under $4.00 and many do not sell at all. Seems like a lot of time looking through a magnifying glass for little return.
 
I'm a little skeptical of websites that list what coins are "worth". When I was contemplating turning in hundreds of dollars in state quarters I read on those sites that unsealed rolls were worth over face value, in some cases well over. However I called just about every coin store in three states, and posted them for sale on Craigslist, and found out that no one was willing to pay over face value. What something is worth and what you can actually get for it in the "real world" seem to be two different things.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom