October 1931 or prior Sunbeam Mixmaster M4 with original jadeite bowl & juicer

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snatched it up yesterday for $35 complete with the beaters & reamer + 1 extra beater & the jadeite double handled bowl & juicer attachment. Its cast iron but I can't figure out if its an M4 B or M4 C or M4 E as I can't find a letter designation like most of these very old sunbeam mixers have, I might have stumbled on a pre letter designation model which would make it among the very first Sunbeam mixers ever produced in 1930 or slightly prior but it can not be newer than October 1931 for sure. **EDIT** M4 E has been ruled out so its either an M4 B or M4 C or else it has no letter at all which is what it's really starting to look like. This one just might be from late 1929!
DSC02979.JPG DSC02980.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does it work or is it just a collectible?

Yes it works, needs the cord replaced tho, it isn't safe to use as-is because the cord is not in good shape at all. These old ones have a pretty low power rating at just 60 watts. It weighs a ton tho! Hard machine to break!

BTW I wont be using it anyhow.. It will only get displayed & maybe even restored. Using those uranium laced jadeite bowls is pure crazy thinking! I sure don't want to get cancer from glass pieces or chips! And the bowls are 100% damage free so I sure don't wanna mess them up! And not to mention I have better mixers to use already! I prefer beaters banging on stainless steel bowls rather than on old glass. Now newer Pyrex bowls are not bad at all but I still prefer stainless bowls with my mixer.

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a local buddy that almost exclusively picks up old mixers. He cleans them up and then resells them. I think he keeps the best ones for himself. It is amazing how valuable some of them can be. They are fairly easy to find, especially around here.

I actually NEVER came across a Kitchenaid that wasnt either beat up or way overpriced. So, I finally bought a brand new one for my wife from Kohls. She loves it!

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
I don't think youll get cancer usin the bowl....if that were the case the hills of the ohio valley would be full of glowin junk..and people ..every color is made usin a different mineral or compound....ive got lots of glowin marbles that surround me at least for the last 25 years...to get the element to leech out of the glass would take more effort than mixin up some cookies....

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have a similar mixer, not as old as that one. Sold it though.

100_4299.jpg

I've used my jadeite for years. My dogs even eat and drink out of jadite bowls. If I die from that, then it was meant to be, the way I see it.

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a local buddy that almost exclusively picks up old mixers. He cleans them up and then resells them. I think he keeps the best ones for himself. It is amazing how valuable some of them can be. They are fairly easy to find, especially around here.

I actually NEVER came across a Kitchenaid that wasnt either beat up or way overpriced. So, I finally bought a brand new one for my wife from Kohls. She loves it!

I see old mixers quite a bit myself but the oldest (like this one) are usually beat to hell, this one repainted would be pristine. Kitchen Aids also bring high dollar where I'm at, more than I'm willing to pay unless you hit that right onsite estate auction. Then you have the Artisan built ones vs. the Hobart built ones & different wattage's & so on. All Kitchen Aids are not the same but all are good.

I don't think youll get cancer usin the bowl....if that were the case the hills of the ohio valley would be full of glowin junk..and people ..every color is made usin a different mineral or compound....ive got lots of glowin marbles that surround me at least for the last 25 years...to get the element to leech out of the glass would take more effort than mixin up some cookies....

If you ingest glass pieces, chips or particles of uranium laced glass chances are very high you will regret it! There is a reason modern jadeite tableware that is intended for use does not contain uranium. Because eating chips of it can make you very sick & then kill you! However if you don't eat any glass particles it's perfectly safe! I have several jadeite pieces & green depression pieces (mainly mixing bowls) that are all chipped up some on the inner part of the rim from metal utensils. Where did this glass go? It went into the food that was getting stirred up in those bowls & then eaten by someone. Someone who probably later died of thyroid cancer. I personally wouldn't drink alcohol stored in a lead crystal decanter nor make anything in & then eat off of anything glass containing uranium. I'm not gonna say your crazy for doing so but I just feel better not doing it! BTW I've seen a Geiger counter reaction to uranium glass & holy cow it makes the thing go nuts! Uranium glass is very radio active but glass is an excellent insulator so you are protected when handling it but eating it is a whole other story!

Here is a link that mentions an M4 with no letter designation.

DecoDan.com | Sunbeam ID

Thanks Dig, I've used his site often this past year & a half or so! I just can't find any #'s on this mixer, no letters either, first one I've seen with no obvious # or letter somewhere on it in all my time looking at them.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions