What's new

OK, somebodys gotta know what this is (icebox latch)

gtoast99

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2010
Messages
276
Reaction score
571
Golden Thread
2
Location
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OK, somebody's gotta know what this is (icebox latch)

but I don't have a clue. It looks like the two pieces, the "base" with the holes in it, and the "handle" that used to pivot where the arrow points. It's stuck now of course. On the back is the number 2326 which you can see on the right in the photo. Harder to see in the pic is in the same place but on the left are two letters, looks like "RH" or "KH" perhaps?

I'm dying to know what this is, but haven't a clue where to start!!
Thanks for any input in advance!!!
 

Attachments

  • something1.webp
    something1.webp
    47.2 KB · Views: 300
  • something2.webp
    something2.webp
    40.6 KB · Views: 294
  • something3.webp
    something3.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 290
Re: OK, somebody's gotta know what this is...

Hmmm could be, having trouble seeing how it would work though.

I added a new picture showing how the "handle" would pivot up and away from the "base". Also, size comparison with a penny.
 
Upvote 0
Re: OK, somebody's gotta know what this is...

I dont know exactly what kind of latch it is but I see a keyhole. The RH stands for "right hand" and LH would stand for "left hand" door or hinge. Soak it in penetrating oil it may break loose. Looks like Eastlake... Sashlock? :dontknow:
 

Attachments

  • Eastlake.webp
    Eastlake.webp
    1.8 KB · Views: 254
Upvote 0
Re: OK, somebody's gotta know what this is...

bigcypresshunter said:
I dont know exactly what it is but I see a keyhole. The RH stands for "right hand" and LH would stand for "left hand" door or hinge. Soak it in penetrating oil it may break loose.

That's only half of it, there would be another piece that goes with it. The part sticking out from the lever would catch on the other part to latch the window shut. If thats a keyhole, there was probably a piece inside that would catch the rectangular part on the handle that you can see in the pic of the bottom. I'll do some digging and see if I can find a match.
 
Upvote 0
Re: OK, somebody's gotta know what this is...

NOLA_Ken said:
bigcypresshunter said:
I dont know exactly what it is but I see a keyhole. The RH stands for "right hand" and LH would stand for "left hand" door or hinge. Soak it in penetrating oil it may break loose.

That's only half of it, there would be another piece that goes with it. The part sticking out from the lever would catch on the other part to latch the window shut. If thats a keyhole, there was probably a piece inside that would catch the rectangular part on the handle that you can see in the pic of the bottom. I'll do some digging and see if I can find a match.
Yes I also think its a sash window lock.
 
Upvote 0
Re: OK, somebody's gotta know what this is...

NOLA_Ken said:
bigcypresshunter said:
I dont know exactly what it is but I see a keyhole. The RH stands for "right hand" and LH would stand for "left hand" door or hinge. Soak it in penetrating oil it may break loose.

That's only half of it, there would be another piece that goes with it. The part sticking out from the lever would catch on the other part to latch the window shut. If thats a keyhole, there was probably a piece inside that would catch the rectangular part on the handle that you can see in the pic of the bottom. I'll do some digging and see if I can find a match.

Could also be from an icebox latch.

http://houseofantiquehardware.com/s...&partner=gpc&gclid=CKSNo9CduakCFYWK4Aodaii4-Q
 
Upvote 0
Re: OK, somebody's gotta know what this is...

Yes, latch. . . .window, Hooiser Cabinet, ice box, etc. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: OK, somebody's gotta know what this is...

Thanks for the awesome ID!! :D
 
Upvote 0
Re: OK, somebody's gotta know what this is...

gtoast99 said:
Thanks for the awesome ID!! :D
Great ID Ironspike.
Ice box latch seems to fit best. ice box latch w key.webp
 

Attachments

  • ice box latch RH.webp
    ice box latch RH.webp
    5.9 KB · Views: 129
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom