OKM??

99thpercentile

Nov 2, 2006
Evergreen, CO
Detector(s) used
Geonics EM61-MK2, Geophex GEM-3, GapEOD UltraTEM III, Minelabs F3, Foerster MINEX 2FD 4.500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea what type of "geophysical" instruments OKM manufacturers. I contacted them once to ask what geophysical principle(s) their instruments operated under (electromagnetic induction, magnetometry, or ground penetrating radar) but didn't get an answer. Any real manufacturer of geophysical instruments will have extensive documentation of the specific method at each instrument operates under as well as lots of details about the specific details of the instrument. For example a manufacturer of a time domain electromagnetic induction metal detector will list the type of transmitter pulse, the shape of the pulse and the duty cycle. They will list the number of time gates, the width of the time gates and the time of the beginning or center of the time gate. They will list the number of transmit cycles per second as well as any analog or digital stacking (averaging). Then they will give you detailed information about the data file structure, all real geophysical instruments save the data.

Any company attempting to sell you an instrument that is more complex than a handheld metal detector that doesn't give all of the above information is most likely hiding something. A simple test is to see if the instrument is being used by commercial geophysical companies, ask for a list of companies using the instrument. If a vendor doesn't readily supply a list of current commercial users with contact information, ask yourself why.

I'm very confused about Frankn's comments, if he did work on government projects using airborne sensor platforms it definitely wasn't in a science or engineering capacity. He doesn't seem to know the difference between the global positioning system (GPS) and ground penetrating radar (GPR). GPS is how you know where your data was collected, I typically use a $50K Trimble 5700 or R8 RTK GPS system to position my data to <1cm accuracy for geophysical surveys. GPR is a great tool in specific situations, but I have never seen it used successfully to locate a 20 ft deep tunnel on the border (my group has the lead for this issue for DoD). Airborne GPR systems are typically synthetic aperture radar (SAR) systems and they can be very useful, but don't typically have very much depth penetration (<2m). I have some spectacular GPR results from some sites and very poor results from other sites. GPR is just one tool in the geophysicists toolbox, the selection of the correct tool is based on: site geology, type of target, size of target, depth of target, and the contrast of one or more physical properties between the target and the host medium. One tool never fits all sites or situations.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
99TH I admitt I mistakenly typed GPS instead of GPR " now corrected" But if you were in DoD you must know about the LaCross sats. which had GPR. I know this goes back over 15 years, but the files must still exist. The weather sat might not be an open subject yet.I did not work for the gov. I worked for a contractor.

HiiiQ

Nov 6, 2004
Frankn. GPR in space is able to detect large anomalies like mineral deposits,large ancient ruins,underground cities in Russia,etc. Not cannonballs and graves like you claim. This is just mumbo-jumbo,that those in power are spreading to make the Russians think that the U.S. has some superior technology. Just like the Roswell fiasco. If you were a few steps higher in the food and IQ chain you would know what I'm talking about.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
HiiiQ The U.S. does have superior technology that you probably can't imagine even in your dreams. As for Roswell, the orginal report was right.I have interviewed Army Airforce personal that were there at the time. By the way, your E-Mail address describes you perfectly!

GUESS-WHO

Mar 27, 2010
My understanding is that the OKM is just a magnetometer. Also, they manufacturer LRL's........need I say more?

kaloy

Aug 21, 2005
Detector(s) used
gemini 3, TM 808
The financer of my project spent Php 60,000 for the rental of OKM EXP4000... the readings were good as depicted in the 3d graphics of the machine.... the graphics showed that the target had sharp edges as in a rectangle BUT only to find out that those were just piles of manganese rocks.....

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
I can attest to having seen use OKM I 160 in Latin America, highly mineralized ground and it worked great locating tunnels 14 meters deep. The person using this machine told me that reached 20 meters.
This same person told me to be able to use properly the OKM. He also said that there are certain rules of use that he has discovered. In short, this person is very happy with OKM. I think buying one soon.
Sincerely VV

GUESS-WHO

Mar 27, 2010
99thpercentile said:
I have no idea what type of "geophysical" instruments OKM manufacturers. I contacted them once to ask what geophysical principle(s) their instruments operated under (electromagnetic induction, magnetometry, or ground penetrating radar) but didn't get an answer. Any real manufacturer of geophysical instruments will have extensive documentation of the specific method at each instrument operates under as well as lots of details about the specific details of the instrument. For example a manufacturer of a time domain electromagnetic induction metal detector will list the type of transmitter pulse, the shape of the pulse and the duty cycle. They will list the number of time gates, the width of the time gates and the time of the beginning or center of the time gate. They will list the number of transmit cycles per second as well as any analog or digital stacking (averaging). Then they will give you detailed information about the data file structure, all real geophysical instruments save the data.

Any company attempting to sell you an instrument that is more complex than a handheld metal detector that doesn't give all of the above information is most likely hiding something. A simple test is to see if the instrument is being used by commercial geophysical companies, ask for a list of companies using the instrument. If a vendor doesn't readily supply a list of current commercial users with contact information, ask yourself why.

I'm very confused about Frankn's comments, if he did work on government projects using airborne sensor platforms it definitely wasn't in a science or engineering capacity. He doesn't seem to know the difference between the global positioning system (GPS) and ground penetrating radar (GPR). GPS is how you know where your data was collected, I typically use a $50K Trimble 5700 or R8 RTK GPS system to position my data to <1cm accuracy for geophysical surveys. GPR is a great tool in specific situations, but I have never seen it used successfully to locate a 20 ft deep tunnel on the border (my group has the lead for this issue for DoD). Airborne GPR systems are typically synthetic aperture radar (SAR) systems and they can be very useful, but don't typically have very much depth penetration (<2m). I have some spectacular GPR results from some sites and very poor results from other sites. GPR is just one tool in the geophysicists toolbox, the selection of the correct tool is based on: site geology, type of target, size of target, depth of target, and the contrast of one or more physical properties between the target and the host medium. One tool never fits all sites or situations.

Very well said, especially when in the context of the soil conditions in the Philippines.

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Images of a tunnel in Paraguay (OKM)

Images of a tunnel in Paraguay
Were obtained with the OKM I 160. The dark blue part corresponds to the tunnel. Undoubtedly, if you know how to use the OKM is an important tool of work to achieve goals.
Cheers V. V.

Attachments

• Varias fotos 047.jpg
    Varias fotos 047.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 804
  • Varias fotos 055.jpg
    Varias fotos 055.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 822
  • Varias fotos 062.jpg
    Varias fotos 062.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 786

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OKM in Paraguay

Hi.
Someone with extensive experience is willing to use the OKM in Paraguay to recover treasures? Our society is willing to pay the expenses and a percentage of the recovery. We have signed agreements.
Cheers VV

GUESS-WHO

Mar 27, 2010
Re: OKM in Paraguay

Vox veritas said:
Hi.
Someone with extensive experience is willing to use the OKM in Paraguay to recover treasures? Our society is willing to pay the expenses and a percentage of the recovery. We have signed agreements.
Cheers VV

Save your money, 99thpercentile is right.

Great Alex

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2007
Hi to all

OKM devices are excellent for detecting caves , graves , voids in soil
they have poor ability on fresh buried targets that the halo effect not happend to them

the depth that visualizer 3d software shows you is not true depth
it's a signal power and the colors show the strongest(red) or weak(blue) signal
red doesn't mean metal it means a strong signal in your scan area probably a metal or mineral

always the large dimension scan with more resolution help you to get better result
at least one side of scan is better 4-6 time bigger than the maxim dapth that you need

and the future 2005 and I-160 works better on voids

HH

btobmw

Mar 29, 2012
Phoenix Az
Detector(s) used
okm exp4000
White CM808
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
okm experience

After researching the OKM EXP 4000 and some of the other products they carry, I still cant come to a conclusion on if I want to purchase th exp or something may be more "reliable" such as the minelab 4500. Im searching in areas with lots of minerals and not that much trash. Im lookin in depths of 10-30 ft deep, and looking for larger sized treasures. Im not really doubting the capability of each of the machines I just want to make sure the okm is reliable. or should I just spend less money for something thats not as advanced but works better?

I've owned The okm 4000 for about 4 years. I purchased from Kellyco detectors in Florida. I've developed some experience on my own, since Kellyco offers you a VERY limited training in their facilties. I started doing my scans using my intuition becouse the owner manual does not tell you many things.
I buried an metalic target in a neutral soil in 3 feet deep and draw a grid 10 by 10 feet 12" by 12" squares. First thing I found accuracy is very important in scanning. The most accuracy, the best results.
You will not find very much in the okm screen. The best starts when you transfer the images to the computer and start playing with the 3d visualizer software. It is very impresive. But also, you have to learn on the go, like a video game.
I recently discover something new. It doesn not detect metal targets with no corrotion on them. I was doing a control scan and buried a piece of new metal and detect metal comtamination instead,(cans, pennies nails etc.), buried in the place for long time.
I personally like the technology. Im not interested in finding little things in parks and beaches. My targets are buried treasures, mainly in Mexico, and the metal detectors I used before did not give me more than 2 or 3 feet deep penetration. I've tested the 4000 up to 10 feet deep and gave me good results. My believing is if I have not find good metal yet, I've looking in the wrong places. GOOD LUCK

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been reading these posts for a while, and really, the proof is in the pudding. I want to see pictures of gold. So, come on! Post.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
OKM is not just "a product", but the name of a company with a variety of products.

Funny things about this company.

1. Their advertising does not explicitly state what the products actually are or on what basis a customer can reasonably expect them to have certain capabilities.

2. The result has been a lot of controversy on forums about the products because not even people who say they've used them seem to know what they are, or can explain what their capabilities actually are.

3. The company seems to prefer this sorry state of affairs, rather than to clear it up. It's obviously quite intentional.

4. At least one of their products is recognizably in the "LRL" category, in other words (and in plain English) fraudulent.

This is all in the "read the advertisement!" category. What OKM is telling the world, is that their stuff is either nearly worthless or worse than worthless, so the only kind of customers they want are folks who have lots of money but who know so little about underground detection apparatus that if the customer is the victim of a con game they won't realize that the problem is OKM and not the customer.

If that's not what they want to tell the world, all they have to do is explain what the heck their products really are. Doesn't have to cost them anything, they can explain it right here on Tnet for free.

--Dave J.

Last edited:

Tigue710

Greenie
Sep 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I hear a lot of bad things about OKM's manometers, I have to say I'm quite happy with the futre 2005. For what I'm using it for it Awesome! I'm still new to the unit though and hoping some of people who have posted positives on here and use one could help me out with the software? Thank you

abo al oula

May 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just received another E-Mail from a new user of the OKM equipment. When you are locating an object there are some primary rules that you need to follow.

1. Do not turn or rotate the equipment. Please keep it facing the same direction as when it starts.
2. Practice with the equipment on known targets so that you familiarize yourself with it and know the ins and outs. This goes for all equipment regardless of what it is.
--- The OKM equipment will find cavities, faults and other fracture zones in the ground.
3. With their software don't be deceived by a red spot on the software unless there is a hole (blue area) right next to it. Non-ferrous metals act as an amplifier so an old tin can may become your target.
4. Make sure your battery(ies) are charged. The number one reason for equipment failure are uncharged or weak batteries.

Hi Cassbiz ,

can you please put one scan shows a red spot and hole (blue area) right next to it.

Best Regards

tesoroMex

Sep 10, 2006
Jackson, MS
Detector(s) used
Deeper/ Nokta / Elecroscope
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi.
Cheers VV

I have good knowledge on metal detectors specially with OKM. Email me at [email protected] if you still need somebody

Cromwell1

Apr 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Advice on who to buy from ?

Hi -- I am VERY new to all of this - so I hope I am asking the right question and in the right place.

I have read the forum above throughly, and you all seem to have a good working knowledge (rather than a sales pitch) on what works and what does not.

So here is my question:- It looks like I have to have to buy a magnetometer for work. I say magnetometer rather than expensive metal detector… for the reasons you will see below.

We are looking for steel oil drums/storage containers (about 3 metres x 5 metres x 4 metres in size) left in an area many years ago outside the grounds of a factory, but in the area where there were there are now no other buildings. And there is no visible sign of them today.

As they were outside of the previous buildings footprint, there should be little to no collateral "noise" from old workings, pipes on the whole… but one is in an area which has rubbish on top of it.

I am told they were made of steel and "built to last". But the pipes to them were cleared 20 years back and now there are no clues to where they area and the area is big ! … Annoyingly and with some irony, there is some paperwork in the council offices saying they are still there - but with no directions! So we have to go and find them.

Over the years one - perhaps two of them have vanished under some water in a low lying area which is now flooded - we guess approximately 4 to 6 metres deep probably well into the mud.

Another has become overgrown behind an old building in an area which is now comprised of light trees and bushes. And there is another one in mud / swampy type terrain in a completely open area devoid of anything.

We have been tasked with removing them before any environmental damage ensues - in-case they are still half full ?!

I have walked over the wooded area and the swampy bit (not so swampy because it has dried out a lot)… and there is ZERO sign of anything other than soil and grass.

I have spoken to one of the locals who swears blind that they were never removed and are still there - but inconveniently she does not know where exactly - other than "over the hill down there"… We have tried with two expensive metal detectors and revealed nothing from above.

Therefore I am coming at this whole subject of "treasure" from a slightly different angle than many of you on here - and again, if this is the wrong place to have asked these questions I apologise. We are searching for big lumps of old cast iron piping and well made British steel vats.

From my brief investigations - would it be your collective opinion that I could do the job using a hand-held magnetometer of some quality. Perhaps a Fisher DIVER MAG 1 and using it hand-held by walking over the ground, so that it tells me from a distance where to find them ? My understanding is that I can walk with it pointing forwards and it should "see" the steel at a distance, and guide me to it ? We will be looking at a few metres in depth I guess but I do not want to have to spend weeks looking with a vertical pointing "probe" in case we miss something.

I was thinking of this unit in case we have to use it in various water locations with a diver at a later date, it also has a dual use for us that way.

I have heard of the OKM company - and I have heard the things said on this thread. So I am going to give them a wide berth.

On recommendation and company profile the JW Fisher products appear to be good, their products appear good quality and seem to be used "by professionals" - but is that hype from them ?

The ground is too rough for a GPR type "lawnmower" style thing… and it would not work in the water. But we could hold the MAG-1 at the edge and point out the general direction from there and perhaps get lucky in the first instance ?

I REALLY could do with some help on this… and perhaps that advice might help others who are reading the above thread.

The issues that OKM have given people to talk about are good to alert new buyers .. and in my case I am trying to find a company that can produce the kind of kit I need - without the expensive regrets later. So this thread has worked for me so far.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread