Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this close to 12" down in the yard of a home built in 1750. Looks like it may be an old axel cap or something like that. Octagonal shape for wrench. Threads inside. About 2 5/8" outside diameter. Any ideas?
DSC_0041 axel.JPG

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there are threads on the inside, It might be a knock-off for holding a wire spoked wheel on a vehicle.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
doninbrewster

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cudamark, I thought of that, but I had a car with wire wheels and this is different. It also doesn't seem strong enough to hold a well on to me, but it might be good enough to hold in the grease on an axle. The threads are on the rim just under the top, but facing outward, not inward like you would have on a hub for a wire wheel. I was hoping there might be an early car collector that might recognize it. Thanks for your reply.

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I think you're exactly right, (axle dust/grease/hub cap) but from what I have no idea... No marks inside either? Most have a company logo, but perhaps this was a generic replacement, I don't know?

Upvote 0

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Yep. Grease cap. In my collection of Model T & A Ford tools I have a couple of the wrenches used to remove & install them. If you look at how cheaply the wrenches are made just out of stamped sheet metal it's pretty obvious that these caps were never meant to hold the wheels on. Top of the pic are the wrenches that were used with this style cap. These are marked with the Ford script logo but nearly everyone back in the old days used them.

Attachments

• P1010096.JPG
    P1010096.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 65
Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cudamark, I thought of that, but I had a car with wire wheels and this is different. It also doesn't seem strong enough to hold a well on to me, but it might be good enough to hold in the grease on an axle. The threads are on the rim just under the top, but facing outward, not inward like you would have on a hub for a wire wheel. I was hoping there might be an early car collector that might recognize it. Thanks for your reply.
There was nothing in the photo to gauge size and since you said "threads inside" I assumed you meant internal threads. If indeed it has external threads, it would probably be a grease cap. They're usually quite a bit smaller than a knock-off and take a much smaller wrench.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread