✅ SOLVED Old button with crown

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this button today. Looks pretty old and it's pretty crusty. The back is beyond help. But I can make out a small crown at the top of the design and I'm not sure what the design elements are below the crown. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks. Also found my first gold ringtoday (mostly silver, but still!). Putting that in today's finds.

crown1.jpg crown2.jpg crown3.jpg

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe CannonBallGuy knows this off the top of his head, but if that doesn't pan out is there anyway you can clean the back of the button too see a Back-Mark? thanks! :occasion14:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rastinirv

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe CannonBallGuy knows this off the top of his head, but if that doesn't pan out is there anyway you can clean the back of the button too see a Back-Mark? thanks! :occasion14:

It's got a really hard crust that I think I won't be able to get through without a hammer and chisel, so no back mark unfortunately

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looks like a 20th century steel back, self shank, fashion blazer button. I doubt it has a backmark.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rastinirv

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, Hutsite, I think you found it. Thanks. Amazing how patina can make something look much older than it is.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The rusted iron back on your button is a mid-20th-Century-to-present version of self-shank back. (The term "self-shank" refers to a 2-piece button's back which itself forms a shank/tunnel for the thread -- it doesn't have a separately-made loop for the thread.) See photo below, showing the version of self-shank back your button has.

I agree with Bigcypresshunter and Breezie, your button is from a civilian-clothing coat or blazer. The emblem on it is a modern-era imitation of an antique British Livery button, showing a coronet (not crown) above a Nobility-family's crest/coat-of-arms.

Attachments

• button_self-shank-back_20th-century=sportcoat_Ebay.jpg
    button_self-shank-back_20th-century=sportcoat_Ebay.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
rastinirv

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rusted iron back on your button is a mid-20th-Century-to-present version of self-shank back. (The term "self-shank" refers to a 2-piece button's back which itself forms a shank/tunnel for the thread -- it doesn't have a separately-made loop for the thread.) See photo below, showing the kind of self-shank back your button has.

I agree with Bigcypresshunter and Breezie, your button is from a civilian-clothing coat or blazer. The emblem on it is a modern-era imitation of an antique British Livery button, showing a coronet (not crown) above a Nobility-family's crest/coat-of-arms.

Thanks for the comment, CannonballGuy

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions