Old Campground Bummer!

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an old campground in the woods about a mile from me. Not terribly old, but back in the 50's. It has not been hunted I am sure. BUT, it has high tension lines running partly through it and all along one side. BIG, Big ones. You can hear them humming when you get near. I know my detector will not like that at all. Hunted at an old school and it was falseing so much I thought something was wrong with it. but finally saw behind the trees a big high tension line. Anyway wish I could figure out how to hunt there. It is woods now, but used to have a pool and clubhouse and lots of sites.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had my detector go crazy when over underground power utility feeds from the transformer. Even though the conduit or cable is probably well over 3 feet down it still enough to cause some crazy sounds.

I found an old campground like that but never found anything good. Just old plumbing fittings and trash. A lot of people drank beer and threw pull tabs everywhere while camping.

I would still give the campground a try. Perhaps try a different detector or maybe even discriminate out some of the falsing if it is that bad. Lower sensitivity?

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should give it a try with lower gain settings , try different angles on the ground relative to the wires as well - good luck !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread