What's new

Old Gold an a Standing liberty, plus

wildthunder

Full Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
124
Reaction score
235
Golden Thread
0
Location
RI
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT-pro, Fisher CZ-21 , Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its been hit hard by many so I know its time to slow and easy and dig everything but small iron. The pay off is things like this. There are no markings on this gold and I have looked at it with a microscope. Anyone metal detecting needs a microscope to check their finds out and really appreciate the detail in the old stuff you find. You can get them on online cheap with LC screens or binocular view. Not that pricey and gives a unique view on the history you are holding. Anyway enough yapping.

I think the gold is sold by the split on one of the arms after looking at it I can see under a scope., There was small pearls that went around the whole design originally I am guessing since there is still one is still left.
The stones look like emeralds and the center is an opal I believe. I am no expert so I would have to get it checked by a pro just out of curiosity. The thing was about 8-9 inches down and gave a foil/aluminum sound on the horizontal swing and nothing on the back and forth. But that horizontal on the Tejon .05 cent discrimination setting and it was sweet. Not choppy or like a car horn. I have dug so much junk with the Tejon on purpose for over 14 months now just to learn this thing and the reason why I use it is its depth. It goes down on such tiny objects its nuts. I was using a DD coil.

I have not found anything coins older then 1860’s but know there has been pulled out from here by others.
The Standing Liberty is 1917 and it is type 1. Again this is based on me looking it up online so don’t hold me to it. This is my second STQ in the past 10 months. I love this coin and really was glad it had such good detail. I only washed it with water. Certain angle looks better in person. I know its nothing super special but it is to me.

Barber…well that was in the same hole as the STQ. The signal was great in both directions but very week. Scrapping the ground, if I lifted more then one inch I lost it.

Good depth again but only 8 inches. I have dug clad quarters out of dirt at that same depth in some areas in RI and this should have been much louder so I am thinking the coins were not flat but on an angle. It was on a slope with trees. Sorry for the long story and ramblings.

gold_jewels_pin.webp1917 Standing liberty.webp1909 Baber Q.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 64
oops.. sorry for my goof in the subject line.
 
THATS A BEAUTIFUL PIN - MIGHT BE HAND MADE - LOOKS OLD
HOPEFULLY YOU WONT SCRAP IT - I FOUND A REALLY OLD - POSSIBLE COLONIAL ONE WITH STONES
WHEN I WAS A KID (70s) - ENDED UP PULLING THE STONES AND SCRAPPING - ONE OF THE STUPID THINGS
I DID EARLY IN THE HOBBY (SOLD RELICS BACK THEN FOR $5 THAT ARE NOW WORTH $500)
MUCH MUCH MORE LEARNED NOW
CONGRATS ON THE COINS TOO:thumbsup:
 
outstanding.gif
Nice finds! Thanks for sharing...
 
That is a really nice SLQ. Very hard to get a pre-25 with a full date like that. Congrats on the Barber and pin. I would definitely get that piece checked out by a jeweler.
 
1917 V1, Awesome....:occasion14:
 
That is a very beautiful gold piece, I would have loved to have seen it with the missing opals, a great old jewelry find. Nice work on the coins too!
 
Great pieces! Congrats.
 
Very nice finds. Congrats and finding what other's have missed.
 
THATS A BEAUTIFUL PIN - MIGHT BE HAND MADE - LOOKS OLD
HOPEFULLY YOU WONT SCRAP IT - I FOUND A REALLY OLD - POSSIBLE COLONIAL ONE WITH STONES
WHEN I WAS A KID (70s) - ENDED UP PULLING THE STONES AND SCRAPPING - ONE OF THE STUPID THINGS
I DID EARLY IN THE HOBBY (SOLD RELICS BACK THEN FOR $5 THAT ARE NOW WORTH $500)
MUCH MUCH MORE LEARNED NOW
CONGRATS ON THE COINS TOO:thumbsup:


Not to worry, I will not be scrapping anything. I would rather keep it as is.
 
That is a great looking pair of quarters. I like both the Standing Libs & the Barbers.
 
Nice SLQ. That gold pin looks Victorian or earlier. it reminds me of a silver one that I found a couple years ago. I was told it was a Virgin pin. Cool finds
 
That is a hunt you will not forget about for quite some time . Tremendous finds from a heavily searched site, The standing quarter is awesome,
 
That is an amazing looking pin. And a day with an SLQ and Barber is a good day in anyone's book
 
Nice finds that slq looks good

HH Jer
 
Awesome quarters and gold to! We are fortunate here in Rhode Island to have no snow and unfrozen ground this late into winter.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom