Old Gold Ingot??

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have been around here long enough you should be able to recognize this flavor of post. You will not get answers, you will not get a photo of numbers and names stamped into this gold ingot. If you do not think shenanigans happen around here, you should pay a little more attention.
Not what I meant. I,ve seen plenty of what you describe,but I don,t automatically assume the next post will be the same. I didn,t take any "bait"as you put it. I made a good faith effort to help. If that,s taking "bait" I,m guilty. If you wish to criticize the OP,I have no objection to that,but you have no cause to insult the rest of the responders.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gold is not brittle and black. Why would you take it to a pawn shop or scrap yard to have it tested? The gold that comes from the earth is millions of years old..no signs of becoming black and brittle.
The title eludes to gold bar.
It isn't gold.
Why bring it to a pawn shop or scrap yard?
Most will test it free, so if you have a way of definitely testing an alloy in mear seconds, non destructive I'm all ears.
There's a lit of folks have already come to the conclusion what the item is.
Simple example.
I have a X
Readership says and agrees it's an O.
No I know it's a X.
Get it tested.
They rarely reply with the test results.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not what I meant. I,ve seen plenty of what you describe,but I don,t automatically assume the next post will be the same. I didn,t take any "bait"as you put it. I made a good faith effort to help. If that,s taking "bait" I,m guilty. If you wish to criticize the OP,I have no objection to that,but you have no cause to insult the rest of the responders.
Well Iā€™ll just say, there was no intention on my part to hurt anybodies feelings. I apologize if that was the result.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The title eludes to gold bar.
It isn't gold.
Why bring it to a pawn shop or scrap yard?
Most will test it free, so if you have a way of definitely testing an alloy in mear seconds, non destructive I'm all ears.
There's a lit of folks have already come to the conclusion what the item is.
Simple example.
I have a X
Readership says and agrees it's an O.
No I know it's a X.
Get it tested.
They rarely reply with the test results.
Would you seriously drive down to the scrapyard and ask the workers to scan it with xrf to verify or disprove itā€™s a gold bar? Iā€™m just trying to be realistic. more power to you, but I suspect you likely know what gold looks like and itā€™s unique properties. Most folks that are interested in treasureā€¦metal detecting know what gold looks like.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Would you seriously drive down to the scrapyard and ask the workers to scan it with xrf to verify or disprove itā€™s a gold bar? Iā€™m just trying to be realistic. more power to you, but I suspect you likely know what gold looks like and itā€™s unique properties. Most folks that are interested in treasureā€¦metal detecting know what gold looks like.
I was being respectful to the OP and giving them options on determining what the item is actually.
We as a collective have determined that it most likely not gold.
But what is it then?
It could be some other noble alloy that is worth money.
It will educate the OP and it will answer the question of what it is.

It is evident that it would be beneath you to find out what its alloy actually is. That's fine NP.
What harm is it to find out.

If the OP had driven into my recycling facility I would do my best to have this piece analyzed and give them the report.

#1 It determines what item is.
#2 Determines value
#3 Possible purchase
Which is the main reason for getting it tested.
I was tested many times for honesty while running my company.
This is being realistic and it gives options.

Little fact to chew on:
In having folks as the OP believe something like this item is gold, and actually providing XRF proof it isn't educates them in life, and me.
The OP walks in says it's gold, well I'm pretty sure it's not, but let's get it tested
Test done.
Now the price/value is established.
The OP might think I was ripping them off, and could drive away.
I did my best, I would recommend another facility, and have a little šŸ˜
The OP might have a ton of this, or be a employee of a company.
Been tested, I passed the test.
Result keeping an open mind, accepting things that were not wrapped up in a pretty bow and ribbon.
Net result of not looking down my nose at life.
I got to retire at 48yrs old.
Keeping an open mind is a good way sometimes.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nothing baits you folks in like a picture of a rock posted by a brand new profile. Iā€™d say ā€œgotcha!ā€, but Iā€™m not responsible for the bait. Reminds me a lot like the 24K gold thread not long ago. Can I get a like from the OP?
For Christ's sake talk about baiting.
Look at the reflection in the mirror.
6 posts you casted your criticism and negative comments towards not only the OP, but others.
So now that you go after the bait hook line and sinker, why not at least give a constructive perspective instead of saying a "rock"

Actually when I looked at the item again it kind of reminded me of a part of a spent sword.
Think on that one for a tad.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For Christ's sake talk about baiting.
Look at the reflection in the mirror.
6 posts you casted your criticism and negative comments towards not only the OP, but others.
So now that you go after the bait hook line and sinker, why not at least give a constructive perspective instead of saying a "rock"

Actually when I looked at the item again it kind of reminded me of a part of a spent sword.
Think on that one for a tad.
Thanks for your sermon and life lessons. You need to unwind a screw just a tad. Little uptight.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was being respectful to the OP and giving them options on determining what the item is actually.
But what is it then?

It is evident that it would be beneath you to find out what its alloy actually is. That's fine NP.

If the OP had driven into my recycling facility I would do my best to have this piece analyzed and give them the report.

#2 Determines value
#3 Possible purchase

Little fact to chew on:
In having folks as the OP believe something like this item is gold, and actually providing XRF proof it isn't educates them in life, and me.
The OP walks in says it's gold, well I'm pretty sure it's not, but let's get it tested
Test done.
Result keeping an open mind, accepting things that were not wrapped up in a pretty bow and ribbon.
So after sifting through the snide comments, I take it you would not personally take this to a pawn shop or scrap yard to have it tested for gold, but would be understanding and more than willing to test it if someone walked into your scrapyard. Thatā€™s completely understandable.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing baits you folks in like a picture of a rock posted by a brand new profile. Iā€™d say ā€œgotcha!ā€, but Iā€™m not responsible for the bait. Reminds me a lot like the 24K gold thread not long ago. Can I get a like from the OP?

Thanks for your sermon and life lessons. You need to unwind a screw just a tad. Little uptight.
You are the one out of line here, you attacked the OP and members for responding.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I would of liked to have my questions and RTR's questions answered by the OP. But if I was the OP, I likely would not answer, and would never post on this forum again. We need to respect people's opinions different than our own.
?

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But what is it then?

#2 Determines value
#3 Possible purchase

Little fact to chew on:
Test done.
Nice pepper! What I was getting at but didn,t actually say! Thanks!

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure others have noticed the black is a coating with some golden colored material inside of it. I am not saying gold but would like better pictures to sort it out. But we likely will get no better pictures now.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure others have noticed the black is a coating with some golden colored material inside of it. I am not saying gold but would like better pictures to sort it out. But we likely will get no better pictures now.
I,m just curious about what it really is. I don,t think it,s gold,but what is it? Would be nice to know. Hope the OP reads these and makes the effort to find out.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With no personal disrespect intended, I think you need to stop being so over dramatic. Your pushing things a bit further than you need to. I donā€™t need a moderatorā€™s affirmation of this. Iā€™ll go on record and say that if the OP didnā€™t want to present the photos of the stamped numbers & names, or the inside of the break when originally contacting the forum for input regarding the monetary value of their find, they likely wonā€™t be following up with critical information now. Letā€™s hope they in fact do. You have made me feel guilty then continued to rub it in. Iā€™ve received a taunting PM from another participant of the thread that would make a sailor blush. Anyone reading this thread will be ?? Thinking there must have been messages that got deleted which is not the case.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With no personal disrespect intended, I think you need to stop being so over dramatic. Your pushing things a bit further than you need to. I donā€™t need a moderatorā€™s affirmation of this. Iā€™ll go on record and say that if the OP didnā€™t want to present the photos of the stamped numbers & names, or the inside of the break when originally contacting the forum for input regarding the monetary value of their find, they likely wonā€™t be following up with critical information now.
When you say no personal disrespect intended and then disrespect someone, it means little. I think you need to control yourself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread