What's new

~Old Homestead Yields 1855 Seated Half Dime~

Digger62918

Full Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2009
Messages
146
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Carterville, IL.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-70 Pro , Fisher CZ-20 , Minelab Explorer SE
Went out yesterday driving around trying to find a site to detect. After driving the back roads for awhile I spotted an old well out in a field and could see lots of brick crumbles surrounding the well. I stopped and got permission with no problem and fired up the detector. I was detecting for less than 3 minutes when I got my first solid signal. My hands started shaking when I saw a small silver disc pop out of the hole. :o Even though the coin was covered in dirt I knew almost immediately that it was a half dime due to it small size. This would make only the second half dime I have found in 13 years of metal detecting, needless to say I was Pumped! :headbang: I continued to hunt the area very carefully however no other coins were found. I did find what appears to be a very old pocket knife, I would guess its age to be in the late 1800's. Once I got back to the car I poured some water on the half dime and could see that it was a 1855 O in Awesome shape.
 

Attachments

  • 21.webp
    21.webp
    84.7 KB · Views: 716
  • 20.webp
    20.webp
    113.3 KB · Views: 694
  • 22.webp
    22.webp
    86 KB · Views: 693
  • 30.webp
    30.webp
    52.7 KB · Views: 691
  • 25.webp
    25.webp
    48 KB · Views: 695
  • 24.webp
    24.webp
    46.7 KB · Views: 683
  • 23.webp
    23.webp
    47.2 KB · Views: 677
Upvote 0
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet! Way to go. I have never found one, but trust me it is high on a lot of guy's wish list. I love the driving around and looking for a site part of your story too. Sometimes it is great to get out for a while. You would probably had a good time even if you hadn't found a place to hunt.

HH, Don
 
That is a great looking find. Very nice condition.
It is on my list.

HH
 
OH YEAH ~ that's a good looking little treasure there man! VERY EXCITING FIND! Congrat's!
 
That is an awsome half dime!!! great shape ,, kind of weird that there was no more coins ,,, that old knife is really cool and very old for sure!!

great pictures !!!

arthur
 
artzstuff1 said:
That is an awsome half dime!!! great shape ,, kind of weird that there was no more coins ,,, that old knife is really cool and very old for sure!!

great pictures !!!

arthur
Thanks Art. There has to be more coins at the site, it was just really hard to detect right now since it was in a corn field. Corn stalks kept getting in my way with every swing >:( Once the field is disc up it will be much easier detecting.
 
Nice halfdime

HH Jer
 
kilmer said:
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet! Way to go. I have never found one, but trust me it is high on a lot of guy's wish list. I love the driving around and looking for a site part of your story too. Sometimes it is great to get out for a while. You would probably had a good time even if you hadn't found a place to hunt.

HH, Don
Thanks Don, I feel pretty lucky to have found two of these over the years. The first one I found was a cap bust half dime and now this a seated with arrows makes two different varieties of half dimes.
 
Nice half dime Justin, I can see I am going to have to start following you around. Ken
 
Wooooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! :hello2: :wav: That's what I'm talking about! WTG!!! :thumbsup:
 
Yikes! Only 600,000 minted! :thumbsup:
 
WOW I could only dream of finding one of those, BIGTIME CONGRATS!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Nice find !! :icon_thumleft: that is in great shape and not easy to find Good Hunt Dd60
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom