"Old" jug found off Long Island, NY

Ovoid1

Greenie
May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ancient looking "terra cotta" jug found off Long Island, NY

Hello All,

I'm new to the site, but you guys came highly recommended. I'm hoping you can help with ID on object.

A friend brought this jug into work today for me to ID and I have no idea what it is and whether it is even authentic.

Two years ago this jug was found buried in sand/mud up to its neck, although it has obviously spent some time just laying on the bottom based on the evidence of growth, in sheltered waters off the East End of Long Island, NY. This is not a spot where one would expect to find a wreck as it is very sheltered from the prevailing direction for seasonal storms and no other debris or objects were found nearby. Basically this jug just rolled into a muddy depression and got buried, exposed and reburied, etc.

I know local colonial and later pottery, but this is obviously not that and it also is not native american. Looks to be Mediterranean? This pieces was obviously hand thrown, is very light for its size, no glaze, thin bodied and was high fired as it almost rings when struck.

Sorry no dimensions. You'll just have to use my hand as a scale.

Can anyone help ID this piece? Place and date of manufacture? Usage?

Thanks!

image1.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG image4.JPG image5.JPG image6.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 9

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
"Old" jug found off Long Island, NY

I took a class on such pottery but don't remember anything. It appears very old. Where on eastern LI? I'm an east ender myself. Grew up in Montauk, bub.

OP
OP
O

Ovoid1

Greenie
May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He doesn't want to say but closer to the North Fork. I grew up in Southampton myself...

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walmart - $14.95 - Made in China. :laughing7:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Doesn't want to say, well ok O'Day.

He needs to look for fragments if he's hoping for a wreck site or otherwise. If the jug is old enough, it may hold historical significance. A single jug probably doesn't mean too much but broken pottery etc may. Anyway good luck.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a great piece and appears to have some age. I'm guessing colonial era or earlier. Can't tell from the photos but it looks like it has a round bottom.

longislanddertfisher

Dec 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in southold ny.....maybe a trip to the museum on bayview ave would help or the historical society....both on the north fork

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Archies will snatched that jug up, don't go to the historical society...to much bs. They will claim that you violated the antiquities law..

OP
OP
O

Ovoid1

Greenie
May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a great piece and appears to have some age. I'm guessing colonial era or earlier. Can't tell from the photos but it looks like it has a round bottom.

Yes it has a Round bottom...you can see the bottom in the photos.

OP
OP
O

Ovoid1

Greenie
May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in southold ny.....maybe a trip to the museum on bayview ave would help or the historical society....both on the north fork

I live less than a mile from the museum. I usually ID pottery for them. This is definitely not Native American.

OP
OP
O

Ovoid1

Greenie
May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Archies will snatched that jug up, don't go to the historical society...to much bs. They will claim that you violated the antiquities law..

This is not in my possession. I just handled it today and took pics.

OP
OP
O

Ovoid1

Greenie
May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a well worn water pitcher, tough to date due to no pictures of the base

the base is round. You can see it in the angled profile shots. No foot. No evidence of being turned on a wheel. Nothing but curve and just round.

OP
OP
O

Ovoid1

Greenie
May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't want to say, well ok O'Day.

He needs to look for fragments if he's hoping for a wreck site or otherwise. If the jug is old enough, it may hold historical significance. A single jug probably doesn't mean too much but broken pottery etc may. Anyway good luck.

I know the site. Nothing special. A very protected near shore depression outside of a nearly unnavigable channel... Really no chance for a wreck from what I can tell.

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the base is round. You can see it in the angled profile shots. No foot. No evidence of being turned on a wheel. Nothing but curve and just round.

Easy there bud, without any markings on it it would be tough to date, especially since it's been sitting in sand which more than likely wore off any details. ..from all we know it could auntie mays senior art project

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may want to post this in the " what's it" forum. It is amazing the helpful feedback people get there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread