Old King Carolus and 2 presidents.

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Went back to the old athletic field today. First I hunted in the woods next to the field where some good finds were made previously. This time the woods weren't that good to me. Only found 1 memorial penny and an almost completely fried King George copper. It looks too bad to post.

After lunch I started hunting out on the athletic field next to the woods. Right along the edge of the woods I got a good silver signal about 5 inches deep. Turned up a nice 1789 Corolus 2 reale piece. It's in pretty good shape, but it's got a hole in it. But, that's alright.

I took another short break and went back out. This time, a little further out from the woods, I dug a 1961 Rosie, which was about 6 inches deep, and a 1943 Washington quarter from 4 or 5 inches deep.

Here's the 2 reale:

carolus 001.JPG carolus 002.JPG

And here are the 2 Presidents:

carolus 003.JPG

Thanks for looking. Sorry the King George copper was in such bad shape. But, it seems like they're always that way. Over in England they call them "greenies" or "hedge fodder."

Upvote 1

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice 2 Reales. Actually the rarist of the series. Nice find! Hogge

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I can't speak to it's rarity only to it's retail value -which is about a 1/10th of the 1786 Mo FF.
It's an odd series, lasting only five years ('85-'89). What happened was in 1785 the silver content was lowered a fraction; from .9030 to .8960 while the silver content was lowered from 0.1965 ASW to 0.1949. Hardly seems worth the effort. Still, yours is a nice coin NWS the hole IMO.
Don.....

SilverPirate

Dec 23, 2012
Boerne Tx.
Detector(s) used
New Minelab E-Trac with Sunray probe, Garrett Ace 350, Teknetics Delta, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds, I would take that any day!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread