What's new

Old photos authentic and type?

Customx_12

Hero Member
Joined
May 22, 2008
Messages
559
Reaction score
336
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An auction house near me is selling these. Do they seem authentic? What type of photo do you think they are (i.e. tintype, ambrotype, daguerreotype)? Any guesses on value? I posted this under the photography section, as well. They are currently framed.
 

Attachments

  • 9D30B4FA-E254-47DF-993F-5E24AECFC20A.webp
    9D30B4FA-E254-47DF-993F-5E24AECFC20A.webp
    85.1 KB · Views: 119
  • FCCD9D39-508C-4E7A-8D31-4158100D507D.webp
    FCCD9D39-508C-4E7A-8D31-4158100D507D.webp
    62.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 4BB5FE3E-9DA1-43A9-9311-82CE43B6C32C.webp
    4BB5FE3E-9DA1-43A9-9311-82CE43B6C32C.webp
    69.6 KB · Views: 91
Upvote 0
The two on the left look like father and son. Same uniform, probably the same pistol used as a prop by the photographer. The guy on the right must have been a proud cook to pose with his ladle. I have no idea on the type of photography, but the images are Civil War it seems. If you go to American Civil War forumshttps://civilwartalk.com/, join and post the pics they will be able to tell you the most. Experts on old pics, uniforms, soldier identity, and more. Gary
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the tip! I just started a thread over there and will let people here know what they say when I get some responses.
 
They look a little odd to me, the one of the guy with the cooking pot almost looks like a photocopy of a photograph to me. I would be very careful as there are a lot of fakes out there.

D.
 
Well, they’re bogus. I emailed an expert who deals in these and he said he sold the originals of thee photographs and these are copies. Oh well
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom