✅ SOLVED Old Sawmill Site Dug up Uniform and Seveal Other Things.

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting an area that use to have a sawmill on it. I found these things. I am very curious about the orange jump suit found with all the plastic oil containers. I tried looking up the patch, but couldn't find anything. I also dug up a container filled with old nuts and bolts and other misc. things. I have no idea what that thing is the next photo, it was on top of the container with the nuts and bolts in it.

I think the sawmill was in operation is the early fifties, I can't find much information about that. It is in Franklin County Texas I think Scroggins or Mount Vernon. If anyone has any information about that I would be very interested in that too!

P1040021.JPG P1040026.JPG P1040027.JPG P1040035.JPG P1120020.JPG P1120008.JPG P1180013.JPG P1180019.JPG P1180020.JPG P1180021.JPG P1180024.JPG P1180034.JPG

Last edited:

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
I started of using a bounty hunter junior! :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's interesting! It's amazing the jumpsuit survived like it did. Are you going to clean it up, or is it too far gone?
For the metal part, put it in electrolysis for a day or two, and then see if it looks better. The rust could be covering important detail.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2nd item is a door latch/lock escutcheon plate. The next to last photo shows an electrical wire insulator/guide.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post, I appreciate it! Yes it was an interesting find! I think the old uniform probably could be repaired, but I probably won't do it. I am not sure how to go about electrolysis, I will have to google it and see if it is something I can figure out!

That's interesting! It's amazing the jumpsuit survived like it did. Are you going to clean it up, or is it too far gone?
For the metal part, put it in electrolysis for a day or two, and then see if it looks better. The rust could be covering important detail.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post, I appreciate it!

The 2nd item is a door latch/lock escutcheon plate. The next to last photo shows an electrical wire insulator/guide.

Upvote 0

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on the items I am thinking some guys were either logging or clearing trees from a power line trail and while servicing their equipment (changing oil and fuel filters) got oil or diesel all over their coveralls and decided to bury their trash out of site, out of mind.

Upvote 0

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any readable printing on the collar tag of the overalls? It may help ID them. Nice group of finds, I am sure there will be coins and other goodies there. Look for places that workers would go and rest, sit, eat lunch, etc...and drop stuff. Sub 8-)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your theory! I didn't know if those kind of oil filters could have been used to run any part of the saw mill?
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts!

Based on the items I am thinking some guys were either logging or clearing trees from a power line trail and while servicing their equipment (changing oil and fuel filters) got oil or diesel all over their coveralls and decided to bury their trash out of site, out of mind.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep hoping I find that place! There are a lot of woods up there, that are covered in barbed wire vines! I don't know what the vines are called, but they are not very friendly! LOL The vines are so thick you need to work your way into the areas which makes it so much harder to find the good spots! The tags are too fade to read anything. Maybe I will try again with a magnifying glass! Thank You for your comments!

Any readable printing on the collar tag of the overalls? It may help ID them. Nice group of finds, I am sure there will be coins and other goodies there. Look for places that workers would go and rest, sit, eat lunch, etc...and drop stuff. Sub 8-)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I worked construction for about 40 years. The real "safety" push didn't happen until the 80's in my experience. I'm thinking those overalls were not from the 50's - i.e. that "We Dress For Safety" patch.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep hoping I find that place! There are a lot of woods up there, that are covered in barbed wire vines! I don't know what the vines are called, but they are not very friendly! LOL The vines are so thick you need to work your way into the areas which makes it so much harder to find the good spots! Thank You for your comments!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I would agree, the 80's was not only big on hair, they were also big on safety! I think I will mark this thread as solved and just post the patch in a new forum. Someone somewhere has seen it before and I am just curious! Thank you again for your time!

I worked construction for about 40 years. The real "safety" push didn't happen until the 80's in my experience. I'm thinking those overalls were not from the 50's - i.e. that "We Dress For Safety" patch.

Upvote 0

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Item 1 may be a bushing. I also see a ball valve or pipe fitting, square nut, and lumber nail plate in that lower pic

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread