Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a long drive out to a small town school site I have never hunted. It is always such a gamble to drive so far just to find it's been hunted out by the local diggers. I had a few back up sites, but this place was my main focus because it has such a large area to hunt. I started around the old school and within no time I had dug a 45 Merc. This was a good sign that there was some things left to find. Well I hunted hard for about 2 hours and I had dug maybe 3 wheaties and a few pieces of clad. I took a water break and decided to head down to the farthest spot away from the school that looked perfect for a ball field. The grass was a lot taller but not so bad you couldn't swing. I started in the corner where I imagine home plate would have been and my first signal was another Merc. I spent another two hours working the infield having a good time digging old coins lost by the kids from years ago. The 1896 O Barber quarter was a great surprise and the kangaroo penny that was turned into a whizzer toy is a cool piece. My favorite find is The Band Of Mercy star pin. It's from an organization that was formed in 1875 and was to teach kids about being kind to all animals. It's always fun to find something new to learn about and it was well worth the drive for some good dirt therapy.

xqT86wl.jpg
VHEiwDB.jpg

BgibfRH.jpg
1cD0ta9.jpg

CzojyRD.jpg
HzawrSr.jpg

MSqbk22.jpg
x9t2RH2.jpg

iGx2r21.jpg

Di6edkb.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 40

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took a long drive out to a small town school site I have never hunted. It is always such a gamble to drive so far just to find it's been hunted out by the local diggers. I had a few back up sites, but this place was my main focus because it has such a large area to hunt. I started around the old school and within no time I had dug a 45 Merc. This was a good sign that there was some things left to find. Well I hunted hard for about 2 hours and I had dug maybe 3 wheaties and a few pieces of clad. I took a water break and decided to head down to the farthest spot away from the school that looked perfect for a ball field. The grass was a lot taller but not so bad you couldn't swing. I started in the corner where I imagine home plate would have been and my first signal was another Merc. I spent another two hours working the infield having a good time digging old coins lost by the kids from years ago. The 1896 O Barber quarter was a great surprise and the kangaroo penny that was turned into a whizzer toy is a cool piece. My favorite find is The Band Of Mercy star pin. It's from an organization that was formed in 1875 and was to teach kids about being kind to all animals. It's always fun to find something new to learn about and it was well worth the drive for some good dirt therapy.

xqT86wl.jpg
VHEiwDB.jpg

BgibfRH.jpg
1cD0ta9.jpg

CzojyRD.jpg
HzawrSr.jpg

MSqbk22.jpg
x9t2RH2.jpg

iGx2r21.jpg

Di6edkb.jpg
What a HAUL!
Good job ! ๐Ÿ‘

mddavis3

May 13, 2019
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

xqT86wl.jpg
VHEiwDB.jpg

BgibfRH.jpg
1cD0ta9.jpg

CzojyRD.jpg
HzawrSr.jpg

MSqbk22.jpg
x9t2RH2.jpg

iGx2r21.jpg

Di6edkb.jpg
What a great spot you found!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man! You hit the jackpot on that hunt! Great coins! Congratulations! Thanks for sharing with us.

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

xqT86wl.jpg
VHEiwDB.jpg

BgibfRH.jpg
1cD0ta9.jpg

CzojyRD.jpg
HzawrSr.jpg

MSqbk22.jpg
x9t2RH2.jpg

iGx2r21.jpg

Di6edkb.jpg
Hit that yard until you can not get a tone from nothing, then go around and around for anything you MIGHT have missed in between the ones you found. VERY nice hall! HAPPY - HAPPY hunting. one thing more try it right after a rain, the very next morning, water helps the detector seeing metal.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real cool site you found. I've been to at least 10 old school/churches around me and have never been so fortunate as that. Well done!
Thanks! They can be hit or miss. I've hunted a bunch and barely dig a keeper. It is the fun part of the chase. Makes you enjoy and appreciate those productive sites so much more.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit that yard until you can not get a tone from nothing, then go around and around for anything you MIGHT have missed in between the ones you found. VERY nice hall! HAPPY - HAPPY hunting. one thing more try it right after a rain, the very next morning, water helps the detector seeing metal.
Thanks and I appreciate the advice. I will give it a try.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread