What's new

Old souvenir token

treasuresalvor

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2011
Messages
260
Reaction score
305
Golden Thread
0
Location
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this on the edge of a field that has been turning up a lot of old broken pottery. Aluminum souvenir token from the Chicago world fair 1882-83. Almost didn't dig it. Too bad someone drilled a hole in it.
 

Attachments

  • 1458765044778.webp
    1458765044778.webp
    288.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 1458765070433.webp
    1458765070433.webp
    16.7 KB · Views: 102
Upvote 10
Congratz on a nice find! The hole gives it character, someone wore it!
 
So-Called Dollar. HK-174. Issued for the Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1892-3. This variety is one of the World Globe Dollars and is struck in Aluminum. Two varieties exist, one 2.5mm thick, the other 3.5mm. Great find. BTW, while preferable without the hole, I wouldn't be surprised if more had holes than not.

scd0131.webpscd0131_2.webp
 
Last edited:
Still a nice token even with the hole
 
Thanks guys, I love finding any items from the 1800's. Even though I knew it wasn't, it sure looked like a Morgan when it popped out of the hole. It's a very unique find for the area that I found it. I will be spending a little more time in that field now.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom