Old stone structure?

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I found this old stone structure while deer hunting last fall on the side of a small mountain ridge. Does anyone know what it might have been used for? As you can see in the pics it has a small hole in the center of base, and a 10ft. or larger circular hole on top. I havnt found any trash pits around and I havnt detected it as I dont own a metal detector at this time. Im just interested in knowing what it was and its time period......looks real old.

Attachments

• Picture 133.jpg
    Picture 133.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 754

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mojjax idea of Lime Kiln Sounds Possible.
What Confuses me is how Small the Opening.
Almost like a Fireplace.

No Chance there was a Mansion there & this was a Primitive Fireplace in it ? :P

This is a PA Iron Furnace.

I would think they all look like this.

Attachments

• SD012009.jpg
    SD012009.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 625
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
Undertaker,it's time to buy a metal detector and get out there and detect that thing.That way you(we'll) know what it was used for.It's an oven but used for what?Could of been for smelting,then again could of been for liquor making.A good detection of the area would tell you which,I would believe.Good luck. ;D ;D ;D

Id say For Sure.

IF it's an Iron Furnace, Your Detector is NOT going to work Right there.

Upvote 0
P

PostFatal

If you decide to detect the inside of the whatever, go in from the top if at all possible. The way those rocks look in the little opening, I don't think it would be safe trying to crawl thru.

Upvote 0

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I'm telling you guys, its for sure a iron ore furnace. I've seen hundreds of them all over KY, OH, WV, and a few in PA.
The one in the original post has some serious age to it, plus different material to make it with. The hole in the bottom more than likely was bigger back in the mid 1700s to mid 1800s. The area looks very overgrown, and over the years, I would wager that displaced rocks and dirt have made a pretty good fill in.
Plus, some of the old furnaces were filled in after their life. If you notice the hole in the original seems to be tiled with different kind of rock material, almost slab like, compared to the rest of the structure which is brick like.

And Jeff is right. Metal detecting that could prove to be an exercise of futility. There is probably tons of specks of iron all over, and if you discreminate that out, then you would more than likely miss anything that you would recover, such as tools.

There is one simple way to solve this. Try to look around the area and find a creek. That would have been very important to the furnace. If you go further downstream, depending on the force of the creek, you will more than likely find black glassy looking rock that resembles black flint. That is the left over from the kiln process, and you will have proven that it is an iron ore furnace.

The thing I think everyone should be asking themselves is how did a furnace just fade out like this? They were extremely important to the way of life, and almost everyone I have seen has at least one of those metal historical markers near it. Maybe this one was built, but was discovered it didn't work properly, or the township moved, or one of hundreds of different things.

You should give the location of the furnace to the local historical society, so they can get to work on it. Maybe they might want to dig it out a bit, and if so, maybe you can help. That would be pretty cool!

Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm telling you, it was a still! ;D ;D Look for a coil of copper tubing.

Mike

Upvote 0

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
diggummup said:
diving doc said:
It would be historically worthwhile but don't expect to find treasure as such and like Jeff said the slag and debris would make it a hand search. Metal detectors wouldn't be any help.

Doc
Historically worthwhile,agreed.Don't expect to find treasure,agreed.Metal detectors wouldn't be any help,disagree.How do you know this? I guess you can put a positive ID on this one too,just by the photo,huh? How do you know for sure without a doubt that this is not a kiln for a still?You of all people who questions every id made,even the already id'd ones. Metal detectors wouldn't be any help? How can you say that? It makes no sense.BTW- Are you ever gonna show us anything in todays finds or do you even own a detector? Let me guess,your a bigtime prof.treasure hunter and you use a boat that has side scan sonar,magnetometers,rov's and such huh? I'm sorry if this offends you doc,but your statement is just not true at all.

Oh lord, this is painful.... Great Scott, its making my eyes burn.... Unnnnnn... I have to agree with Doc... OOOWWWWWWWOOOOOOHHHHH!!!!!!

If it is indeed a iron ore kiln, which as I've stated in previous posts that I am positive (96.7%) that it is, then the amount of debris is going to be very high, not to mention tons of hot rocks. Best chances in my opinion to recover anything of historical value is a dig, and even then it will be a long search.
The problem with MDing it would be digging iron all the time, and if you discriminate against iron, your going to miss all the tools and neat artifacts.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe my Sovereign Would Work there, BUT I wouldn't get a TONE.
Which Means, I would be in fear that I would be Missing Small Objects.

I also believe it would be Crackling from Overload on alot of Large Iron.

that is IF I tried to use IRON MASK.

all Metal May be Different But Time consuming with all the Hot Rocks.

Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diving doc said:
And a hot rod Chevy with big tanks.......................Thunder Road! :D

No way Chevy! They were mostly Fords. Ford's flathead and the original V8 OHVs had the most power going back then. Just check out Junior Johnson (NASCAR). He has a great collection of moonshine running vehicles. That's how he got into racing. He used to run shine.

Mike

Upvote 0

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
diving doc said:
blurr said:
diving doc said:
Well then I stand corrected, pass the 'shine please :)

Doc

Lord help us!

Takes a real man to admit he's wrong in print, doesn't it?

Doc,

wasn't even talking about you being wrong, hope you can take a joke. There is nothing wrong with being wrong, i'm wrong all the time, just ask my wife. If you are mad, be mad I have moved on.

John

Upvote 0

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
diving doc said:
Sorry you don't see my humor. I'm far removed from the ego or personal level. It's puzzling to me that you'd think I was mad. I hardly ever get mad at anyone but myself. There is no venom in my posts unless personally attacked, then it's snakebite time :D

Regards,
Doc

Doc,

I'm not gonna go round and round with you. You seem very smart and all that stuff, so I'm sure you can figure out what I was saying. By the way, I saw a VERY similar structure on the discovery channel. It was a lime furnace. Wouldn't know the difference myself though.

John

Upvote 0
P

PostFatal

some of them "shine" runners did use Cadillac V8's. they were "The" motor to have. strong reliable and fast.

Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Run your car on it as well!

Mike

Upvote 0
C

Chris Whewell

undertaker said:
on top looking into it

Furnace of sorts is probably correct. But my first thought was that it would make a nice curing pit for deer and game. A couple fee of salt in there, then you can put in the meat and throw some more salt on top till it is full for the winter, with cured meat. Of course it should be covered, Hole at the bottom seems too small to stoke a fire and would make a good drain for the meat curing. just a thought........

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy: Unlike Doc etc., I am never wrong, just ask me.

We have many very similar ones down here for processing Lime for building purposes - mortar.

Of course it is easier and cheaper to buy processed lime today.

A furnace for iron smelting probably would need a much higher chimney for the increased draft needed for the higher temperatures.

Tropical Tramp

Upvote 0

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
I ran across one of these too several years ago in an area that had been placer mined in the early 1900's. It was built the same with flat rocks, hole in front and on top. On examining the inside with a flashlight i found a iron rod across the inside about half way up that could be used to suspend things for cooking or smoke-curing fish etc. The outside was covered with earth making it look like a mound about six feet high. I assume it was an oven for food preparation and was used by the early miners or the Chinese miners that followed the early discoveries. I think ovens like this were used in very early history even for bread baking.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread