Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
teacher457 said:
Found this plot while searching Google Earth for MDing sites and was wondering what it could be. It's located about 9 miles North East of Post and no one around here seems to know what it is, including the land owner.

Thanks,
Carol

""North East of Post"......I may have missed it in your eariler posts, Is Post the name of a town or are you refering to a Military Post?

OP
OP
T

teacher457

Jan 4, 2009
Montana Jim said:
Possibly an old cattle - stock yard... odd the current owner has no history.

This is pretty much a ranching area so I thought about the old cattle/stock yard too. The current owner has had that property for 40 + years. I'm going to try to go out there sometime in the near future and see for my self. I teach with the land owner's daughter so I should be able to get permission to hunt that spot. This spot covers about 48 acres and each little plot is just a little over an acre according to Google Earth measurements (1605' x 1333')

OP
OP
T

teacher457

Jan 4, 2009
abitexex said:
Can't find my copy, maybe made its way back to Texas. If you don't have one best travel guide I found might have some reference to the area.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Why-Stop/Betty-Dooley-Awbrey/e/9781589792432/?itm=1

Thanks for the website, I'll have to look at the book when I go to Barns & Nobles. I don't think anything would be in the book about this plot, there is not a historical marker any where near this site. I still haven't found out what it is and I haven't been able to get out there, but I will.

Carol :icon_study:

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what's the latest on this mystery plot of land?

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carol, I'm betting they are old homesites. Possibly a community? If it was, your in for some happy hunting!

Rick

Sir Digs-A-Lot

Sep 14, 2008
Orlando Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II and ACE 250
Here it is back in 1991 and 1996...
Maybe those were irrigation ditches for some type of agriculture. Ask the owner what the structure was that is no longer there. Maybe you can even find a street address for a business at the location. Looks like a dry creek bed in the NW corner. Good luck!
Picture4.jpg Picture5.jpg

OP
OP
T

teacher457

Jan 4, 2009
Hi all,
I haven't been able to get out and look at the site, been taking care of my 80 year old father in-law. In fact I'm sitting at the hospital at the moment. I have talked to the land owner and he doesn't know of any structures there and it doesn't have irrigation canals. Most of the land around Post is dry land farming and ranch land. There is a salt creek just north of there that eventually drains into the North Branch of the Brazos River. Spring break is next week and I hope I can get out there and look around some if my father in-law is better and out of the hospital.

Thanks for looking and the comments,
Carol :icon_study: :coffee2:

Texas Gld

May 31, 2007
Powers,Oregon
Considering where it is at ! Looks like an AG. test spot for best preforming grass/corn/feed. County Extension Agency may have records/Texas A&M Ag.Dept Collage Sta. could have been a consultant.
Could have been a Grass farm for City Nursery,s Just looks to much like an experimental plot,a BIG one.

Found this plot while searching Google Earth for MDing sites and was wondering what it could be. It's located about 9 miles North East of Post and no one around here seems to know what it is, including the land owner.

Thanks,
Carol
[/quote]

hogshooter

Apr 18, 2009
i was wondering if maybe it was an old feed lot for the ranch long ago. i wouldnt be surpised if texas gld had the right answer being test plots of grass or crops of some kind.
hogshooter

OP
OP
T

teacher457

Jan 4, 2009
Sorry I haven't posted in a month. I still haven't gotten out to that plot to see what is there. My father in-law passed away never leaving the hospital. Now we are dealing with estate issues and greedy family members. Hopefully I will get to go there soon, I'm getting to feel like I'm not meant to go.

Thanks for reading
Carol :(

Likely Guy

teacher457 said:
Sorry I haven't posted in a month. I still haven't gotten out to that plot to see what is there. My father in-law passed away never leaving the hospital. Now we are dealing with estate issues and greedy family members. Hopefully I will get to go there soon, I'm getting to feel like I'm not meant to go.

Thanks for reading
Carol :(

Sorry for your family's loss Carol, as well as the craziness that ensues. Don't give up on the site though, it's not goung anywhere!

edflower

Nov 18, 2008
Colombia
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
You mentioned a salt creek nearby... To me this site looks the ruins of a typical salt-evaporating activity. They are fairly common in my area here, coastal Colombia. Briny water from a marsh or other salty source is channelled into and trapped in containment pools and then allowed to evaporate, leaving crude salt to be collected.

EF

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems kinda strange that the county tax records wouldn't have the info on the land's use back through the history of the county. :icon_scratch:

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Shortstack said:
Seems kinda strange that the county tax records wouldn't have the info on the land's use back through the history of the county. :icon_scratch:

I agree... there outta be something out there that can be referenced.

Insteresting idea about the salt evaperating pools EF. I'm not sure it's been made clear what the terrain looks like... is trenched or built up or just leveled markings?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread