Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Irma uprooted a massive tree here in Downtown Ft. Myers.... the past month I’ve wondered if it would be worth it to poke around, boy am I happy I did!:headbang:

6169101B-76C6-44FA-A007-1A6A55C4DE74.jpegB68869C2-FFE3-47B8-BA1A-CBA8D120B7AA.jpeg

The “A” on the eagles breast I assume means artillery, and the shank is intact, with Scoville Waterbury clear as day....
But look at that eagle!.... looks old, like what you up north guys find. I’ve never found a button like this.
If this is Civil swag, it goes down as my most significant find ever.

There was Federal occupation here in Ft. Myers, and a skirmish between soldiers and Indians, all of whom were drunk, or so I’ve read.

So tell me button experts, am I the man?

Thanks for looking!:hello:

Upvote 31
Real nice button Dave !
I agree Civil War, u da man !
Found your button in Tice`s book Uniform Buttons of the United States 1776-1865
Page 121 "Federal Armed Forces" #3 AY206A8 Artillery;low convex, two piece , Several die variants of two piece made from the late 1820s through the early 1840s 19-20 mm.
Gary

Last edited:
Go ahead and do the happy dance cause U DA MAN! Congrats

Congratulations Dave! That's a great find and it looks to be in great shape.
I have found many Egale I, and general service buttons but have yet to find an artillery button. Enjoy the ride Bud.

HH, RN
A lot of times there is more than one so pound that site.

Way to go Dave! Hard to find down here. Prob was Seminole War related. You da man!

I didn’t even consider the possibility of Seminole war swag.... holy crap!
The third and final conflict was here in Ft Myers in 1858.... could it be?......
All that matters is this my greatest find, hands down.

Also, thanks Gary for your research and input....thanks to all of you!

That be it! For sure! Yeehah! A nice one too.

I didn’t even consider the possibility of Seminole war swag.... holy crap!
The third and final conflict was here in Ft Myers in 1858.... could it be?......
All that matters is this my greatest find, hands down.

Also, thanks Gary for your research and input....thanks to all of you!

I think you need to head downtown and hit every rootwad in the old section of town that you can. Never know what you may find. Congrats on a great button!

Yea as GAP said , I was thinking pre-Civil War, a similar type was found by Calabashdigger. I was thinking his was a pre-CW Type as well

Don't have my book in front of me but I 'Think' I see slight differences in the Eagle .

You done Super Good That tree helped the button to stay in such good shape + sandy soil IMO.

P.S. I have checked many a fallen Trees root-balls in the past & never found anything, did u pin-point it or was it in the 'Crater'?.
Like Relic nut , I got GS & a Few 'I' buttons but no 'A' or 'C' in my case (not even in my Calvary camp)???

Hey Davers, the crater had nothing, but the uprooted topsoil was loose.... I couldn’t get a good read with the Pro, the propinter found it after random probing into the rootball.... otherwise, I’d never have found it.

Hold on, better pics coming.

Dang! Nice haul! Guess the only way to find out if it worth hunting a place is to hunt it. Congrats!

Hey Davers, the crater had nothing, but the uprooted topsoil was loose.... I couldn’t get a good read with the Pro, the propinter found it after random probing into the rootball.... otherwise, I’d never have found it.

Hold on, better pics coming.

Man thanks for the answer , I usually go 'All Metal' around the root balls , usually I'm to lazy to use the Pin-pointer between all those little & Big root's , but Ill try harder in the future.
Again
AWESOME FIND !

Awesome find Dave. I can tell your still stoked. Enjoy the high.

Awesome find to say the least
Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back