OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth, the old hotel was just north of Beach Blvd, just west of the inlet on the west side of Clermont Harbor, I think. It had a long history of being destroyed, fires, storms, etc...

vjmelancon35

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VJ, Thank you for your service. Where would you like to look? Let us first start with your family tree. I call this "Shack Your Family Tree, Maybe A Pirate Will Fall Out. No, not one pirate named Melancon. Iberia Parish is full of Stories. Jefferson Island has had a lot of people looking for Lafitte treasure. In 1921 several gold cones were found. 1928 at a place called "Voodoo Land, $40.000 in English, French and Mexican gold and silver, was found. In 1933 Spanish and Mexican gold and silver coins were found. I am told these sites are on private land. Marsh Island, treasure from a wrecked ship found on Padre Island, Texas, was buried by the Spanish for safe keeping, until another ship could be sent to retrieve it. State property, can't dig that. 1952 a "Bushel of Coins" was found on Jefferson Island.

Hubertville, a section of Jeanerette, has a story about a planter who buried all of his valuables and joined the Confederate Army and never returned. Avery Island is said to be the first Indian settlement in Louisiana. There are more Indian sites. Saint Gabrial, The Houmas House Plantation, roomer-ed to have buried treasure there. There is a lot of history there.

The thing is I could go on and on about just your Parish, I you want to know about a specific treasure in area, please ask, tell me what your are using. Good Luck.
My parish is a great place to look for treasure. My best digging site so far has been my own back yard! I have a permission on Jefferson Island that I hope will yield more than trash one day. Until then, I'll keep digging...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky you, I know people who would give anything to go there. Be sure you have the best metal detector you can buy, you may not have a second chance.

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I good news: Today 9/18/17, I read an articular that stated the Trump administration is trying to role back the land grabs of the Democrap administrations and restore our uses of our land to us. There may be a future for Treasure Hunters yet.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I good news: Today 9/18/17, I read an articular that stated the Trump administration is trying to role back the land grabs of the Democrap administrations and restore our uses of our land to us. There may be a future for Treasure Hunters yet.

As you see I wear mine everyday I don't just look at it in my house in private. Lol IMG_1012.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before Katrina, I had a book: Encyclopedia of Forts, Post, Named Camps and Other Military Installations in Louisiana, 1700-1981, by Powell A. Casey, it listed every known military site in the state. I tried to replace it, but $180.00, was the lowest price I could find in used condition. If you live in Louisiana, you may find a copy in a library, if you want that type of information. Also check out this site: 18th History: the Camps, Forts, Etc.

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth, nothing off the top of my head, but let me know about the island I asked you about.

Nelson01

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2018
Covington
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr.Johnny, I know this is an old thread. Do you have any knowledge of any areas in north Covington area, Saint Tammany parish? I’m new here, and to metal detecting, and trying to learn. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Al Bundy

Dec 28, 2017
The Boot
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The north shore in general should have some great places to detect. From what I know it was a popular retreat area for wealthy New Orleanians during the 19th century. They would travel to the north shore for leisure, and also to avoid any disease outbreaks that would pop up in New Orleans.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The north shore in general should have some great places to detect. From what I know it was a popular retreat area for wealthy New Orleanians during the 19th century. They would travel to the north shore for leisure, and also to avoid any disease outbreaks that would pop up in New Orleans.

I found a 1829 Spanish Mexican 8 Reales in a sidewalk strip in Historic Covington. I got it where they use to bring the oxen, booze and goods from New Orleans and bring back pine oil and what not from the Northshore. It was in front of a lawyers office and a boutique only strip of grass on the block. Embarrassing situation but paid of at 9”. It was Blake as the ace of spades with patina I didn’t even know what it was till I got home.

Al Bundy

Dec 28, 2017
The Boot
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that's a chunk of silver! Hope you're monitoring that area for road/sidewalk tear ups.

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nelson, That area has always been good to me. There was an old school in that area that always produces good finds. I do not remember where it was, I am old and finding it harder to get my thoughts together. Just keep on checking, the more you use your MD the better you get.

Truth, I have one for you, but I need to write the whole story down before I send it to you. Hopefully before I forget, again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread