Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just ordered your book and can't wait to read it. I tell my husband all the time that I'm destined to find Lafitte's treasure: Jean is my middle name, my mother's name is Joan, and my daughter is Johannah--we're channeling Lafitte over three generations and in three languages! Regardless of whether I do or not, I'm having a great time searching for it.

Thanks so much for your willingness to share your vast knowledge about our "rich" state!

They just had a show about Jean Lafitte on Expedition Unknown. I taped it and am gonna watch it very soon.

vjmelancon35

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just finished watching it. I was afraid it would portray Lafitte as an "ancient asronaut," but thankfully, it follows the known history fairly well--and metal detecting plays a starting role. [emoji16]

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lafitte was a very successful pirate as were his captains and crews. if I knew where to look I would have found it all, but would not be able to tell you. If you came across a Lafitte Treasure Map, you would never recognize it for what it is. The map would not look like a map, but let's say an object of art or a coded message. The only way you may find it is pure luck and perseverance. All of the good spots have been taken over by the government. If you do find any treasure, try not to tell anyone and don't give up trying, it may only be a shovels turn away.

vjmelancon35

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thoroughly enjoying your book! I love that you discuss so many other topics that I am equally fascinated with, such as burial mounds. I'm always looking for them as I drive. Thank you for sharing so much of your knowledge with the rest of us!

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Johnny, I ordered your book from Amazon last week and it should be delivered tomorrow. Glad I found this thread and I look forward to reading it.

Happy hunting...

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently got it too. Its a Treasure in itself..
THANK YOU!!!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone's speaking of Johnny's book...had to check it out. Johnny, I see you joined up in July '17, I missed you joining up cause I was in Houston @ MDA with my husband for treatments. I, like you lost everything in the flood of Aug '16. Katrina was bad for us too, cousin who lost his home in Slidell had moved into our farm house for almost a year. Then got flooded also while my son, DIL and 3 grand babies living there with 4th grand baby due in 3 months. It was hard for many in our area, some still not back into their homes, some just let it go and moved elsewhere.

Wayne Norward who has the Louisiana Treasure's Museum located on Hwy 22 between Ponchatoula and Springfield, had lost just about everything in his museum during the same flood. He's opened back up just this year.

Okay, do we order the book from you? Shoot me a PM!

RR

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyone's speaking of Johnny's book...had to check it out. Johnny, I see you joined up in July '17, I missed you joining up cause I was in Houston @ MDA with my husband for treatments. I, like you lost everything in the flood of Aug '16. Katrina was bad for us too, cousin who lost his home in Slidell had moved into our farm house for almost a year. Then got flooded also while my son, DIL and 3 grand babies living there with 4th grand baby due in 3 months. It was hard for many in our area, some still not back into their homes, some just let it go and moved elsewhere.

Wayne Norward who has the Louisiana Treasure's Museum located on Hwy 22 between Ponchatoula and Springfield, had lost just about everything in his museum during the same flood. He's opened back up just this year.

Okay, do we order the book from you? Shoot me a PM!

RR

I lost everything in Katrina in Metairie in a no flood zone 100ft from the levee with the pumping station on the next block. Didn’t turn the pumps on and I bought it the month before. Me and the wife (at the time) bought the house because we hoped a larger more expensive house might help us love each other again (lol) well all I can tell you is a Fema trailer will speed up a decision to divorce quick. But that was ok because I had more important things to worry about like business. We bought the house without having to sell the first “smaller” house that she hated in the first place that didn’t flood and gladly moved back there. So being in the mortgage business all of my deals I worked on prior ready to get closed (get paid) where now frozen and it took 9 months to get back to at least a paycheck still while trying to get this house redone that turned into a disaster from the beginning my first cousin (a contractor) robbed me blind and covered his tracks very well. I was concentrating so much on job and divorce I put all my trust into my cousin and lost. Throughout me scratching 12 hour days for months to hold on to what I thought at the time was “important” Porsche 911, house, etc...At the end I completely lost everything anyway and had a nerves break down. Oh did I fail to tell you I was also audited during all this and got robbed even more. It was a long recovery with metal detecting coming in years later. I now have a lot less materialistic life with a good wife that fell in love with me when I was at my lowest and picked up a great hobby to boot for metal therapy I call it.
Oh and a paid off 2002 Dodge Truck with now 191,000 miles on it and I love it. Life just don’t get any better.

But yes Katrina left mental scars that are still with us till this day. We just don’t talk about them. I’ll talk about politics and religion way before Katrina [emoji1317]

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth1253, If you look back on the Louisiana threads, you will see articles/pictures that contributed to the forum. I had lost all my research papers, a lot of other historical stuff too. We own an old historical home/farm site on 214 acres. The farmhouse which was built in 1879 and all the out buildings around the property...the blacksmith shop (which I was in the process of restoring with the historical association), the rules & regulations for restoring to it's original condition, was a pain in the but_. Katrina took it down. The flood was just not losing a house, it included all of heavy equipment, generators, lawn mowers, motrocycle, ATVs, my car, all my detectors, pin pointers + 83 head of cattle.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth1253, If you look back on the Louisiana threads, you will see articles/pictures that contributed to the forum. I had lost all my research papers, a lot of other historical stuff too. We own an old historical home/farm site on 214 acres. The farmhouse which was built in 1879 and all the out buildings around the property...the blacksmith shop (which I was in the process of restoring with the historical association), the rules & regulations for restoring to it's original condition, was a pain in the but_. Katrina took it down. The flood was just not losing a house, it included all of heavy equipment, generators, lawn mowers, motrocycle, ATVs, my car, all my detectors, pin pointers + 83 head of cattle.

Oh I understand. I was devastating I’m always hard pressed to find a picture of me and family in the past of my childhood hood because my momma’s house flooded and the brown cardboard box, although high on top of the closet, mildewed into one big mush by the time we got there which was two weeks later.

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Johnny, I ordered your book from Amazon last week and it should be delivered tomorrow. Glad I found this thread and I look forward to reading it.

Happy hunting...

Johnny, got your book in a couple of days ago and I'm about a third of the way through it. I like your writing style...to-the-point story telling, good information and I really like your little hunting tips you throw in here and there. It'll make a nice addition to my collection and I know it'll be one of the books I'll go back to again and again.

Happy hunting...

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where's Johnny?

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think most of us were in the same boat. Katrina was a ***** from hell. They say what does not kill only makes us stronger.

God bless us all.

Johnny

D.Brockman

Oct 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good day, all.

Does anyone know if Johnny still frequents this board?

docweiser

Aug 20, 2019
Maryland
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Know the feeling John, on the same road just not as far along, yet. Giving back is the only way to live!

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am "nowhere near" the league of Johnny, but I was born in Louisiana and I have a good memory.

Anyone still interested in leads and tips to some spots to detect in "Sportsman's Paradise?"

Louisiana_150x124.JPG

Last edited:

docweiser

Aug 20, 2019
Maryland
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk about old, the guy / gal that drew up the state lines either had a shaking problem or lost the ruler after 2 lines!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread