Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nelson, That area has always been good to me. There was an old school in that area that always produces good finds. I do not remember where it was, I am old and finding it harder to get my thoughts together. Just keep on checking, the more you use your MD the better you get.

Truth, I have one for you, but I need to write the whole story down before I send it to you. Hopefully before I forget, again.

Johnny don’t forget to write it down and PM me. You know it won’t go to waste I’ll go check it out. And thank you for what you’ve already done for me. Stay good stay healthy.

Nelson01

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2018
Covington
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johnny, thank you for your advice, I will be sure to do that and I’ll try to research any old schools in this area. Ill post pictures if I find anything

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nelson: Honey Island Swamp, {I know it is not next door to you, but I will give you what I have on St. Tammany Parish} there are hundreds of reports of pirates hiding treasure there. James Copeland, Calico Dick. Jean Lafitte, John Murrell, Pierre Rameau and others uses the swamp at one time or another. They all left and most never returned. Over the years approximately $1,000,000 has been reported found there, but that is only 1/4 of what is believed to be there.

Covington: Hunters investigating an old abandon plantation found almost $10,000 in pre Civil War gold and silver.
I am not going to list treasure in sunken ships.

Madisonville, there was some talk about treasure hunters looking for a $500,000 treasure only several gold coins were reported found.

Basically, treasure is where you find it. If you run across old houses check the bottom of fireplaces. It was the custom in older times to place coins from the year under the stones at the bottom of the fireplace. Check the baseboards and if you can fine what looks like an animal pin near the house check there. People used the animals as burglar alarms and would hide their valuables there.

Good luck and never remove anything that looks like human remains.

Johnny

Grizsf

Greenie
Mar 29, 2016
Sicily Island, LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Mr. Johnny, would you happen to have anything in the Catahoula Parish area? Like Jonesville, Sicily Island, Harrisonburg areas? I'm currently working on one lead but would be interested in anything else as well. I know we are close to the old neutral zone between LA and TX but a lot of what is around there seems, at least on the surface to be in the National Forrest. Don't think I want to try the Feds just yet....:laughing7:

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grizsf: You can call me Johnny or 45TH Johnny, but you dosen't have to call me Mr. Seriously I have information on all of that. Lets start with Indian Mounds. Any land that has a rise to probably had an Indian Mound. Today there are some serious hunters searching for the Seven Cities of Gold in the Louisiana, Mississippi area. Catahoula Parish was named for the native tribe that occupied the are. Clayton: Indian relics and artifacts have been found along the Tensas River between Clayton and Foules. Ditto Lake: The Natchez Indians fought a battle with the French at a bluff along Ditto Lake. Many relics and artifacts of the battle have been found in the area of the bluff.

Jonesville: Anilco was an Indian Village that once stood on the site of present day Jonesville, lots of artifacts have been found in the area. Three Indian mounds were located at the junction of the Black, Little, Washita and Tensas Rivers.

Sicily Island: In 1716, the French established Fort Rosalie near Natchez, Mississippi, In 1729, the Natchez Indians, in retaliation for treatment received at the hands of the French, attacked the fort and killer all of the males. After the massacre the Indians reportedly buried the valuables near Cash Knob. The site of Fort Natchez is believed to be located on the grounds of the Battle Ground Plantation, located on the eastern edge of Sicily Island, one-half mile north of the town of Sicily and east of State Hwy 15. The Ferry Plantation is located on State Hwy 1731, approximately one and one-quarter miles south of State Hwy 8.

That is just the Indians, there is a lot more, post when you want the next dose.

Good luck, Johnny

TXLAHUNTER

Aug 13, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you where 3 mounds are located near Catahoula Lake. When i was a teenager, we would duck hunt and walk right by them to get to our hunting location. We knew that they were Indian Mounds, but we really didn't know what we could have found if we would have just searched! PM me and i will send you a pic of the location. I believe they are on private land now, but I'm not sure if the owner knows it. They were not easily seen from a road or trail. It's a hike in or by boat to get to them.

If my memory serves me correct, they were about 12 -15 ft tall each and 50 - 60 feet across. They were covered with smaller trees, so the top of the canopy was consistant with the surrounding area, you can not see them from the air or on Google Maps.

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bridge going north from Jonesville to Harrisonburg was built on top of a mound that was levelled. Just south of Harrisonburg are several mounds where Walkers Texans fought Yankee gunboats.

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jonesville was not there during the war, Trinity across the river was, part has eroded and no longer there

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
Molewacker, That is kind of you to say that, but it is purely personal. I spend about ten hours a day in bed and the rest in my chair. I sometime watch movies or read. The last job I had was over twenty years ago. I have had over thirty-six surgeries, with more on hold. I need to do this.

I am not in your league with the surgeries, having only had 8, at age 62. But, I did go thru an illuminating experience.
Both I and my brother received transplants in 1977. He went into chronic rejection about 15 years after his transplant, and still kept it another 15 years.
I in turn was having issues, and because of my brothers experience, we assumed it was chronic rejection.
My health got worse and worse, over a period of years. I was a cripple, for almost all purposes. I thought I had something like heart failure, and would die soon.
Anyway, my doctor had routine blood tests done, and they showed my chemistries were dangerously out of whack. I was sent to the emergency room, transferred to another hospital, where they put me on an IV.
After days in the hospital, and a biopsy, I was released, with a prescription for Bicarbonate of Soda.
It seems my blood was acidic from my meds, and that was irritating the transplanted organ, causing my potassium to be sky high.
After all those years of illness, all I needed was Bicarbonate!
I feel like a new man, and that is why I am here now. I had given up on detecting, as I was unable to walk ten feet. Now, I am virtually normal.
I am looking forward to your training here.

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Experience is the best training of all. It helps if you have someone else to cover the same ground to see what you may have missed.

Tasmorn

Jun 9, 2013
Laplace, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Nox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I live in Laplace and would like any information you can give me.. thanks

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johnny,
Have read your posts with great anticipation of learning some of the information you have to share.
I Travel both sides of the Mississippi River corridor from Iberville Parish to Franklin Parish quite regularly, and south to New Orleans as well.
Any information you have to share along that corridor is of great interest to me, and particularly Iberville and Franklin Parishes as I spend the majority of my time there.
Thanks
Buck

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LaPlace? How about Destrehan Plantation? "Misery Mansion" extended from the river to Lake Pontchartrain. I once took a picture there of a ghost. Anyway, between the river and the lake Trepagnier buried his vast wealth before his death. Richard Butler, the next owner and changed the name to Ormond, buried his money and died. His wife soon followed. Samuel Mc Cutchon was next, he, his wife and children just vanished, before the Civil War began. Senator Basile La Place restored the plantation and once again the curse struck. He was found hanging from an old Oak tree.

When I returned to ask about the person in the upstairs window, I leaned she was a ghost. Also' there had been a crew filming for a travel channel that captured a child ridding on his bike that only appeared when the were editing the film. No one saw the child the day he they filmed.

Sorry for the absents I haven't been myself lately

P.S. Buck, I will try to answer you tomorow.

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buck: Jefferson Island, in 1921 several gold coins dated 1754, were found, later that year three pots of gold and silver coins were found in the area called Lafitte Oaks. I know they were found, but that was 1921, what was not found? After removing $4,000,000 in gold, silver and jewels from the Santa Elena, Lafitte put to shore on Jefferson Island and buried the treasure. West of Olive there was a plantation, where the owner buried a large amount of gold coins, the family jewels and silver services before joining the Confederate Army. The owner was killed in action taking the location to the grave with him. Avery Island: Confederate Soldiers operated a salt mine on the island until April 1863, when Union troops attacked and took over operations and remained until after the war ended. Jeanerette: The Albania Plantation House was constructed in 1837. After the Battle of Berwick Bay, the house was occupied be General Nathaniel Banks. His troops encamped around the plantation. It is located on Louisiana State Hwy 182, one-quarter mile east of Jenerette. Gold has been found in: Webster, Union Parishes, but also in the Atchafalya. Mississippi,Pearl, Red ans Sabine Rivers. Glacial deposits on gold in Allen, Beauregard, Caddo, Catahoula, East Baton Rouge, Evangeline, Grant Parishes In the hills near Colfax. Union Parish, Turkey Bluffs. along Bayou D' Aebonne... I could go on, but my body says STOP.

Good Luck.

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for taking the time to spread your wealth of knowledge Johnny.
Im sure everyone here wishes you well, and truly appreciates every tidbit you have shared.
I ordered your book, and im eagerly awaiting its delivery.
Hope you are feeling better soon.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you too Johnny I’ve learned a lot from you and enjoy and appreciate every time you post. You’re the true treasure in my book.

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the kind words. I would give the book away if I could, but Amazon would not be happy. I have one of the originals, that I use. They pop up on Ebay from time to time for twice what Amazon gets for them.

Last edited:

Gigirl

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2018
Baton Rouge,La
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Equinox 800, Excal 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi Johnny! Have been reading all of your posts. You are a treasure yourself! I've really enjoyed the historic past that you have shared. I live in Baton Rouge and very frequently go to Grand Isle. If you can give me some ideas of detecting at Grand Isle or nearby, I would certainly appreciate it. Areas near BR would also be great.

vjmelancon35

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ordered your book and can't wait to read it. I tell my husband all the time that I'm destined to find Lafitte's treasure: Jean is my middle name, my mother's name is Joan, and my daughter is Johannah--we're channeling Lafitte over three generations and in three languages! Regardless of whether I do or not, I'm having a great time searching for it.

Thanks so much for your willingness to share your vast knowledge about our "rich" state!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Johnny! Have been reading all of your posts. You are a treasure yourself! I've really enjoyed the historic past that you have shared. I live in Baton Rouge and very frequently go to Grand Isle. If you can give me some ideas of detecting at Grand Isle or nearby, I would certainly appreciate it. Areas near BR would also be great.

My family has a camp in Pirate’s Cove across from the State Park. I’ve notice not much public land to detect in Grand Isle and so far I haven’t had much luck on the beach unfortunately.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread