What's new

Opening machine rolled halves...

tenseventyfive

Full Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2010
Messages
131
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Anyone got a good way to do it - I've been using a small knife to cut open the paper on the end then unrolling, but after 2 boxes its tough on the fingers. Or perhaps someon can suggest some tools to use...
Thanks!

10-75
 
Upvote 0
I slice them with a heavy duty box cutter. Got to watch out for the fingers though.
HH
Rich
 
Rich Hartford said:
I slice them with a heavy duty box cutter. Got to watch out for the fingers though.
HH
Rich
I smack'em on corner of my kitchen counter and have trashcan nearby for rollers and Bag for Clad.
 
I smack em on my side of my computer desk, with a bag for wrappers and reuse the box to put coins in nearby.
 
I cut a small opening in the ends of the roll and pull them off. Then pull the roll open and slide the roll into my hand. You can usually hear if there is any silver but a quick look will confirm if there is any silver or nice proof coin. I then toss the dregs into a plastic bank deposit bag. I can do a box in about ten minutes. I have good eyesight so this helps with speed. I keep a bottle of hand sanitize around and use it between each box.

Maine_Jim
 
You know using a razor or knife is for me dangerous- it is just a matter of time before you slash self and have to sell alot of your Silver to pay for the stitches and Doctor fees, and bleach to clean up the crime scene.
 
I just keep my nails long during the time period I do most of my boxes. So I probably cut them twice a month. It's just easier and faster that way to me. But it sucks when they are to short and I catch a paper cut underneath...
 
i just grab the little spiky jaged edges that go down the side of the roll in an arrow like shape, & pull it, so the roll tears open revealing and silver edges if any, so i can pluck those & toss the rest.
 
Go to an office supply store and buy a staple puller. You want the one which looks like a plastic handle, not the one with the hinged jaws. The rounded flat metal slides right under the paper and just rip upwards. No way you could cut yourself. Or go to Goodwill and see if they have a butter knife in their housewares section.
 
I use a snips to clip the corner and peel it down.
 
In my driveway, I stand about 10 feet from a brick wall and throw them as hard as I can. They explode against the wall and I can hear if there is silver once they start hitting the concrete ground. Works well, but my neighbors think I am crazy...
 
I eats me spinach, and snaps em between me fingers. Guh guh guh guh guh guh guh toot toot :laughing7:
 
Soaking them in water for a week will do it but if your in a hurry have the wife do it. :laughing9:
 
obediah said:
You know using a razor or knife is for me dangerous- it is just a matter of time before you slash self
I agree with that! :'(
I was opening the clear plastic dime rools with a box cutter paying careful attention to the blade as I held the roll in the palm of my hand. My wife walked in and asked a question, I looked up and the knife slipped and guess what happened? :dontknow: >:(
 
I line them up and then torch them to burn away the paper, just dump some water on them to cool them off and you're good to go, it takes me about 2 minutes to go through a box that way. :laughing7:

Just kidding, I use those eyebrow plucker things (found in the beauty section of Wal*Mart) and unroll the crimp on one side of the roll. With a jerk of the hand they all come out, I then date check them, pull what I want, replace any that I removed, then I reroll them using the same wrapper that they came in. This works for all denominations.
 
Rich Hartford said:
I slice them with a heavy duty box cutter. Got to watch out for the fingers though.
HH
Rich

Ditto.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom