Opinions for a newbie - gold/pyrite/copper/iron

ck-gold

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some samples I soaked in muriatic acid for a few days- it's got all the good colours and some very obvious mineralization. Is the golden colour I'm seeing mainly pyrite? I'm waiting to crush it until my partner is present. Any thoughts? image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I have a thought. Why haven't you just done a scratch test? A jeweler would do it for free. Now I think I'll have some ice cream. Best of luck!:occasion14:

OP
OP
C

ck-gold

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did. There's both gold and pyrite

OP
OP
C

ck-gold

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think. Lol. Left golden streak but also at other angles
A dark streak. Are you able to pick out and identify any other mineralization for me!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
What else can you tell us about the sample? Area from? near surface or from inside a mine? From an abandoned mine? Was it found at the source or would this be float?

It's beautiful mineralization and maybe some of the experienced folks can tell you something without any more info, but all the info you can provide will help EVERYONE greatly.

...And welcome to Tnet! :hello:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What did the jeweler say? A "Scratch test" involves testing the scratch with acid to determine karat.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have some samples I soaked in muriatic acid for a few days- it's got all the good colours and some very obvious mineralization. Is the golden colour I'm seeing mainly pyrite? I'm waiting to crush it until my partner is present. Any thoughts? View attachment 1335616 View attachment 1335617 View attachment 1335618

And you are planning to do what with it???????

You do understand that iron pyrite is a sulphide based mineral right? In order to process sulphide ores they need to be roasted and they give off Sulphur Dioxide, it has a rotten egg smell.

Sulphur Dioxide will kill your sense off smell if you are exposed to it for too long so you might think it went away. It will build up in the air, if in an enclosed area, and it quite effectively send you to the gold mine in the sky.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I've been doing some research on this problem of processing sulphide based ores. Based on the research I have read, a 1" layer of activated charcoal made from palm based feedstock will remove approximately 80% of the sulfur dioxide from the air along with a lot of other nasty stuff like arsenic trioxide.

It appears at this time a "diy air scrubber" with multiple layers of palm based activated charcoal will effectively reduce the poisonous and troublesome off gases to well below acceptable levels for daily tolerances and pollution levels.

Enjoy.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That's interesting - hadn't heard that. I wonder how other sources of activated charcoal compare?

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's interesting - hadn't heard that. I wonder how other sources of activated charcoal compare?

I think we would be better off with a wet scrubber. Less cost in the long run and easier to set up. This is important enough to have it's own thread, hence the other thread.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I've been doing some research on this problem of processing sulphide based ores. Based on the research I have read, a 1" layer of activated charcoal made from palm based feedstock will remove approximately 80% of the sulfur dioxide from the air along with a lot of other nasty stuff like arsenic trioxide.

It appears at this time a "diy air scrubber" with multiple layers of palm based activated charcoal will effectively reduce the poisonous and troublesome off gases to well below acceptable levels for daily tolerances and pollution levels.

Enjoy.
Interesting.... Reminds me of my old days when I tried jewellery making.
Back then we used what we in swedish called "vinsyra" as a flux, albeit rarely.
Tartaric acid as its known in english, forms coal when heated and produces (I assume) a reducing atmosphere.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to a mine here in NM a couple years ago known mostly for it's malachite.
There had been a lot of burning off sulfides but what I found interesting was the
smell was still very strong after mining had stopped 60 years ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions