What's new

opinions on a detector

wayland

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2012
Messages
77
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
I'm getting a whites vx3 in a few weeks. Does anybody know any good or bad things bout this detector. If It's bad let me know before I buy this one. Thanks.
 
wayland said:
I'm getting a whites vx3 in a few weeks. Does anybody know any good or bad things bout this detector. If It's bad let me know before I buy this one. Thanks.


So your going to spend a bunch of money on a detector you don't know any thing about. If you have to ask weather its good or bad then don't buy it until you have checked it out. Asking on a Internet forum is not advised. You may be getting advice from a fourteen year old.
 
A 14 year old, or me :laughing9:


It's best to look in the specific brand forums where people discuss their likes and dislikes and maybe a visit to youtube, where you can see the machines actually being used. :icon_thumleft:
 
I have done the research. They get great reviews. I was really just wanting to know if anybody had used one and if so how was it. Humorous not so much, disturbing maybe.
 
wayland said:
I have done the research. They get great reviews. I was really just wanting to know if anybody had used one and if so how was it. Humorous not so much, disturbing maybe.

I don't like them. Go for the garret Ace 250. I have heard good things.
 
I'd suggest reading the Brands Whites forum here.. I'm sure someone already discussed it, or could better answer your questions
 
I'm swinging a Garrett ace 350 now. I want something with vdi numbers and a little more fine tuning. Thanks for all the help.
 
attempted recovery said:
Sir are you serious, Or are you just being condescending?

Yes
 
wayland said:
I'm swinging a Garrett ace 350 now. I want something with vdi numbers and a little more fine tuning. Thanks for all the help.

The AT-Pro is the route I took. I am very happy with it. I even dropped it and cracked the screen the first couple days out with it and to my amazement Garrett fixed it for free! That's some good customer service!
Let me just clear up what most people without VDI think VDI does. VDI is not the precise, end all of guessing exactly what is in the ground. It is merely another tool to help you make an educated guess as to what's under the coil. In otherwise just because the VDI says 55 doesn't guarantee it's a nickel it still could even be a pull tab. It's kinda like only having hearing and you just added touch to your senses. You still can't see the object but now you have two senses to help you identify the object in question. Like everything, the more you learn your machine the better it will serve you and help you make the right decision when you decide to dig or not.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet
 
Ace350,thanks for your views. I know having vdi is not right on the money but it does help. The vx3 has vdi,graph and a selected tone. Every little bit helps. Thank you for your comments.
 
I'm old school and cheap, I use a Whites SL classic lll, bought it in 2000, I hated it at first, dug up every pull tab in the county then I settled down after a winter break, really studied the manuel and set up a air trial stand and figured out what the unit was trying to tell me. That was 11 yrs. ago. I may be wrong but I think its more in the sound than the sight of a target, anyway today , I love my classic I just had to learn how to use it.
 
Garrett ATPro, your already used to the Garrett unit so the learning curve will be short................HH good luck!
 
sound is every thing like nowwhat said...when the owner can tell buy the way his detectors beep... if it is an on surface beep, 1to3 inches deep beep, and the sound of a really deep beep 6 inches to a foot deep. "hows it bee-pen"tone I.d can drive you nuts some time...I think if a detector had tone I.d. just to check what the continuity is, in stead of turning your discrimination down or up too, see where your at on identifying what is buried below.
 
Last edited:
Brand bias is RAMPANT on all forums. Go to a brick and mortar store to try out more than one brand. Second best, call a store. TTC
 
vx3

Ace350,thanks for your views. I know having vdi is not right on the money but it does help. The vx3 has vdi,graph and a selected tone. Every little bit helps. Thank you for your comments.

i have had the ace 350 and now have the vx3. the ace is no where close to the vx3. the v also has 3 feq. i ran the ace over targets that said coins and checked it with the vx3 and it was saying junk. if you learn the vx3 you will dig very very little trash when coin hunting.

you never said what kind of hunting you was going to be doing. hope this helps.
 
white's has the their own patine on a rectangle sign wave. were they use both the square wave and a more efficient round sign wave together at the same time making a rectangle wave and that wave is real time and not preset a the factory like all the brands. that's what makes white's detectors number one in the world for telling "you" what's in the ground before you dig.


liftloop
 
liftloop said:
white's has the their own patine on a rectangle sign wave. were they use both the square wave and a more efficient round sign wave together at the same time making a rectangle wave and that wave is real time and not preset a the factory like all the brands. that's what makes white's detectors number one in the world for telling "you" what's in the ground before you dig.

liftloop

I don't pretend to be an expert on detectors and I have had the opportunity to swing more than one brand. I have had Garrett's, Bounty Hunters and Whites' machines. I currently own a 250 Ace, White's VX3 and a White's Beach Hunter ID. The VX3 has the horsepower of the top of the line V3i but not the over abundance of bells, whistles and adjustments. I chose theVX3 over the V3i for the ease of use in various locations. TheV3i DOES go deep after much tuning and tweaking. But given the AVERAGE depth of items being found in my part of the world, the VX3 does the job nicely. The tweaks on my machine are few but were well chosen by White's. One of my favorites it being able to adjust the frequency to compensate for EMI or nearby detectors to minimize interference. I suggest you let your style of hunting dictate your choice. Also check out the forums to see what problems others are encountering to see if you can or will deal with the same issues. I have not regretted my purchases from White's or Garrett. They are all used at least twice monthly in some capacity.
 
yea I'm not no expert either it's what I read about the two companies... I wanted to find out a bout mine lab detectors, which to me is the only other detector out their that compares to white's on a high tech, ingenuity level, and I read and read, what i found is that the way the frequencies are sent are in waves and their are only two of them a square not efficient and the round very efficient mine lab with all there other "claim" have a "fix" square wave where needed and a "fix" round wave were it is needed to perform their task. white's it's real time your in total control of the two waves making there own one wave which is rectangle it a more tune able,and reliable making it a Superior detector to all others....
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom