What's new

Organic or man made? Ancient or Modern?

Sarahs

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jul 3, 2020
Messages
4
Reaction score
15
Golden Thread
0
Location
California Sierra Foothills
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this in my back field. My area used to belong to the Maidu native tribe of the American river area. It is exactly how I found it (did not polish or shape). Two arrows are exactly opposite each other going in the same direction.
 

Attachments

  • Rock5.webp
    Rock5.webp
    159.4 KB · Views: 94
  • rock1.webp
    rock1.webp
    171.6 KB · Views: 82
  • rock2.webp
    rock2.webp
    146.8 KB · Views: 92
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Sarahs! Take a look at Forum: California for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved ya from NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.
 
Upvote 0
Welcome to Tnet from Toronto Sarah! :hello:

Can you tell us... do you think this is a semi-precious stone or possibly a fossilized seed that's been tumbled in a river? :dontknow:

My vote would be for a fossilized seed pod.
Dave
 
Upvote 0
Welcome to T-net

That appears to be a natural, but highly polished, piece of chiastolite. It’s a a variety of the mineral andalusite which is characterised by distinctive cross-shaped black inclusions of graphite. The unusual pattern has caused it to be used as a semi-precious stone and it has been used as an amulet for centuries.

Chiastolite1.webp Chiastolite2.webp

There are large deposits of it around Georgetown in California but If you go into any new age rock & gem shop, you’ll see small highly polished pebbles that have come out of a rock tumbler being sold as ‘mystical’ items. Most of what I see in UK shops has come from Spain. I don’t know how you could distinguish modern from ancient, but to me that looks like it has come out of a rock tumbler and been lost in recent times.
 
Upvote 0
Welcome to T-net

That appears to be a natural, but highly polished, piece of chiastolite. It’s a a variety of the mineral andalusite which is characterised by distinctive cross-shaped black inclusions of graphite. The unusual pattern has caused it to be used as a semi-precious stone and it has been used as an amulet for centuries.

View attachment 1846525 View attachment 1846526

There are large deposits of it around Georgetown in California but If you go into any new age rock & gem shop, you’ll see small highly polished pebbles that have come out of a rock tumbler being sold as ‘mystical’ items. Most of what I see in UK shops has come from Spain. I don’t know how you could distinguish modern from ancient, but to me that looks like it has come out of a rock tumbler and been lost in recent times.

:icon_thumleft: Incredible ID Red-Coat!
 
Upvote 0
Thank You!

Wow you know your stuff. I found a few other things near it, a grinding stone maybe-I will post to find out if it is just a rock) and some bottle pieces with the date 1915. Probably from railroad workers. Brand new to treasure hunting but addicted already.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum! :occasion14:

Good Luck and Happy hunting!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom