What's new

Oriental Stamp

Colonel Ken

Full Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2009
Messages
110
Reaction score
18
Golden Thread
0
Location
Oahu, Hawaii
I dug this oriental "Hanko" stamp behind an old Japanese newspaper publisher in Hilo, Hawaii. I am told that the newspaper operated in the late 1800s to the early 1900s. ??? I am trying to find out if anyone may know if this stamp is Japanese, Chinese, or from another Asian country. Is the stamp old? It feels heavy like crystal and I am not sure if this stamp came from a mold or was hand carved. Lastly, a Japanese person wrote down what they believed to be the translation, however, this person said that the writing is very fancy at not common Kanji. Any help will be appreciated. ???

Mahalo
HBF
 

Attachments

  • DSC00445.webp
    DSC00445.webp
    11.9 KB · Views: 368
  • DSC00447.webp
    DSC00447.webp
    9.1 KB · Views: 355
  • DSC00448.webp
    DSC00448.webp
    5 KB · Views: 399
  • DSC00449.webp
    DSC00449.webp
    13.6 KB · Views: 374
  • DSC00450.webp
    DSC00450.webp
    12.4 KB · Views: 374
I'm guessing it is the Chinese equivalent of the Hanko called a Chop. Can't say how old it might be. They still make them. Here is a pic of some characters you can get on them.

Chops%20key.jpg


DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Those are ancient Chinese characters that the Chinese to this day use on their "chop". The fact that they are old characters does not necessarily mean the chop is old. Conversely, it doesn't mean that it is not old either. It is most likely a persons name. It could be a Chinese name or a Chinese version of a western name. I had one made for me in Taiwan and the character style is very similar. A chop is used like a signet ring or stamp. It's pressed into red ink, pressed on paper and is considered an official signature. Loosing one's chop is like loosing your check book. Anyone could use your name.

Beautiful find. I would research it more to see if you can find the owner. Chops are still made all over and perhaps in the old Chinese area you could find someone that makes them and can decifer the characters. Great mystery.

Tom
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom