591.7 KB · Views: 62

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
No idea what that is, but it is uniquely beautiful whatever it is!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
snaps

snaps

May 6, 2009
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Goldmaxx, Compass GSP, Garrett Infinium
Creskol and Mudflap, thanks yea unusual for sure. ffuries, thanks yea its 6 inches thats a real possibility, didnt think of it.

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
There were literally umpteen thousand and eleven variations of seed plates for about the same amount of seed drills, corn planters, etc. My guess is that your item is one of those seed plates. While I have yet to find a match, here is a google image search that show some equally bizarre in design: antique cast iron seed planter seed plate

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the top of a free standing ash tray. A shallow dish would sit in the middle for the ashes. The center crossbar looks like it has a attachment nub where the vertical bar would attach, and then down to a base. Something like this. I guess it could be used as a plant stand holding a flower pot too.

Attachments

• ashtray.jpg
    ashtray.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
snaps

snaps

May 6, 2009
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Goldmaxx, Compass GSP, Garrett Infinium
Wow thanks guys, not to sound too diplomatic, but every guess seems valid! The joker would be the center cross bar/ attachment hole and nub as cudamark described, and how it attached.Seems a little dainty for the ash tray stand,and nothing is dished or cup-shaped, woudnt  have any attachment stuff  on a trivet, would sort of work on a seed plate, but whats that hole for? Stove grate, maybe... cant tell if its cast or wrought, ARC, is there an easy way to tell? Goldielocks, I think thats a trivet you mentioned. Well I am ruling out one guess- a buddy said it was a cylinder for a Tommy gun! 

Upvote 0

desertexplorer

Dec 30, 2018
Las Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Creskol is right about your find being part of a planter and also about there being a plethora of common and obscure planter plates. There were a lot of planters made in the 1800’s and early 1900’s and a lot of different types of planter plates. Here’s one from some obscure planter manufacturer I found on-line that is similar to your find... ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1597115561.695123.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread