What's new

Overlaying old maps, aerial photos, etc

menotomymaps

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Messages
271
Reaction score
68
Golden Thread
0
Location
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to make use of the hundreds of old maps, photos and aerial photos I have.
I'm hoping to put these things together and create a good research tool.
Here's my first attempt, please look at the one titled "Concept map: Today, 1930s, 1890s, 1870s ".

http://oldroads.com/oldmaps/

Thanks for any ideas and input.
-Vin
 
Great work!

I wish I could do overlays, waiting on a better video card for computer.

Sue
 
Thanks for the feedback!
I'm wondering how I can make this a useful reasearch tool for a lot of people.
I guess I should start by trying to do some metropolitan areas where more people live and hunt?
Should I try to do large sections?
The 1870s maps don't line up too well with the satellite maps. But the 1890s topos line up surprisingly well.
 
I just posted a quick overlay of a trotting park (horse race track).
You'd never know it was there.
I'm also seeing places with different uses over the years, for example a place that was a 'show bowl' for concerts in the 1870, then it becomes a trolley stop 30 years later, then it is an empty field in the 1930s and becomes a ballpark today.
 
I know just enough with a computer to be dangerous I have a site that says i can overlay maps but i cant
make it happen So i went old school using tracing paper witch has a wax kind of base and make sure
markers dont bleed through Yes i do have a nice LCD screen I do suggest tyring this before your third cup of joe
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom