I am not normal. I have come to realize that but I am ok with it. After digging deep junk nugget detecting in hard ground digging trash on a beach is actually pleasant. I just wander along, get a beep, dig it up, put it in the pouch. Not a care in the world, having a great time, relaxed as can be. Life does not get much better than detecting on a quiet beach, which by coincidence I will be doing today. Off season, no people, just me and my detector.
I am addicted to raw PI power and every time I go to VLF I feel like I am skimming the surface leaving stuff behind. I have seen discrimination systems lie and lie and lie and so have no faith in them when hunting jewelry except when cherry picking.
So I just go along and dig the hair pins and bottle caps and pull tabs and common coins and with a hot PI even staples and little bits of wire. I use my nugget scoop a lot for that little stuff.
Sometimes I actually find some jewelry, though usually it is not worth a lot. And every once in awhile I make a find that makes me stop and think about how great life is and how much fun I am having. And then I dig some more stuff, mostly trash, just having the best of times.
I am not in a race. I am not calculating good finds per hours. I am just doing what I like doing best, getting out detecting. Fabulous finds totally optional, I am still enjoying myself.
But that is just me. And as I said, I do not think I am normal.