Pa. Department of Transportation resorts to Blackmail to Raise Gas Prices & wages

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pendot on the Job ?

HARRISBURG - A legislative impasse over a transportation funding bill is the catalyst for the state Department of Transportation's announcement Aug. 22 that about 1,000 structurally deficient state and local bridges will be posted with weight restrictions or have increased restrictions.
The average motorist driving a 1.5-ton vehicle isn't likely to be affected, but drivers of delivery trucks, ambulances, firetrucks and tractor-trailers, which can weigh up to 40 tons, will be, said Mr. Schoch.
Indirectly, motorists will feel the impact with increased traffic congestion as truck drivers change routes and the cost of consumer goods carried by trucks going up, Mr. Schoch said.

A bill approved by the Senate on a bipartisan vote would generate up to $2.5 billion annually for road and bridge work within five years by lifting the cap on a state wholesale tax on gasoline within three years and increasing motorist fees and a surcharge for moving vehicle violations. Of that amount, $510 million would go under the Senate bill for mass transit agencies.
A bill approved by the House Transportation Committee would generate up to $2 billion for road and bridge work within five years by lifting the wholesale cap within five years. The bill would fund mass transit with a $1 increase in a tire tax, 3 percent vehicle lease fee and some transfers of fee revenue.
"If we don't deal with it, I'll be back next spring with a (new) list," Mr. Schoch said.

MORE: Pa. limits bridge traffic - News - The Citizen Standard

Last edited:

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like the way things are here in Michigan.
The last few decades we have been hit with multiple wholesale gas tax increases, raises in the price of registering your car/truck whatever, all for better roads and fixes to infrastructure, ex. Aging bridges, well let me say, Michigan has some of the worst roads I have ever seen, I'm talking potholes that can swallow a compact car whole.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the way things are here in Michigan.
The last few decades we have been hit with multiple wholesale gas tax increases, raises in the price of registering your car/truck whatever, all for better roads and fixes to infrastructure, ex. Aging bridges, well let me say, Michigan has some of the worst roads I have ever seen, I'm talking potholes that can swallow a compact car whole.

Yes same here. it is hard to drive on the roads here without hitting them.

I didn't read the full article I posted, Because it's been on the News,
But what gets me he said right out.

there is nothing wrong with the Bridges in PA,
But in order to get people to support Gas taxes & Licensing increases he is Purposely going to
Lower Weight Limits, to Force us to either pay more to trucking firms etc through prices, & force safety issues through Fire Trucks rerouting,

Or beg to give it to Pendot :(

in other words he pretty much admitted on live TV it is Blackmail :(

sand of course once they get the money, all the top brass at Pendot will get raises,
Bridge limits will be removed & nothing will change till next years Budget talks, When they use it again.

Last edited:

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well as far as weight limits go, at least here in Michigan we have seasonal weight limits, at least in rural farming areas.
In the early spring, something to do with the freezing and thawing overnight, very heavy things like tractor trailers, combines etc. Bust up the roads something awful.
Any farmers on here care to comment, that would be cool.

Anyway, I try not to stray off-topic if I can, my mind is the equivalent of a Indy 500 race in full swing combined with a top fuel funny car...lol, zoom zoom.

But openly admitting to blackmail..well that's the name of the game in politics, think they call it horse trading.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread