Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, as always, your wife is right...get used to it! LOL

Seriously, yes.

Mine it and recycle it!

OP
OP
K

kmil10

Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Kevin....may bring some of them home too. For the missus :laughing7:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've saved a few myself, they're cool :-)

Mine it and recycle it!

bottolfsonr

Sep 28, 2012
new richmond, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey there, im located Near Hudson Wisconsin, im planning on heading to Leesburg VA in a few weeks for a remodeling job for some family their. was wondering if there are any locations near there worth prospecting if any. and i have been having a hard time figuring out the regulations for the area. would a guy bring a highbanker or is that over kill for the area? any information would be greatly welcomed!

thanks folks!

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
has anyone had anyluck or ever tried panning on some of the streams in Tazewell VA?

Golden-Boys

Mar 14, 2013
Richmond Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would like to find others who want to pan in Virginia. I am from Richmond and have 2 young boys who want to find rocks and gold. Just ordered a few pans, should be in by friday.

OP
OP
K

kmil10

Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would like to find others who want to pan in Virginia. I am from Richmond and have 2 young boys who want to find rocks and gold. Just ordered a few pans, should be in by friday.

I am also from Richmond. Will be out with my son tomorrow. He's not into panning but loves being out in nature (and up in trees)

Shelby68GT500

Mar 28, 2013
Col. John Mosby Resting Place
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kmil10, I'm up north a bit from you and within a half hour drive of the Museum in Goldvein. I've also been reading alot about prospecting in VA, lots of gold and other relic history all within an hours drive for me. But, I'm not finding anything that outlines where you can legally pan (other than the museum grounds). I've got alot of ideas on where I'd like to pan (a number of rivers and streams), but don't want a rear full of lead or a pricey ticket for my efforts. Shenandoah National Park & George Washington National Forest are also on my list, but do they fall under BLM? BLM appears to state that it is legal, but what I've read online about SNP, it is a no no...
I for one would be very interested in a local VA GP chapter and would join in a minute. I've also got about the next month off, so I'm very itchy to get out and start scratching... My son (11) is more "meh" about panning now, but there is no doubt that one small flake or nugget brought home would have him spending his allowance on a pan... He can't get enough of the Alaska GM show (not the Nome one where every other word is bleeped out)....

Golden-Boys

Mar 14, 2013
Richmond Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking about trying Fredricksburg. I stopped by there yesterday and it looked like a great location, but I have not heard of them having any gold in there.

Shelby68GT500

Mar 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Golden, From what I recall reading, gold was first discovered in VA in the Rappahannock river near Fredericksburg. Just west of Fredericksburg, on a line going NE to SW is supposed to be a "gold belt" of VA. So there is definitely gold around that area... I'd really like to try the Rappahannock further upstream, around my neck of the woods.....

Shelby68GT500

Mar 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was with some friends camping along the Rappahannock River last night and came out this morning to walk along the shoreline for a bit. Ran across about a 50 yard long stretch were the ground was covered in a thin layer of what appeared to be black sand. It was very fine and I didn't see any flakes or anything in it, but was just curious if this is the black sand that you would normally associate with finding gold.
2013-04-20_08-26-31_58.jpg

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Unless what you saw was bit of wood/leaves, then yes! Wave and river action will concentrate black sand and gold that way sometimes...time to grab a pan!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin do you think there is gold In Tazewell VA

No idea...you do know I am in Colorado right!?

I would suggest some time spent doing google searches to find out...

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found no articles of gold in that part of VA but that doesn't mean it's not impossible right

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
try out VA-Gold for lease sites. like Contrary Creek in Mineral Va

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions