Pay dirt question

Across

Greenie
Mar 28, 2012
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
BH Discovery 3300 - We all started somewhere!
Minelab Excalibur II 800
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

I have read several post on here about pay dirt. I would like to take a moment to run a few of my thoughts by the more senior members here. I am not so much asking for where to find them, as I have already decided to go with one of the Tnet posters that has been recommended several times. My main intention behind this post is finding out if it is worth it in my situation.

I have been interested in metal detecting and gold panning for some time now, but things just keep getting worse for me. I was medically retired from the army almost two years ago for anxiety and sleep issues. Things like metal detecting an d gold panning go a long way in helping me take my mind off of stuff. However, I also have three degenerating disc in my back. I found out last year my disc problem stems from the fact that I do in fact have osteopenia. Needless to say I don't get to do my hobbies very much anymore.

I wanted to share that small back story so that I could explain my rational a bit clearer. My latest thought is to look at buying bags of pay dirt and spend 30 to 40 minutes everyday panning. I have a sluice and several pans, but would likely just pan slowly and avoid doing the sluice so that I can get more time out of it. I pretty much can't go out to any of the local areas anymore because it is just to hard on my back and wrist. The time I would spend locating even a halfway decent area in a creek would be more then I could handle in a day.

I also joined my local gpaa chapter last year but anxiety wise it was just to much on me. It seems there are plenty of gold panners in NC! I am not really into the whole crowd thing, even more so when it has been days since I slept.

So, on to I my questions. With all of this in mind, how feasible is it to buy bags of pay dirt or even concentrates and come close to breaking even or slightly less? I realize that I won't get rich. My main intent is to have something to do as a hobby and help me relax.

Also, what would be the better type to buy for my situation? I am leaning more towards raw pay dirt and not the concentrate. My thinking here is I get would get more time for the money.

Thank you for reading and I apologize about the wall of text!

Upvote 0

mr_rich

Aug 21, 2013
Ormond Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought about buying a couple pounds of that quartz with the gold in it that guy advertises just to play around with it. But I don't know the grade or the amount you could get from it. If you do it, please post or send me a pm and let me know how it turns out? I've looked for that creek on that Spanish etching that shows the natives searching for gold in FL and never found it.

Colorider

Greenie
Aug 11, 2013
Westminster co
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have purchased paydirt from ebay and amazon. Both were fun as hell to pan and practice with. Just read the reviews and feedback to decide on who's stuff to buy. Well worth the $ for entertainment value.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
across
back in the day, i was introduced to a pal of a pal whom i detected with at aprks and beachs, this guy was stuck in a wheel chair but learned he used to mine before the bike crash, he asked me if i would bring back some moss from my trips to the claim, so taking breaks while dredging i woulkd fill up a five gallon bucket 1/2 to 3/4 full, he got a kick out of this and I was always amazed how much gold he found
maybe a member of GPAA or someone spend a moment out of thier day, bring back a bucket

thanks for your service

korbin99

Tenderfoot
Sep 2, 2013
Thermal city mine in union mills n.c. sells and ships paydirt to you. Last time I looked it was $40.00 a bag plus shipping and handling. Lucky strike mine just down the road from thermal city mine sells paydirt but I don't know of they ship or not.

korbin99

Tenderfoot
Sep 2, 2013
Also where r u in n.c.? I live just south of hickory, and thank you for your service and I hope things get better for you.

keitha43

Jun 14, 2013
Moore, Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't know if you would ever break even but if you think about it many times people go out to a site and either find little or no gold. At least with most paydirt shipping they guarantee you will have some gold. Some even "salt" the paydirt "just in case" that sample of paydirt is lacking. I bought some from a member here that has a site in Alaska and even though the gold was worth only about 1/2 the cost I was happy with it. Lets face it if the gold was enough to break even or turn a profit then they would be losing money selling it to us.

korbin99

Tenderfoot
Sep 2, 2013
Lucky strike salts their paydirt, but I don't mind they guarantee some nice pieces of gold. I have generally got half to three quarters of a gram out of their bags. They have a variety of bags for different prices. Higher the price, nicer the gold.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've read several extensive analytic write ups where guys bought lots of pay dirt from lots of places. The best you will do is about 1/2 return on your money. Anything better than that is a pleasant surprise indeed.

The most cost effective ideas are either to get a local club to help you out...trust me, they would be honored to do so! Or you can buy some gold flake on eBay and make your own pay dirt or would that be play dirt? LOL! Seriously the idea of shipping dirt around means you'll never find someone who can afford to run a business and send you full value.

Marmentman

Sep 10, 2013
La Plata, nm
Detector(s) used
Gold stinger
Primary Interest:
Other
I also served for four years as a corpsman in va., I value every persons service. Thank you for your sacrifice. I would be willing to snd you some of my concentrates just for playing around with. Will not make much on them but it is nice to see gold in the pan no matter how small. If you are interested let me know via pm.

OP
OP
A

Across

Greenie
Mar 28, 2012
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
BH Discovery 3300 - We all started somewhere!
Minelab Excalibur II 800
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate everyone's response here. I never really thought about the fact that so many times when I went out before I never came close to breaking even. I like the idea of play dirt, Kevin, but I really like the surprise in the pan!

Marmentman, thank you for your service as well and your kind words. I really appreciate the offer but I would want to pay for anything I get. I feel that the time you would spend should be compensated as well.

The route I think I will go is talking with the mathews GPAA chapter that I am a member of about just normal pay dirt. I will also buy several pounds a month from Elkie just to have more concentrated bags to play with. Again, thank you ur all of your responses everyone. I will let you know how things go!

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good luck and best wishes. It's a pleasure to have service members around, thank you for giving your time and energy to this beautiful country!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I appreciate everyone's response here. I never really thought about the fact that so many times when I went out before I never came close to breaking even. I like the idea of play dirt, Kevin, but I really like the surprise in the pan! Marmentman, thank you for your service as well and your kind words. I really appreciate the offer but I would want to pay for anything I get. I feel that the time you would spend should be compensated as well. The route I think I will go is talking with the mathews GPAA chapter that I am a member of about just normal pay dirt. I will also buy several pounds a month from Elkie just to have more concentrated bags to play with. Again, thank you ur all of your responses everyone. I will let you know how things go!

Sounds like a great plan. Btw, I like the surprise in the pan too.

tyeechinook

Sep 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a 90 dollar bag from a fellow named rob. Try yourfevercurestore.com. I'm my bag I found 3 grams of gold including a 1.2 gram nugget!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread