Pennsylvania Cellarhole (Montana Jim & Mona Lisa) / Update on tag ID!

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Pennsylvania Cellarhole (Montana Jim & Mona Lisa) / Update on tag ID!

It's been a long time since we've posted but we want to share a few finds from a cellarhole hunt Lisa and I enjoyed last month... with special thanks to Lisa's brother-in-law, Steve, who put us in touch with his cousin, Will, who got us to the cellarhole to hunt.

It was a great day in the woods with perfect weather and no bugs. Will gave us each an ATV ride up the hill to the site and, we walked out a few hours later - with some cool finds.

Sorry - no pictures from the site... but rest assured it was a typical cellarhole in beautiful PA. The finds were typical, a little trash, lots of iron, and the few interesting keepers pictured below.

These are found at most sites - salt & paper shaker tops, spoons, a few curtain hanger loops, some clock gears, a tag, a harness buckle, a piece of leather boot with lace hooks, and some miscellaneous brass stuff.

IMG_0422.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_0424.JPG

IMG_0431.JPG

We also found these two buckles... both with a basic scroll design - very cool.

IMG_0427.JPG

IMG_0429.JPG

We also found this pottery/plate piece - circa 1890ish.

3.jpg

This rein guide was cool too... common, but neat to find.

2.jpg

We dug this lock, probebly from a chest or box, made by the Eagle Lock Company. It's sporting an eagle with shield.

IMG_0436.JPG

This last piece was my favorite... and a first for me to dig! It's a mid 1800s brass black powder pistol flask. My research has been inconclusive on it's origins, but there are some nice examples of this very flask online. It's a patriotic piece, possibly military, with the words "E-Pluribus Unum" scrolled across the bottom of each side. It's one of my favorite finds ever! Worthless - but it'll display really cool.

1.jpg

As always... thanks for looking!

Upvote 0
Re: Pennsylvania Cellarhole (Montana Jim & Mona Lisa)

some great looking find there.... love seeing comparisons with other pics too..thanks for sharing

I bet the salt & paper shaker tops sounded pretty good! :tongue3: The powder flask is cool, just too bad they usually look like that.

Great Finds :icon_thumright: Always nice to see pieces of history shared on here.

Love that powder flask!!!

HH
MB

Looks like it was a pretty successful hunt, welcome back.

HH Charlie

That flask is a great find. Kind of makes you wonder how it was lost. Maybe the owner dropped it, and then, after firing off his pistol, realized it was missing and...too late; robbed by highwaymen.

Cool powder flask!

And thanks for IDing the rein guide!!! I keep finding those and have been wondering what they were. (My best guess was something to tie off a horse to.)

_R_

Jim and Lisa,

I am so happy to see a post from you two! :hello:

It's great that you had a bit of luck. Those powder flasks are not common finds. I've dug two--at the same site--in 18 years. Rodeo Recon dug one last year (both panels). And no one else on my team had dug one.

It'll display great, and you may be able to find someone who has "The Powder Flask Book" by Ray Riling. That book will give you a positive ID and time frame for this relic.

That heart shaped piece is a suspender clip design patented in 1850. Similar to the one in this post (ID confirmed in reply #14):

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,145653.0.html

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Iron Patch said:
I bet the salt & paper shaker tops sounded pretty good! :tongue3: The powder flask is cool, just too bad they usually look like that.

Yea they rang up like a coin for sure... solid and repeatable! We each found one.

BuckleBoy said:
Jim and Lisa,

I am so happy to see a post from you two! :hello:

It's great that you had a bit of luck. Those powder flasks are not common finds. I've dug two--at the same site--in 18 years. Rodeo Recon dug one last year (both panels). And no one else on my team had dug one.

That heart shaped piece is a suspender clip design patented in 1850. Similar to the one in this post (ID confirmed in reply #14):

Buckles

It's my first, and I love it the flask... no question it'll be a great memory.

Thanks for the patent link, I had forgotten about that post.

Hope you're enjoying the sheet music when you get the chance.

Take care Bucky

nice hunt!!!!!! MR TUFF

:wave: Jim :wave: Lisa

By the looks of these awesome finds, y'all had a good day detecting. :icon_thumright: Congrats on the finds!!

:wink: RR

Those are some nice relics :icon_thumleft: and thanks for pointing out the rein guides. I have found a couple of those and finally know what they are! I also found a flask last year but mine is much worse shape than yours. Nice digs!

Montana Jim said:
Hope you're enjoying the sheet music when you get the chance.

Take care Bucky

Absolutely. I read through part of the music yesterday. :thumbsup:

I've missed the MJ posts with the red backgrounds. Don't be a stranger, my friend.

-Buckles

Great to see you posting your alls finds and to hear cellar hole finds are happening again!

Nice finds Jim.I have quite a collection of rein guides myself but have never seen how they were used till now....thanks !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back